Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
TECHNIVORM KNOCKOFF? Anyone tried the DeLonghi DCM900?
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > TECHNIVORM...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 13 of 15 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
CraigA
CraigA
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: PID/PressureMod 2001...
Grinder: BUNN FPG-2 DBC, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos manual, Yama 5...
Drip: Behmor BraZen, BUNN VPR-APS,...
Roaster: Refurb Behmor 1600, BBQ...
Posted Sat Aug 27, 2011, 7:36am
Subject: Re: TECHNIVORM KNOCKOFF? Anyone tried the DeLonghi DCM900?

gime2much Said:

Perhaps Craig....but I'll wait until I see all the restaurants and convenience stores replace their Bunns with these.

Posted August 26, 2011 link

I have 4 commercial Bunn units. {;-)

I know a Bunn will out last me and parts will always be available.

Absolutely, Good ol' "Made in the US of A" all the way! {;-D
My point being I would rather have this lighter than a Bunn grade of stainless steel Avantco brewer than a cheap thermoplastic pos, no offense..

http://twitter.com/CoffeegeekCraig
http://www.facebook.com/craig.andrews.169

Excellent coffee doesn't just happen!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
EricBNC
EricBNC
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: QM Silvano, LP Stradivarius,...
Grinder: K30, Major, Preciso, Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam C30, Bodum Santos...
Drip: Bonavita BV-1800,...
Roaster: Behmor, Melitta, Fresh...
Posted Sat Aug 27, 2011, 9:12am

IMAWriter Said:

OT, but responding to Jon. I have the STX, purchased for $129. 50 oz capacity )1.7L.
What I like is that you can use it and a toaster oven on the same circuit at the same time with no tripping the breaker.
3 year warranty as well.

It is nice to have hot water instantly as well. I recirculate my tank at least once a day through use, so the water is pretty fresh come brew time.
For those unfamiliar with the Bunn technology, it has a tank that holds water at 200f until you pour cold water into the filling area. You get exactly the water you displaced, only it's at around 200f. Brew time with the restricted brew head attachment is about 4:45 for a full 1/7 L.
With the 6 hole head from the BTX, brew time is 4 minutes flat. The stock brew head (they're really just screw on button-like attachments) is a new design, but I find it puts too much water straight down into the basket, and because the basket isn't conical, it makes for weaker coffee.
A slightly finer than drip grind works best for me.

Again, sorry if this info hijacked the thread a bit.

Posted August 26, 2011 link

Sorry for hijacking it even further but this post gets a "+1" from me.  My BUNN home use machine is the NHBX-B which is a little cheaper and probably has a corner or two cut to make it so, but it works exactly the way this post describes.  I like it so much I haven't fired up my Curtis Alpha SS commercial pour over since the BUNN came home. The Alpha was an impulse buy back when my hunt for the best coffee maker was still in high gear. Sure, it works, but for home use it is overkill.  I really do not need a pot on the warmer waiting while the next full pot is brewing - I have a home, not a diner.  

These bigger toys are great, built like tanks, made to reliably brew gallons of coffee day in/day out, but someone has to drink or serve a lot of coffee for there to be a clear cut advantage over the BUNN home models.

I chew coffee beans with my teeth while gargling with 195 F water to enjoy coffee. What is this "coffee brewing" device you speak of?
 View Profile Link to this post
CraigA
CraigA
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: PID/PressureMod 2001...
Grinder: BUNN FPG-2 DBC, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos manual, Yama 5...
Drip: Behmor BraZen, BUNN VPR-APS,...
Roaster: Refurb Behmor 1600, BBQ...
Posted Sat Aug 27, 2011, 9:23am

EricBNC Said:

These bigger toys are great, built like tanks, made to reliably brew gallons of coffee day in/day out, but someone has to drink or serve a lot of coffee for there to be a clear cut advantage over the BUNN home models.

Posted August 27, 2011 link

I had & have a BUNN home unit (the BUNN ThermoFresh BTX-B (BT10-B), way before I had my commercial units., as listed in my profile equipment. {;-)

http://twitter.com/CoffeegeekCraig
http://www.facebook.com/craig.andrews.169

Excellent coffee doesn't just happen!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
EricBNC
EricBNC

Posted Sat Aug 27, 2011, 9:35am

CraigA Said:

I had & have a BUNN home unit (the BUNN ThermoFresh BTX-B (BT10-B), way before I had my commercial units., as listed in my profile equipment. {;-)

+1 for you too then!

I would save or find the extra $50 or more to buy one of these BUNN units before sending $44 to Amazon for the DeLonghi.  It is not often I can resist temptation when it comes to coffee makers, but based on reviews, the DeLonghi looks like a heart breaker even at that close out price.

Ask yourself, if it is as good as a $300 Technivorm (and by "good as" I mean performance and reliability), then why are they selling these for $44?

I chew coffee beans with my teeth while gargling with 195 F water to enjoy coffee. What is this "coffee brewing" device you speak of?
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vintage La Pavoni Lever...
Grinder: Breville Smartgrind,...
Vac Pot: Vintage Silex, Nicro...
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: javaPRO-CRC AIR Fluid Bed...
Posted Sat Aug 27, 2011, 9:39am

EricBNC Said:

+1 for too then!

I would save or find the extra $50 or more to buy one of these BUNN units before sending $44 to Amazon for the DeLonghi.  It is not often I can resist temptation when it comes to coffee makers, but based on reviews, the DeLonghi looks like a heart breaker even at that close out price.

Ask yourself, if it is as good as a $300 Technivorm (and by "good as" I mean performance and reliability), then why are they selling these for $44?

I went to other sites and it appears that the Delonghi has been discontinued.  Maybe safety issues?  Just speculating.  From what I read, some people were having issues with the base leaking?  All aluminum shell plus water leakage + electricity = ZAPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP

However again just speculating.  But if it has been discontinued, maybe they are looking to correct any issues it may have.  It is a purty looking machine and there are many favorable reviews on amazon about it.

Len

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

Bitcoin Merchant www.CoffeeRoastersClub.com     www.javaPRO-CRC.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
EricBNC
EricBNC

Posted Sat Aug 27, 2011, 10:38am

Agreed - it looks great even in the customer photos on Amazon.  Something went wrong though - this thread is almost two years old and started with a comment from the OP about a unit with great specs being sold at a deep discount.  Two years later they are still trying to unload these things for a song.  

If the consensus was even a hint more favorable these units would have cleared out by now like the Melitta Clarity and Presto Scandia discount TV Killers that came before it.

kmusgrave

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Mon Aug 29, 2011, 2:41pm

So, are there any reasonable "TV Killers" out there?  Obviously I have to replace my DCM900 now, but I am not sure which direction to head.
EricBNC
EricBNC

Posted Mon Aug 29, 2011, 3:38pm

Probably a BUNN brewer would be a good alternative - I liked recommending the MT-500 from Capresso but that model is out of production.  If the BUNN isn't acceptable then the TV might be the only game left in town.  Single serve machines are gaining in popularity every day - manufacturers probably look at that market when designing coffee makers instead of the auto drip system.  

The auto drip - welcome to tomorrow's percolator and vac pot...

kmusgrave

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Tue Aug 30, 2011, 6:15am

Would you say that the Bunn Phase Brew is a good alternative, now that it seems they have the kinks out of it?  The 4 minute brew time might be a little fast, but that could probably be slowed down with a shower head alteration.
oldgearhead
oldgearhead
Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: Virtuoso by Baratza
Drip: Chemex,Dilongi DCM900
Roaster: 1/2K Fluid-bed
Posted Fri Sep 2, 2011, 4:47pm

...and now back to the subject of this thread, the DCM900. Ater 7 months mine still makes great drip coffee. I should report that both internal fuses have failed, at different times. But it works without them, and I trust my 20 amp ground-fault breaker. The element reads 10 ohms and it passes hi-pot test to ground...

I believe the fuses failed because of the rapid switching action of the T-stat. The heater very rapidly raises the coil temperature then the t-stat shuts it off. This cycle occurs about 40 times during the last 4 minutes of the brew cycle. I don't know about Bunn, but my Bloomfield sure doesn't cycle like the DCM900.

The eBay seller still has 26 new ones for about 40 USD each. Anyone have any broken ones for sale?
showing page 13 of 15 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > TECHNIVORM...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.3641269207)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+