Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Aerobie Aeropress vs. French press
Guatemala Classic Bourbon
Temblor - exceptionally smooth, rich coffee with notes of spice, cinnamon, and chocolate. Only at
www.thelostgringo.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Aerobie...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
foges

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Sun Jul 5, 2009, 4:53am
Subject: Aerobie Aeropress vs. French press

Hey guys I'm new here, anyway, Im a student and just moved away from home (where we have a Miele coffee machine, one that grinds the beans and makes great coffee with foam/cream on top). Now I need an alternative and one that isn't too expensive or complicated to use. So I've been looking at getting a french press or an aeropress, I'm just looking for oppinions on what alternative will get me coffee closest to the taste that Im used to.

Thanks
 View Profile Link to this post
wbaguhn
wbaguhn

Espresso: Ponte Vecchio Lusso
Grinder: Cunill Tranquilo, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Cory DR
Drip: Vietnamese gadget, AeroPress
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Sun Jul 5, 2009, 5:31pm
Subject: Re: Aerobie Aeropress vs. French press

What size coffee are you looking for?  Something in the 25-50mL range?  Something in the 100-200mL range?

How important is the foam?

I'm an aeropress fan personally, because I like the smoothness (which I've always found french presses to lack).  Straight out of the aeropress comes a nice (to my taste) beverage, suitable for small cups, or can be stretched with hot water for larger coffees.

However, if you really want the foam, something like a Brikka may be what you're really after.
SlowRain
SlowRain
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Pavoni PRH
Grinder: Sözen Turkish & Porlex...
Vac Pot: *$-Bodum French press
Drip: AeroPress
Posted Sun Jul 5, 2009, 8:55pm

I have both a French press and an AeroPress.  I love them both.  I like the taste of the coffee from a French press better, but the AeroPress is noticeably more versatile.  If I'm stuck on a desert island, I'd go with the AeroPress.  If you've only ever had paper-filtered coffee and you like the taste, then go with the AeroPress.  The French press lets a certain amount of ground coffee into the cup that some people don't like to see (I don't mind seeing it, just don't drink the last swallow).

If you're still undecided: get the AeroPress now and think about a French press for a later date.

Here's a link you may be interested in for brewing with the AeroPress in different ways than the manufacturer's suggestion (start reading at the bottom and work your way up): http://timwendelboe.no/category/aeropress/

Also, don't forget to buy freshly-roasted, quality coffee beans, and grind them just before brewing.
eweiss

Grinder: Starbucks Barista Burr
Posted Mon Jul 6, 2009, 5:21am

foges Said:

Hey guys I'm new here, anyway, Im a student and just moved away from home (where we have a Miele coffee machine, one that grinds the beans and makes great coffee with foam/cream on top). Now I need an alternative and one that isn't too expensive or complicated to use. So I've been looking at getting a french press or an aeropress, I'm just looking for oppinions on what alternative will get me coffee closest to the taste that Im used to.

Thanks

Posted July 5, 2009 link

Considering you can buy either of them for less than $30, why not buy them both and see which you prefer? Either way you'll need a kettle for boiling the water (I recommend Wal-Mart's GE brand - $30, 2-year warranty, cool on the bottom, as it heats via the connector to the base) and a good burr grinder (note: people say that you can get by with a blade grinder for the AeroPress, so if you don't already have a good burr grinder, you'll save yourself about $100 by going with the AeroPress and a blade grinder - but a burr grinder ensures consistency from cup to cup). You may find that some days you want French Press and other days you want AeroPress.
foges

Posted Mon Jul 6, 2009, 7:47am

@wbaguhn: Im looking for something in the 100-200ml range (ie. not going to be drinking a straight espresso), I don't mind making an espresso sized cup and adding water tough.

Foam isn't that imporant, its a nice addition though. ooh, that Brikka thing looks nice though. I thought the general consesus was that Percolators don't make that good coffee though..?

@SlowRain: "If you've only ever had paper-filtered coffee"... actually I rarely drink paper filtered coffee. I really dont mind a few grinds at the bottom. Interesting link though

@eweiss: I live in switzerland so getting hold of an aeropress isn't actually that easy. I'd probably end up spending 70$ or so getting one :s Ill check out grinders online.

Right now Im leaning towards getting a french press (or that Brikka thing) just because they are easier to get a hold of than the aeropress
wbaguhn
wbaguhn

Espresso: Ponte Vecchio Lusso
Grinder: Cunill Tranquilo, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Cory DR
Drip: Vietnamese gadget, AeroPress
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Mon Jul 6, 2009, 8:42am

foges Said:

I thought the general consesus was that Percolators don't make that good coffee though..?

Posted July 6, 2009 link

It all depends on your definitions of "good coffee" and "percolator".

Most people don't consider a moka pot to be a percolator, and quite a few people like the coffee that comes out of a moka pot.  (What most people call percolators boil the coffee and recirculate the liquid over the grounds repeatedly; moka pots heat the water and pass it through the coffee grounds once.)

And of course, you can always use a cup and two spoons to make coffee (at least until you've decided on what to purchase, or make coffee for guests) - Guide to Cupping.

If you want an AeroPress, I think that the trick may be to travel someplace for a weekend (there must be a party that's only a few hours away by train that happens near an AeroPress seller), and bring one back with you.  Be prepared to repeat this process as your friends all decide they want one, too.

What are you doing about a grinder?
SlowRain
SlowRain

Espresso: La Pavoni PRH
Grinder: Sözen Turkish & Porlex...
Vac Pot: *$-Bodum French press
Drip: AeroPress
Posted Sun Jul 12, 2009, 12:07am

Foges, check your email.
scubadoo97
scubadoo97

Espresso: Solis SL70
Grinder: Mazzer Mini & Solis Maestro...
Vac Pot: got one of those too
Drip: Aeropress, Clarity, FP,...
Roaster: SC/TO
Posted Sat Aug 29, 2009, 5:48pm

I recently stared roasting lighter to City and FC without entering 2nd crack.  Previously I was bringing the roast just to the noticeable snaps of 2nd.  I have since switched back to a French Press after using the Aeropress for the last couple of years for my morning brew.  I hadn't used my FP in a few years and it's a real treat, especially with these lighter roasts.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Aerobie...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.278641939163)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+