Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
the drip dillema: Technivorm vs Bunn
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > the drip...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 7 of 11 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
AssabetJim

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Tue Jul 14, 2009, 11:21am
Subject: Re: the drip dillema: Technivorm vs Bunn

On the bandwagon now, soon.  I've had it with consumer grade made-in-china coffee makers that are injection molded with no repairable parts. Something fails - you throw it away. I was going to get a Bunn A10, but the 'look' I got from wife when proposing $250 for a coffee maker told the story.

Space limited me to 18inches or less in height. Either a Bunn or Curtis, used, would be an ok fit on the counter and in the pocket. I just got a Bunn VP17-1 for $58. No funnel, filters, decanters come with it. The pictures do not show the spray head. All these are expected consumables. Regardless, I am glad to be getting a coffee maker with parts I can replace.  I did get to wondering about the plastic funnel, I have never noticed that petro-chemical after taste before but will be questioning my palate once the Bunn is running.

I digress. I have a press I use infrequent, just so convenient. I've never had bad coffee from commercial drip, save for bad beans or bad water. Coffee urns do not put up a good cup at all, relegated to styrofoam cups at company picnic or AA meetings. (I'm not slamming either styrofoam or AA, just to illustrate) A 10 or 12 cup drip coffee maker is best to brew acceptable and enjoyable varieties of coffee. My opinion, of course. My simple palate likes a full body cup with flavor depth (that oil slick IS desired) of arabica coffee.

This is my initial posting here and I'm sure I've rambled off topic. Giddy in anticipation of a coffee maker.

This last point may be addressed elsewhere. Spray head. I see there are five-hole, six-hole, and twenty-one, forty-eight, ad nausem. How many is enough?!
 View Profile Link to this post
CraigA
CraigA
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: PID/PressureMod 2001...
Grinder: BUNN FPG-2 DBC, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos manual, Yama 5...
Drip: Behmor BraZen, BUNN VPR-APS,...
Roaster: Refurb Behmor 1600, BBQ...
Posted Tue Jul 14, 2009, 2:24pm

AssabetJim Said:

On the bandwagon now, soon.  I've had it with consumer grade made-in-china coffee makers that are injection molded with no repairable parts. Something fails - you throw it away. I was going to get a Bunn A10, but the 'look' I got from wife when proposing $250 for a coffee maker told the story.

Posted July 14, 2009 link

If this were the case here in Canada at the Greenbeanery (not exactly the same model VP-17-2 warmers) & as DIRT CHEAP as Rick (Clay34) above posted @ Costco for $199.99!! {:-O, I'd of got the BUNN VPR-APS in a heartbeat., but unfortunately it's not!  {:'-(   Click Here (www.costco.com)

CraigA: VPR_Black.jpg
(Click for larger image)

http://twitter.com/CoffeegeekCraig
http://www.facebook.com/craig.andrews.169

Excellent coffee doesn't just happen!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
Clay34

Espresso: Aeropress
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso
Vac Pot: N/A - 3 Bodum presses
Drip: Bunn VPR APS
Roaster: bread machine, Corretto...
Posted Tue Jul 14, 2009, 2:59pm

CraigA Said:

If this were the case here in Canada at the Greenbeanery (not exactly the same model VP-17-2 warmers) & as DIRT CHEAP as Rick (Clay34) above posted @ Costco for $199.99!! {:-O, I'd of got the BUNN VPR-APS in a heartbeat., but unfortunately it's not!  {:'-(   Click Here (www.costco.com)

Craig, I probably shouldn't do this but the Costco unit at $199 is a good price yes, but what I paid for mine was:  Dirt Cheap:

Total Amount:
-$87.52 USD
Fee amount:
$0.00 USD
Net amount:
-$87.52 USD
Date:
Jun. 5, 2009
Time:
20:10:07 PDT
Completed

---------------------------------------- ----------------------------------------

Item # Item Title Qty Price Subtotal
130310413152 BUNN VPR-APS Commercial Coffee Maker 1 $77.52 USD $77.52 USD

Shipping & Handling via UPS Ground
Note: UPS cannot ship to P.O. Boxes
(includes any seller handling fees): $10.00 USD
Shipping Insurance :  --

Total: $87.52 USD

The unit was used Once by a Wedding company and then they decided to get out of serving coffee for whatever reason.  The guy only had 4 individual feedback ratings so no one trusted it.  I wasn't even sure that it would actually come in the mail, but "It Did".  

No not everyone can find a grand deal on them, but I think that these units are a steal at $200 but at $87.52 delivered, it was robbery.

Now I just need to find a great deal on a lever espresso machine.
CraigA
CraigA

Posted Tue Jul 14, 2009, 3:09pm

So this was an Ebay purchase then?, but only used once. WoW, talk about a scorching RED HOT!!! deal! {;-D

I'd go for that, or a Buyers remorse return or whatnot.

CraigA: VPR_APS1.jpg
(Click for larger image)

View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
Clay34

Espresso: Aeropress
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso
Vac Pot: N/A - 3 Bodum presses
Drip: Bunn VPR APS
Roaster: bread machine, Corretto...
Posted Tue Jul 14, 2009, 3:24pm

I've had it about a month and life is good, it looked perfect and works perfectly.  Just got lucky.

To buy a new one, costco had the best price that I could find.  It is BIG though, almost wish that I had an A10, but wouldn't trade the air pot for the smaller unit.  I like Ebay, I'm an official cheap bastid.

Rick
farmroast
farmroast
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Strega,Cremina, MCAL...
Grinder: Majors, Dienes
Vac Pot: Hellem10
Drip: CCD, and more
Roaster: 1kg. DreamRoast
Posted Tue Jul 14, 2009, 5:50pm

There are some nice deals on used small commercial pourovers and plumbins. I got my Bloomfield at a flea market for 25.00. They are meant to be easily taken apart to clean unlike home units. I've seen many nice units on ebay go for less than a hundred bucks.

Ed Bourgeois... LMWDP #167
please visit my blog
http://coffee-roasting.blogspot.com/
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
CraigA
CraigA

Posted Tue Jul 14, 2009, 6:04pm

farmroast Said:

I got my Bloomfield at a flea market for 25.00.

Excellent!

They are meant to be easily taken apart to clean unlike home units.

Yep.

I've seen many nice units on ebay go for less than a hundred bucks.

Yes, eBay.com (USA)., eBay.ca (CAN) fuggettabout it!!

ChristineP

Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Breville BCG450XL
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster
Roaster: Gene Cafe
Posted Mon Jul 20, 2009, 12:52am

Justin - truth be told the only reason I ended up with the TV is because it was purchased for a christmas present for my sister who then said she wouldn't want a coffee maker that didn't have a grinder...already paid for and was on its way, so we ended up keeping the expensive machine (which increased in price since the whole Cook's Illustrated ratings).  It certainly isn't a cheap machine and I do love a pressed cup, but we consume so much that I couldn't keep up, even with 2 presses at a time!  So now that's just for my quiet alone coffee time.
AssabetJim

Posted Sat Jul 25, 2009, 5:19pm

I have the VP17-1 and am getting it close to being online. The funnel, filters, decanters arrived yesterday. I cleaned up the fill basin and external parts, I didn't crack open the tank. Filling the tank and turning it on - nothing smoked. Always a good sign for something that's been long idle. When I ordered the missing things, never even considered cleaners, damn. My local hardware store didn't carry citric acid or dezcal or kay-5. Wound up at walmart, I never find what I want there, but just what they have. This time it was Brew Rite.

I ran half a dozen clean water pots through then half a dozen with a dose of Brew Rite, letting it sit for 20 to 30 minutes. Once it was clean running, a half dozen more to flush. Tried a test run after using my red crap. A 3lb bucket of ground coffee I got for less than $5, in a red container. I'll skip the name, but it is better -- just slightly -- of being out of coffee. Now-I use a 1/4-cup scoop, three scoops for a 12-cup pot. Not real cups, the 5oz ones stenciled on coffee pots. I used four 1/4-cup scoops though, three looked pitiful and inadequate in the huge funnel. It made an ok pot of coffee, nothing, short of hallucinogens, will make the red crap a good cup of coffee.

In the meantime, I received an answer from Bunn about modernizing a VP17-1. Nothing has changed other than cosmetic features -- included were a couple links for Bunn service and maintenence. Also a deliming method. Since it was .pdf, re-keyed without permission

Deliming the tank of a pour over machine

The only thing we recommend using to clean the inside tank is Vinegar: Remove the spray head and soak in a cup of vinegar, then pour in a quart of white vinegar in the machine and let it sit over a weekend. Then push the deliming spring into the tube the spray head screwed onto. See-saw it back and forth, remove the spring, Then flush the Machine with several pots of water till the vinegar taste is gone, then replace the spray head, this can be done once or twice a year, please note "spray head may need cleaned as necessary" To clean the decanters we recommend using Cascade powder dish washer detergent. Usa a cup of cascade and fill the decanter with hot water. Let it sit 24 to 48 hours then clean with a brush.

Now I wait as the weekend passes.
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Mon Jul 27, 2009, 7:50am

CraigA Said:

I have that pot and LOVE IT! I did get a deal on Craigs list for mine. I bought the Bunn VPR-APS, a Curtis C250-AP , a Curtis GSG (in red) http://www.wilburcurtis.com/pdf/brochure/F-1875.pdf grocery store commercial grinder, 6 1.9 ltr air pots and a few odds and ends for $225 U.S. A coffee shop closed down and I was able to make the "lot" purchase, I just kept adding things together and then offered $225 for the lot and he took it! I love it when a plan comes together.

I have both the Curtis AP brewer and grinder at work where they crank out coffee each week day. The burrs on the grinder are in need of replacement because, though the burrs are properly adjusted as per the Curtis manual, I need to set the grinder to "espresso" to get a good drip grind. At the rate we are making coffee in the office though, it should be a decade or so before the current setting will no longer make a nice cup of drip coffee. When that day comes, the burrs will be expensive though as today, they are about $150 U.S. for replacements. That said however, "The Wilbur Curtis Company warrants its Grinding Burrs for Forty (40) months from date of purchase or 40,000 pounds of coffee, whichever comes first" on a new grinder.

For espresso at home, I have dedicated espresso grinders and the burrs are of no issue

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
showing page 7 of 11 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > the drip...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.348182201385)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+