Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
New Chemex - wow.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > New Chemex -...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
sfuller

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Sat Jan 9, 2010, 2:38pm
Subject: New Chemex - wow.

Just purchased a Chemex today from a local coffee shop. I'm amazed at the difference between the cups from my press this AM and the cups I just had from the Chemex now. Somehow I see my coffee consumption going up over the next few weeks. I'll have to start saving pennies for a new grinder next.
 View Profile Link to this post
GarryG

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini II
Grinder: La Cimbali Jr.,Breville
Drip: Chemex, Krups, Bodum...
Posted Sun Jan 10, 2010, 10:03pm
Subject: Re: New Chemex - wow.

Welcome to Coffeegeek and the wonderful world of Chemex.  I got my first Chemex in 1961, and I've gone through a few since (unfortunately, glass does break occasionally), but I still love the coffee it can produce, and there's nothing else I had in my kitchen back then that I still consider an essential.  The Chemex, unlike an espresso machine, is pretty forgiving about grinders, and I got by for many years with one of those whirly-blade things.  Assuming that your water isn't adding off tastes, the quality and freshness of the coffee is the primary thing that affects what you get in the cup.   To my taste, Chemex gives coffee a special clarity and crispness that lets any coffee deliver whatever it has to offer.  Partly that's the filters, but a lot of it is the glass.  With other drip machines, the filter is generally parked in a piece of plastic that inevitably absorbs coffee oils so that over time the quality of what you're drinking goes steadily downhill.  If you haven't tried it, by the way, a 50/50 combo of a light (American or City) and a dark roast works very well in the Chemex.

At home, I mostly split my coffee drinking between Chemex and espresso.   I have a press, and I like it, but I don't use it a lot.  For me, it usually comes down to a choice between the Chemex and a good doppio.   But the espresso takes more effort, and is  more dependent on good (= expensive) equipment and technique.  It's hard to screw up Chemex short of boiling it, although a gas range is helpful because it makes it easier to add just enough heat to keep the second and third cup from getting cold.
sfuller

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Mon Jan 11, 2010, 7:33pm

I have a good friend with an expensive (to me) espresso maker and a dedicated grinder. I love the taste of the shots he pulls, but that's a bit beyond the point I'm at right now. Water quality isn't an issue (I don't think) as we have a good reverse osmosis system that I pull most of the water for my coffee making from. I'm also working with a gas stove, but I haven't gotten brave enough to put the chemex on it yet :) I've definitely figured out that I'm going to have to be a lot more selective with my bean freshness (which is probably a good thing).
GarryG

Posted Mon Jan 11, 2010, 11:09pm

At low temp, a gas burner won't damage the Chemex as long as there's liquid in it.  I find that putting it on a low simmer for a minute or less as the drip process is finishing works very well --  the idea isn't to heat the coffee but to give the Chemex just enough heat to keep the coffee hot for another ten minutes.  Occasionally, I get distracted and forget to turn it off, and come back in a few minutes to coffee that's not much better than I could get at a truck stop, but even if the coffee starts to boil, there's no harm to the Chemex.

Coffee is at its best about three days after it was roasted, but fresh beans hold up pretty well at room temp for a week or so.  I buy a few pounds at a time of light and dark roasts from suppliers who provide a roast date (there's lots of info on this board about good coffee sources).  I freeze the beans that I don't expect to use within a week, and bring out a few days' supply at a time as needed.   I've been tempted by the uber-geeky idea of roasting my own beans, but there's so much good coffee out there that's been roasted by folks who really know what they're doing that I've resisted the temptations so far.

For espresso, expensive machine and dedicated grinder are pretty much essential, but that can wait.  Meanwhile, you can have lots of fun experimenting with the Chemex.
tjkoko

Espresso: Bialetti Moka Pot
Grinder: Baratza Preciso and Turkish...
Drip: Meiltta filter with cone
Roaster: Whirlypop Stovetop Unit,...
Posted Tue Jan 12, 2010, 4:24am

<<At low temp, a gas burner won't damage the Chemex as long as there's liquid in it.  I find that putting it on a low simmer for a minute or less as the drip process is finishing works very well --  the idea isn't to heat the coffee but to give the Chemex just enough heat to keep the coffee hot for another ten minutes.>>

What about prewarming the glass by pouring boiling water into it and allowing it to set for a couple of minutes?

With all said and done, I've switched to roasting by own green coffee beans which takes about 12-14 minutes per half pound.  Fresh roasted beans then reach their peak of flavor in around 4-11 days thereafter and green coffee beans cost anywhere from $3 upwards per pound delivered to your door.  For THAT you need to visit either COFFEEGEEK.COM or SWEETMARIAS.COM.
GarryG

Posted Sun Jan 24, 2010, 10:55pm

At low temp, a gas burner won't damage the Chemex as long as there's liquid in it.  I find that putting it on a low simmer for a minute or less as the drip process is finishing works very well --  the idea isn't to heat the coffee but to give the Chemex just enough heat to keep the coffee hot for another ten minutes. ...x]

WHat waout prewarming the glass by pouring boiling water into it and allowing it to set for a couple of minutes?

x]

That works too, and eliminates the risk of overheating the coffee, but for no particular reason I mostly just use a brief hit with the gas -- as I pour the last cup of hot water into the Chemex, I move the Chemex onto the burner where my glass teakettle has been on a flame simmering water for the coffee.    Ás an aside, I think the glass Whistling Teakettle that you can buy for about $10 at multiple websites is a nice example of appropriate technology.
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Mon Jan 25, 2010, 9:04am

My gas stove has a "precision simmer" burner, meaning I can fine tune it very low -- I keep it on while brewing with my Chemex.  No problems to either the Chemex or to the coffee, as long as I don't leave the coffee on the heat for a long time.

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > New Chemex -...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.240624904633)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+