Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Do you stir your French Press grinds after approx 1 minute of brewing time??
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Do you stir your...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
espressobecky
espressobecky
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Izzo Alex Duetto
Grinder: Mazzer Major, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario TCA-3
Drip: French Press, Chemex
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Sun Dec 6, 2009, 7:06am
Subject: Re: Do you stir your French Press grinds after approx 1 minute of brewing time??

I just started scooping the grounds off recently as well.  I've sure noticed a difference!  Definitely a better taste.

...and on that note, I need a coffee.
 View Profile Link to this post
jmolli

Posted Mon Dec 7, 2009, 9:05pm
Subject: Re: Do you stir your French Press grinds after approx 1 minute of brewing time??

Becky,

I noticed you have a Behmor roaster.  I'm thinking of getting one.  How do you like it?

John
espressobecky
espressobecky

Espresso: Izzo Alex Duetto
Grinder: Mazzer Major, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario TCA-3
Drip: French Press, Chemex
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Wed Dec 9, 2009, 7:15am

John,

It's the best roaster I've used.  I had a Poppery and a FreshRoast+ before the Behmor.  I'm not exactly a "master roaster", so I'd still rather buy fresh roasted beans from a great roaster than roast them myself.  But that's just because I'm not as passionate about roasting coffee as I am in making great espresso.  As much as the Behmor is very simple to use, there are still a lot of variables to experiment with in roasting a coffee to it's potential.  I don't regret learning the basics, but now I'd rather just leave the roasting to the professionals and stick to making a great espresso or coffee from those beans.

Becky

...and on that note, I need a coffee.
toenail

Espresso: Modified Saeco Aroma
Grinder: Kyocera, Maestro
Drip: Bialetti Moka, Bodum press
Posted Wed Dec 9, 2009, 12:02pm

I stir twice. Once after a minute to break up the cake of blooming grounds floating atop the water, and again right before the plunge. The stir before the plunge creates the "pressure" element of the extraction process and seems to make a difference in the quality of my result. I have done comparisons with/without the second stir and there was an obvious diference to me. With the second stir right before plunging there were gounds suspended in the water that became trapped against the underside of the screen. This created considerably more resistance during the plunge, and caused the water to be forced through the gounds under pressure. The element of flavor that was added by doing this was an improvement over doing it without the second stir. YMMV.
GaryH
GaryH

Espresso: Isomac Zaffiro
Grinder: Macap M4 Doserless
Vac Pot: none
Drip: yes
Roaster: none
Posted Wed Dec 9, 2009, 2:35pm

toenail Said:

I stir twice. Once after a minute to break up the cake of blooming grounds floating atop the water, and again right before the plunge. With the second stir right before plunging there were gounds suspended in the water that became trapped against the underside of the screen. This created considerably more resistance during the plunge, and caused the water to be forced through the gounds under pressure. The element of flavor that was added by doing this was an improvement over doing it without the second stir. YMMV.

Posted December 9, 2009 link

I don't do a second stir because I scoop off the grounds floating on top of the coffee before I plunge (technique shown in this collage). Looks like the second stir is in a way similar to scooping of the floating grounds because in both cases there are no grounds that become trapped against the underside of the screen.

GaryH: Ritual_Guatemala1.jpg
(Click for larger image)
toenail

Espresso: Modified Saeco Aroma
Grinder: Kyocera, Maestro
Drip: Bialetti Moka, Bodum press
Posted Wed Dec 16, 2009, 7:29am

I must be confused about the "Press" part of a French Press. I thought in addition to acting as a filter, it also introduced the element of pressure (however modest) to the extraction process. Scooping the grounds out before the plunge or doing a "reverse" press seems counterintuitive.
jammin
jammin

Grinder: Vario-W
Vac Pot: Hario
Drip: manual
Roaster: quest m3
Posted Wed Dec 16, 2009, 7:39am

rack me up for the stir 1 minute in crew

roast your own
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Wed Dec 16, 2009, 8:45am

toenail Said:

I must be confused about the "Press" part of a French Press. I thought in addition to acting as a filter, it also introduced the element of pressure (however modest) to the extraction process.

Posted December 16, 2009 link

No, Tony.

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
TimEggers
TimEggers

Espresso: QM Anita, Cappuccino Amore
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Mazzer SJ
Vac Pot: Antique McKee, Santos
Drip: Pour Over, Bodum Presses
Roaster: RK Drum
Posted Wed Dec 16, 2009, 9:50am

I simply add the boiling water (yes boiling, the press walls will take the water to proper brew temp instantly, no need to wait) and then simply partially depress the plunger to push the grounds just below the water level.  After brewing press all the way.  Clean delicious coffee.

Tim Eggers
http://www.facebook.com/TimEggers
http://twitter.com/Tim_Eggers
http://www.youtube.com/user/TimEggers
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
lifeandpeace
lifeandpeace

Espresso: Arrarex Caravel
Grinder: BUNN G1, Zassenhaus knee
Vac Pot: Cory / Hario / Silex
Drip: cloth, glass Hario V60;...
Roaster: RK Drum, WBP II
Posted Wed Dec 16, 2009, 10:45am

Tim,

Now there's one I haven't heard. So you partially press so that there's water above and below the grounds? I'll try.

www.lampmode.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Do you stir your...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Green Unroasted Coffee
Free shipping. Save 15% on variety pack, use 'variety' at checkout
www.madbeanscoffee
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.316807031631)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+