Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Aeropress - espresso extraction
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Aeropress -...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
hunts

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: All-Clad Presso (Gaggia...
Grinder: Rocky
Drip: Cuisinart SS-1 Cup-O-Matic
Posted Sat Aug 30, 2008, 11:28pm
Subject: Aeropress - espresso extraction

Ok, I know you guys already mentioned the Aeropress does not produce true crema.  Lately, I've been tinkering with the Al-Clad Presso (discontinued in the U.S.) but sold simply as Presso now.  

That gave me the idea to use the Aeropress, tamp the grounds with the plunger, pour boiling water inside, and press.  Unfortunately, I didn't achieve the same results as I did with the Presso.  The design of the Aeropress and the Presso are similar in that they both do use a plunger mechanism to push water through the coffee grounds.  The only major difference is the presso has a portafilter attached to it.  So that got me thinking.. is it possible for us to modifiy the Aeropress to use a portafilter to make espresso?  

I was thinking of creating a separate and modified chamber that can be screwed onto the bottom of the Aeropress that may act as a handle-less portafilter.  Yeah yeah, I know.  It's a crazy idea.  And I know some of you are probably gonna say the Aeropress wouldn't produce enough bars of pressure.  But I cannot ignore how similar the Presso and Aeropress are in concept.
 View Profile Link to this post
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vintage La Pavoni Lever...
Grinder: Breville Smartgrind,...
Vac Pot: Vintage Silex, Nicro...
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: javaPRO-CRC AIR Fluid Bed...
Posted Mon Sep 1, 2008, 10:10am
Subject: Re: Aeropress - espresso extraction

hunts Said:

Ok, I know you guys already mentioned the Aeropress does not produce true crema.  Lately, I've been tinkering with the Al-Clad Presso (discontinued in the U.S.) but sold simply as Presso now.  

That gave me the idea to use the Aeropress, tamp the grounds with the plunger, pour boiling water inside, and press.  Unfortunately, I didn't achieve the same results as I did with the Presso.  The design of the Aeropress and the Presso are similar in that they both do use a plunger mechanism to push water through the coffee grounds.  The only major difference is the presso has a portafilter attached to it.  So that got me thinking.. is it possible for us to modifiy the Aeropress to use a portafilter to make espresso?  

I was thinking of creating a separate and modified chamber that can be screwed onto the bottom of the Aeropress that may act as a handle-less portafilter.  Yeah yeah, I know.  It's a crazy idea.  And I know some of you are probably gonna say the Aeropress wouldn't produce enough bars of pressure.  But I cannot ignore how similar the Presso and Aeropress are in concept.

Posted August 30, 2008 link

Personally I think you would just be replicating Aeropresses already built in "portafilter" by attaching a real portafilter to it.  Additionally if you tamped the grounds as you would with a real espresso machine, you would likely find it extremely difficult if not next to impossible regarding plunging the water through the grounds.

Len

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

Bitcoin Merchant www.CoffeeRoastersClub.com     www.javaPRO-CRC.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
PTMcHsu

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Baby/Breville Cafe...
Grinder: Gaggia MDF/Baratza...
Posted Fri Oct 23, 2009, 5:50pm

CoffeeRoastersClub Said:

Personally I think you would just be replicating Aeropresses already built in "portafilter" by attaching a real portafilter to it.  Additionally if you tamped the grounds as you would with a real espresso machine, you would likely find it extremely difficult if not next to impossible regarding plunging the water through the grounds.

Len

Posted September 1, 2008 link

My 2-cents:

Normally, when I make my aeropress coffee, I triple up the filter paper, tamp down two scoop of espresso grind, pull the hot water and then immediately press the heck out of it.  It' bit of workout but it makes pretty good coffee.  But it's no espresso.  With paper filter and plunger with no mechanical advantage, it's not possible to create espresso like crema.

I also had modified one to fit a double portafilter basket.  As it turns out, it barely fit my now deceased Krups Gusto portafilter basket.  Again, with straight plunger with no mechanical advantage, it's not possible (at least for me) to press through specially with espresso grind.  9+ psi of pressure as required for espresso is a lot of force; I should have known better.  I also was not sure whether aeropress can withstand the pressure once I thought about it...
yakster
yakster
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Factory / La Peppina...
Grinder: Vario / Kyocera
Vac Pot: Yama 8 + Pyrex Lox-in Rod
Drip: Brazen / Kalita / Chemex /...
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Fri Oct 23, 2009, 7:10pm

I think the presso used the mechanical advantage of the levers to multiply the force where the Aeropress is a straight plunger.

-Chris

-Chris

LMWDP # 272
wbaguhn
wbaguhn
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Ponte Vecchio Lusso
Grinder: Cunill Tranquilo, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Cory DR
Drip: Vietnamese gadget, AeroPress
Posted Sat Oct 24, 2009, 7:10pm

hunts Said:

The only major difference is the presso has a portafilter attached to it.

Posted August 30, 2008 link

... and the paper filters, a way of packing the grounds in without later disturbing them, a mechanical force multiplier to increase the exerted pressure, a spout to direct the shot into a small cup...

I think the paper filter is more of an issue (for crema on an AeroPress) than anything else - it forms a sort of pressurized basket, destroying any crema that might form.  Attaching a portafilter is an ok start, but then you lose a lot of the advantages of the AeroPress.

Pressure is the next part, but I just put about half my weight on the thing and make pressure (and false crema, similar to what you'd get out of a pressurized portafilter, falls out the bottom).

I tried adapting a moka pot filter to the AeroPress, but no luck with that so far - my fine metalworking skills just aren't quite there.  My limited results suggest that there should be some hope for success - real crema.

How you gonna pour the water in without disturbing the puck?  Need to figure out a few other details too - like not stirring.
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Mon Nov 2, 2009, 10:20am

Uh, am I missing something here? The Aeropress was never intended to make espresso. It makes a darn fine cup of press pot coffee, think French press but without the sludge but it was never intended to make espresso, why try to force it to do so?

Would you take a Vespa and try to use it to haul home 1/2 ton of construction materials? I guess I am saying, use the right tool for the job.

Hey, just my $0.02 so take it for what it is worth :P

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
wbaguhn
wbaguhn
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Ponte Vecchio Lusso
Grinder: Cunill Tranquilo, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Cory DR
Drip: Vietnamese gadget, AeroPress
Posted Thu Nov 5, 2009, 12:14pm

calblacksmith Said:

Would you take a Vespa and try to use it to haul home 1/2 ton of construction materials? I guess I am saying, use the right tool for the job.

Posted November 2, 2009 link

Agreed.  That's something you'd do with a Lambretta.  (Frame!)
dana_leighton
dana_leighton

Espresso: Isomac Relax; Caferina...
Grinder: Macap MXK; Baratza Vario-W;...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: Technivorm; CCD; Melitta
Roaster: Poppery I w/PID controller
Posted Thu Nov 5, 2009, 12:59pm

calblacksmith Said:

Uh, am I missing something here? The Aeropress was never intended to make espresso.

Posted November 2, 2009 link

You are apparently missing the ad copy. Aerobie says it is an espresso maker. From the big headline on the Aerobie site:

Aerobie® AeroPress™ Coffee & Espresso Maker

http://www.aerobie.com/Products/aeropress.htm

Dana Leighton - Espresso hack and CoffeeGeek moderator
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600+, CO/UFO combo
Posted Thu Nov 5, 2009, 1:08pm

dana_leighton Said:

You are apparently missing the ad copy. Aerobie says it is an espresso maker. From the big headline on the Aerobie site:

http://www.aerobie.com/Products/aeropress.htm

Posted November 5, 2009 link

Therein lies the truth. My Aero Press makes a "coffee concentrate", with which I then add 6-7oz of water for a fine "Americano style" beverage.
Excellent, but not a true Americano by definition, but a fine cup of coffee none the less.
But again, IMO NOT true espresso.
Sorry for the slight off toipic.
Referring back to the OP's subject, trying to mod an Aerobie Press just seems like much ado for an, at best barely discernible "improvement."

However,m several folks have done mods to their Presso's, or at least modifications to the brew technique to get their result closer still to a a professionally extracted espresso.

Also, to me, adding filters does a nothing but further eliminate the oils that make espresso well....espresso.

There have been descriptions here concerning a very fine screen metal mesh filter substitute for the Aerobie.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
charizzardd

Espresso: presso, aeropress(kinda...
Grinder: : (
Vac Pot: Want one
Drip: keurig, drip pot, french...
Roaster: : (
Posted Thu Jan 31, 2013, 9:13am

The science is there to do it if you get enough force behind it. Assuming you put a regular portafilter in, tamp correctly, are able to put water in without disturbing the packed shot....

You probably can't have an air gap between the piston and water since it will compress too easily so the plunger should be flush to the top if the water... The piston itself is around 2.25" diameter I believe. 9 bars of pressure is approximately 130 psi. To create 130 psi with a 2.25" diameter piston you need around (2.25/2=1.125; pi*r^2 = 3.976....; P=F/A so F=PA, F=130* 3.976...) 516 pounds of force... So unless your 100 pounds heavier the big show (don't make fun of my wrestling reference) then good luck creating that much force. The plastic itself can probably withstand 150psi inside but the piston may buckle pushing down that hard. I'm curious about this though...

Maybe a crank on a worm gear attached to a gear train and the piston you can probably hit a high enough mechanical advantage to have to only apply a few pounds of force, though I suppose you have the really turn that crank to make the piston move down fast enough to stay in that 27 second or so extraction window.

I think I just came up with a new project! Stay tuned. However, I guess I got away from the yes or no your interested in... just putting a portafilter on the aeropress is definitely possible with some simple machining, but espresso is not unless you can press really really really, 516 pounds hard on it.
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Aeropress -...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.361522912979)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+