Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Grind issues
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Grind issues  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
raytracer

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Wed Jan 13, 2010, 12:42pm
Subject: Grind issues

Lately my coffee quality seems to have been diminishing. I've pretty much ruled out beans (always buy green), roast (several diff methods, most recently Behmor), and brewing method (again, several diff methods, aeropress and moka mostly - never espresso).
So it has led me to focus on the component I have been neglecting the most, my grinder. I have a Solis Maestro plus. Had it for about two years. I examined the grind consistency today and it seems to be way way inconsistent, but I'm not 100% sure what I'm looking at. What do you think?
I've been thinking about a manual grinder since I only drink 4 or 5 cups a day.

raytracer: IMG_7981-1.JPG
(Click for larger image)
 View Profile Link to this post
raytracer

Posted Wed Jan 13, 2010, 12:43pm
Subject: Re: Grind issues

another view

raytracer: IMG_7983.JPG
(Click for larger image)
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Wed Jan 13, 2010, 2:21pm

Let's just say "not my favorite grinder," and leave it at that.  Many people love their manual grinders; the best source for them, new or used, is Orphan Espresso -- be sure to read the descriptions, as they are quite accurate and will clearly say what type of coffee preparation "x" grinder is good for (and not good for).

Personally, unless there's a power failure, I'm hard-pressed to see myself using a hand-grinder.  Therefore I would suggest this . . .

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
raytracer

Posted Wed Jan 13, 2010, 2:37pm

JasonBrandtLewis Said:

Personally, unless there's a power failure, I'm hard-pressed to see myself using a hand-grinder.  Therefore I would suggest this . . .

Posted January 13, 2010 link

Would that be much of an upgrade over my Maestro +? If I didn't go the manual route, at what point should I consider just biting the bullet and getting a Mazzer or Rocky? I dont currently have an espresso machine but probably will in the next few years.
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Wed Jan 13, 2010, 2:59pm

Personally, I'd pass on both the Rocky and the Mazzer.  The Rocky is something that you can do much better than, and no Mazzer is all that easy to switch in between aeropress, moka, drip, espresso, and so on . . .

IF you want to seriously upgrade your grinder, and IF you think you will eventually get some form of espresso machine, bite the proverbial bullet sooner rather than later and get the Baratza Vario!

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
raytracer

Posted Wed Jan 13, 2010, 3:51pm

Ok - i'll keep that in mind. I guess my main question is - for $80 I can pick up a Zass - would that be much better than my Maestro+ just to hold me over for another year or so?
GarryG

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini II
Grinder: La Cimbali Jr.,Breville
Drip: Chemex, Krups, Bodum...
Posted Sun Jan 24, 2010, 10:39pm

Have you cleaned your grinder?  Over time, a grinder can accumulate coffee oil that imparts an off taste to the coffee.  The Maestro + can be disassembled without too much difficulty, but an easier solution is to buy a container of Grindz (available at specialty coffee shops, including Chris Coffee), and run some of that through.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Grind issues  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.25614118576)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+