Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
the drip dillema: Technivorm vs Bunn
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > the drip...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 8 of 11 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
ridetoslide

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Mon Aug 3, 2009, 12:56pm
Subject: Re: the drip dillema: Technivorm vs Bunn

So, after much reading I was leaning towards a Capresso ST600 much like the original poster of this thread, for many of the same reasons. I looked high and low to find a machine that was around $50 to no avail. Are these machines replaced with something else now? I came across one site that had them for over $150 but thats too much, I'd go the Bunn route for that much dough.  Anyone have any info? Thanks in advance!
 View Profile Link to this post
susanilz5

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Mon Aug 10, 2009, 5:58pm

I've owned 4  Bunn Home models over the years and really did like them.  My first choice for coffee is French Press, but that can be too difficult first thing in the morning.  My last Bunn died a couple of months ago and I decided it was time to do a little research on coffee makers since every time the Bunn would die I would just run out and buy another one immediately.   Keep in mind I did not own the commerical version, but the home models.

I decided to purchase a Technivorm with the metal carafe.  I'm very glad I did.  I love the taste of the coffee, it's hotter and fresher. It just tastes noticeably better.   It may be because the water sits in the Bunn tank for so long it gets a little stale.  If I make one pot every morning that means the water in the holding tank  was smmering for 24 hours before the next pot was made.  Now, I never noticed this during my years of supporting the Bunn corporation , it's only now that I have the Technivorm that I see the difference .  I also LIKE the Technivorm thermal carafe.  I have no problems pouring coffee, in fact it's easier and less messy then any of the glass Bunn carafes supplied with the home models.  I also use a little less coffee with the Technivorm, probably because the drip is a little slower.  

Again, I'm comparing the home model of the Bunn. But the Technivorm wins hands down in the cup.
Clay34

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Aeropress
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso
Vac Pot: N/A - 3 Bodum presses
Drip: Bunn VPR APS
Roaster: bread machine, Corretto...
Posted Tue Aug 11, 2009, 7:04am

susanilz5 Said:

I'm very glad I did.  I love the taste of the coffee, it's hotter and fresher.

Posted August 10, 2009 link

Glad that you posted and that you like your TV.  Just a comment on the temp.  Bunns are designed to brew at the proper temp and so are the TV.  If the TV is noticeably hotter than the bunn something was wrong with your home unit Bunn.  200 degrees is 200 degrees.  It's like the question that asks what weights more a pound of feathers or a pound of lead?  They are both a pound and 200 can't be hotter than 200 degrees.  Again, glad that you are enjoying your coffee and you TV.

Just a thought, did you change out anything else when you did your research into coffee makers, like using a fresher roast etc?  Might be another reason for the taste difference.  My Bunn is the commercial unit and while I have 3 Bodum Presses, an Aeropress and a cheap espresso machine the commercial Bunn is my cup of choice.  Made here in the states and if something does break in the next 30 years or so of it's expected life span, I can find parts for it in most major cities.

Rick
Judge

Expertise: Pro Roaster

Espresso: Expobar Brewtus IV,...
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso, Compak K3...
Drip: Bunn VP-17, Breville...
Roaster: Gene Cafe
Posted Tue Aug 11, 2009, 7:33am

susanilz5 Said:

I've owned 4  Bunn Home models over the years and really did like them.  My first choice for coffee is French Press, but that can be too difficult first thing in the morning.  My last Bunn died a couple of months ago and I decided it was time to do a little research on coffee makers since every time the Bunn would die I would just run out and buy another one immediately.   Keep in mind I did not own the commerical version, but the home models.

I decided to purchase a Technivorm with the metal carafe.  I'm very glad I did.  I love the taste of the coffee, it's hotter and fresher. It just tastes noticeably better.   It may be because the water sits in the Bunn tank for so long it gets a little stale.  If I make one pot every morning that means the water in the holding tank  was smmering for 24 hours before the next pot was made.  Now, I never noticed this during my years of supporting the Bunn corporation , it's only now that I have the Technivorm that I see the difference .  I also LIKE the Technivorm thermal carafe.  I have no problems pouring coffee, in fact it's easier and less messy then any of the glass Bunn carafes supplied with the home models.  I also use a little less coffee with the Technivorm, probably because the drip is a little slower.  

Again, I'm comparing the home model of the Bunn. But the Technivorm wins hands down in the cup.

Interesting comment about stale water.  I understand water can go stagnant but stale? Stale water requires the water to be in a sealed container.  Then after opening bacteria grows faster in it (bottled over 2 years from what I understand). I don't want to get into this war again, but I have a commercial Bunn unit and sold my Technivorm, I have no idea about the home Bunn but they are clearly not made to the standards of the commercial unit. From what you have said.

Clay34 Said:

Glad that you posted and that you like your TV.  Just a comment on the temp.  Bunns are designed to brew at the proper temp and so are the TV.  If the TV is noticeably hotter than the bunn something was wrong with your home unit Bunn.  200 degrees is 200 degrees.  It's like the question that asks what weights more a pound of feathers or a pound of lead?  They are both a pound and 200 can't be hotter than 200 degrees.  Again, glad that you are enjoying your coffee and you TV.

Just a thought, did you change out anything else when you did your research into coffee makers, like using a fresher roast etc?  Might be another reason for the taste difference.  My Bunn is the commercial unit and while I have 3 Bodum Presses, an Aeropress and a cheap espresso machine the commercial Bunn is my cup of choice.  Made here in the states and if something does break in the next 30 years or so of it's expected life span, I can find parts for it in most major cities.

Rick

Posted August 11, 2009 link

That is 30 years as a commercial unit.  I imagine it will be a lot longer at home, and we can replace every part.
CraigA
CraigA
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: PID/PressureMod 2001...
Grinder: BUNN FPG-2 DBC, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos manual, Yama 5...
Drip: Behmor BraZen, BUNN VPR-APS,...
Roaster: Refurb Behmor 1600, BBQ...
Posted Tue Aug 11, 2009, 7:41am

susanilz5 Said:

It just tastes noticeably better. It may be because the water sits in the Bunn tank for so long it gets a little stale.

Start off first thing in the morning with a fresh cold pot of water then!

If I make one pot every morning that means the water in the holding tank  was smmering for 24 hours before the next pot was made.  Now, I never noticed .

Just unplug your home Bunn unit after brewing, it only takes 12 - 15 minutes to be ready to brew..

http://twitter.com/CoffeegeekCraig
http://www.facebook.com/craig.andrews.169

Excellent coffee doesn't just happen!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
Judge

Posted Tue Aug 11, 2009, 7:46am

CraigA Said:

Start off with a fresh cold pot of water then!

Just unplug your home Bunn unit after brewing, it only takes 12 - 15 minutes to be ready to brew..

Hi Craig, as I said water does not go stale in the open. It can go stagnant in the open. An I have my unit on a timer. That unit cost me 15 on sale and i can have it do multiple on and of'sf so in my case it is set to warm the water at 6am and 4pm and is only on a short time.
Clay34

Posted Tue Aug 11, 2009, 7:47am

Sorry for the little bit of thread drift but when Craig posted to start off with cold water, a light came on.  Just last week we were listening to one of those doctor shows and a question was asked about drinking water out of you tap.  The question was why not drink hot water out of the tap and the doctor replied that the reason that we drink cold water is that many older homes still have lead pipes and that the hot water contained more lead than the cold water.  I found that an interesting little tid bit on drinking cold water or starting off with cold water.  I know that many plastics have chemicals which are released when exposed to hot water.  Cold water is just a cleaner source.  Thought I would throw that out there and it made me smile about only adding cold water to the coffee maker.

Rick
Clay34

Posted Tue Aug 11, 2009, 7:49am

Judge Said:

pot of water then!

Hi Craig, as I said water does not go stale in the open. It can go stagnant in the open. An I have my unit on a timer. That unit cost me 15 on sale and i can have it do multiple on and of'sf so in my case it is set to warm the water at 6am and 4pm and is only on a short time.

Cheap timer on my end too.  No need to have it going 24 hrs a day.  There is no cafe in my kitchen and it doesn't take long to warm up if I have unexpected company.
CraigA
CraigA
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: PID/PressureMod 2001...
Grinder: BUNN FPG-2 DBC, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos manual, Yama 5...
Drip: Behmor BraZen, BUNN VPR-APS,...
Roaster: Refurb Behmor 1600, BBQ...
Posted Tue Aug 11, 2009, 8:06am

Judge Said

?? Hi John, I was addressing susanilz5 (I quoted her in my post). Yeah, I know that.. Seeing as the water is sterilized & sealed in the boiler, it's not gonna go stale or stagnant in any reasonable length of time.

http://twitter.com/CoffeegeekCraig
http://www.facebook.com/craig.andrews.169

Excellent coffee doesn't just happen!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
Judge

Posted Tue Aug 11, 2009, 8:18am

CraigA Said:

?? Hi John, I was addressing susanilz5 (I quoted her in my post). Yeah, I know that.. Seeing as the water is sterilized & sealed in the boiler, it's not gonna go stale or stagnant in any reasonable length of time.

Yes I understand that, what really surprises me is that susanilz5 went through 4 noncommercial Bunn units, they must be well under the standards of the commercial units. But I guess you pay x amount for the Bunn home unit double that for the TV and more again for the Bunn commercial.
showing page 8 of 11 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > the drip...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.369359016418)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+