Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
the drip dillema: Technivorm vs Bunn
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > the drip...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 10 of 11 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
Judge

Expertise: Pro Roaster

Espresso: Expobar Brewtus IV,...
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso, Compak K3...
Drip: Bunn VP-17, Breville...
Roaster: Gene Cafe
Posted Wed Aug 12, 2009, 6:10am
Subject: Re: the drip dillema: Technivorm vs Bunn

susanilz5 Said:

your brew at 3 minutes.

Craig, I know what you meant, but one of the benefits of the Bunn for me was coffee in 4 minutes.  If I unplugged the unit I would have to wait for the unit to heat back up and then wait the 4 minutes to brew. Making it about 15 minutes for a pot.  Deal breaker for me.

Posted August 11, 2009 link

I am glad you are enjoying your TV.  Where does it take 15 mins to brew with a Bunn?  As Clay34 and I both said we have ours on timers. Mine is on multi timer.  I have it set to go on in the morning for 30 miins and 60mins in the evening.

susanilz5 Said:

Quick and simple morning coffee is a priority.  I was nervous about buying the TV because it took 6 minutes to brew!  Didn't think I could handle 2 more minutes!

Said I would not do this again but, I guess I lied. ;-)

I am surprised you find the TV quick and simple. I found it cheap and fiddly. The lid was sloppy and I had to stand their and stir the grinds or close the valve on the basket to wet all the grinds. The wife even refused to use it.  Even the base for the thermos would not stay put. The coffee did taste great on that I agree. An the TV does look good

susanilz5 Said:

I just think the home version of the Bunn is not as well made  as the commericial version.

On this we agree.

susanilz5 Said:

Don't misunderstand my post, if I did not try the TV, I would buy another Bunn in a heartbeat.

After having both a TV and the commercial Bunn, and a friend having the noncommercial Bunn. I am glad you are happy with the TV. But feel that if you had tried the commercial Bunn you would of came to the same results I did. My commercial Bunn also uses a thermos. No heating pad.

The biggest drawbacks on the commercial Bunn is the size.  An the price.  Price is negated by longevity.  This will last a life time, an more likely than not go to one of your kids when your time is up. As for size.  It is a monster and will not fit in with most kitchen decor. And if you do not have the counter space, it is a no go.

Also on a side note, I actually grind my coffee a little more than normal to slow the brew a little.
 View Profile Link to this post
songX

Posted Sun Aug 16, 2009, 8:00pm

Judge,

Thanks for all of the info.  I am new to posting but have been following CG for a long time.

I am trying to decide on the Bunn or TV.  The Bunn commercial units look great but I think my wife would have me making coffee in the garage.  These things are huge.  Do you notice any difference in the cup between the commercial and the home units.  From what I see it's just a matter of build quality and in turn how long they will last.  I like the idea of buying something built in North America versus the TV but am a little concerned with the Bunn heating water 24/7 versus heating on demand like the TV.  Seems like a waste, I'm not in that much of a hurray that an extra couple of minutes makes a big difference.  I just like the convenience of drip in the morning.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.
Judge

Expertise: Pro Roaster

Espresso: Expobar Brewtus IV,...
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso, Compak K3...
Drip: Bunn VP-17, Breville...
Roaster: Gene Cafe
Posted Sun Aug 16, 2009, 8:48pm

songX Said:

Judge,

Thanks for all of the info.  I am new to posting but have been following CG for a long time.

I am trying to decide on the Bunn or TV.  The Bunn commercial units look great but I think my wife would have me making coffee in the garage.  These things are huge.  Do you notice any difference in the cup between the commercial and the home units.  From what I see it's just a matter of build quality and in turn how long they will last.  I like the idea of buying something built in North America versus the TV but am a little concerned with the Bunn heating water 24/7 versus heating on demand like the TV.  Seems like a waste, I'm not in that much of a hurray that an extra couple of minutes makes a big difference.  I just like the convenience of drip in the morning.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Posted August 16, 2009 link

Welcome aboard.  The very first thing I must say is all of us being coffee geeks we tend to be very opinionated and passionate about our equipment (as I am sure you have noticed). If your wife will have you in the garage making coffee with the commercial Bunn guess that is out. You might want to take her to a store and see one on display. An premeasure your counter space for length width and height so you will both see how it fits (that is if she does not find it way over priced and to obnoxious). When you actually measure the foot print of my model it is not actually that big.

As for taste of coffee, I find the flavor from both types of Bunn's and the TV very good and very close, they all need different methods of use to get the best in that department.

Again I use a multiple timer so I can set it for anytime I want, it is set to go on/off twice in the week and 3 times on the weekend.  That 24/7 is a non issue.

If you search the TV on these forums you will notice people are often saying about stirring the grinds and about the change from the single hole spray head to the 9 hole for better soaking, I had the 9 hole and it never soaked all the grinds unless I played with it.  Many here say they stir the grinds but they love to play with it. I do not have the time in the morning to do that.

May I suggest another coffee maker?  I have never tried one but from what I understand it hits the 200 degree water has a nifty brew through carafe. It is the Newco ocs- models, do a search on here about them.

Good luck, and remember drip coffee is about speed and simplicity. Or it is for me anyway.  I have all my other ways of drinking coffee when I want to get complicated.
Clay34

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Aeropress
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso
Vac Pot: N/A - 3 Bodum presses
Drip: Bunn VPR APS
Roaster: bread machine, Corretto...
Posted Mon Aug 17, 2009, 6:46am

While I love my VPR APS, I can see where they are large and not for everyone.  If you want a commercial build quality in a smaller foot print try this A10.  I'm posting this link because the price seems OK but I have never bought anything from this company and know nothing about them.  It's just a link to the specs on the A10.

After it is brewed you can still pour the coffee into a vac pot or thermos.  You can buy a pump vac pot at Sams Club for $20.  Made in America, built like a tank and a smaller foot print.

Note, I also use a timer and that is the way to go with these units.  My wife gets up at 4 am, pours water in the top after grinding coffee and three minutes later hot coffee - life is good.
songX

Posted Mon Aug 17, 2009, 5:52pm

Judge Said:

May I suggest another coffee maker?  I have never tried one but from what I understand it hits the 200 degree water has a nifty brew through carafe. It is the Newco ocs- models, do a search on here about them.

Good luck, and remember drip coffee is about speed and simplicity. Or it is for me anyway.  I have all my other ways of drinking coffee when I want to get complicated.

Posted August 16, 2009 link

I looked into the Newco OCS line and it seems that availability seems to be an issue at time which make me wonder about support and parts availability.  Their commercial brewers appear similar to Bunn.

I am looking at some different Bunn models and getting some pricing locally.
coffee_junkie_29

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Tue Feb 22, 2011, 8:32am

I've been debating back and forth whether to buy a commercial Bunn VPR-TC or a Technivorm KBT741. I can get the Bunn for $200-$250, or spend $300 for the TV.  I just really can't seem to wrap my head around spending $300 for the TV with the known issues: (no spout on thermal carafe, inability to put the carafe underneath the maker with the cap on, lack of a brew through lid [though I think they fixed that issue], insufficient shower head, flimsy plastic parts, etc.) I know you could modify the shower head, and probably buy a different thermal carafe, but IMO, if you spend $300 for a coffee maker, you shouldn't have to buy ANYTHING else besides filters and coffee! A commercial bunn seems like a better deal to me, as they are known for their dependability, and their ability to make a good cup of coffee. The thing I don't like about the bunn is that it is always on to ensure that the water in the reservoir stays hot. I guess a workaround for that would be to plug it into a timer to turn it off after you brew, and then to kick back on the following morning (maybe 20 minutes before you wake up). The Bunn also has a very good shower head, and a thermostat to adjust the brewing temp! One thing that keeps bringing me back to the TV is the way it looks. I have always thought Bunn coffee makers were ugly (all of them) lol. At the end of the day, I really just want a great tasting cup of coffee like I get from a coffee shop.
dtlord
dtlord
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Bezzera BZ07sde
Grinder: Super Jolly, Virtuoso
Vac Pot: Silex Victory, Cory, Sunbeam...
Drip: pour over w/ mesh or paper
Roaster: A nice guy named Roy
Posted Tue Feb 22, 2011, 7:01pm

Now this is just my opinion...

If I was choosing between a commercial heavy duty machine that works well and will last a LONG time and a consumer machine that works well but has known issues and longevity that is questionable......

Easy answer... I would choose the ugly duckling that works.

Actually I would buy a Bunn consumer over a Technivorm. I have read way to many things that turn me off to the machines when there are alternatives.

.....No matter where you go, there you are...
CraigA
CraigA
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: PID/PressureMod 2001...
Grinder: BUNN FPG-2 DBC, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos manual, Yama 5...
Drip: Behmor BraZen, BUNN VPR-APS,...
Roaster: Refurb Behmor 1600, BBQ...
Posted Tue Feb 22, 2011, 7:18pm

I 2nd everything you've said 200%, wait!., NO a thousand fold David!

I have four Bunn commercial machines, 3 BUNN VPR, & 1 BUNN Pour-O-Matic. Chuck, (& Welcome to the Coffeegeek forums! {;-) ) all of my machines I bought from eBay., $51.00, $57.00, $59.00, $69.00 etc. All of my machines work perfectly & look like new. I've seen several go on eBay recently in my price range, & for that kind of money & to have a workhorse of a Bunn like these (they're Sherman TANKS), in a factory lunchroom, office, camp, home, etc., it's a no brainer.

http://twitter.com/CoffeegeekCraig
http://www.facebook.com/craig.andrews.169

Excellent coffee doesn't just happen!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
justin57

Espresso: Expobar Pulser
Grinder: Mazzer Mini P
Vac Pot: Hellem, Sunbeam
Drip: Cuisinart BrewCentral...
Posted Fri Aug 9, 2013, 8:24am

Just as a bit of long term followup, I still have the Capressso ST600 and am pretty happy with it. Gets used about 4-5 times weekly and has held up for quite a few years now. I don't doubt that at some point I will expand and get something else too, but if you are looking for a decent machine that can make a hot cup with a thermal carafe, this one is quite durable.

Justin
DigMe

Espresso: Expobar Office Pulser,...
Grinder: Super Jolly, Mazzer Mini,...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos
Drip: Capresso ST600, Presto...
Roaster: Behmor, SC/CO, Poppery I,...
Posted Sat Aug 17, 2013, 9:15am

My ST600 is also still going strong though the one the my parents have seems to have developed a small leak somewhere.   Is this model still produced?   I was thinking it wasn't but it may be.  

It's funny looking back at this thread with some people decrying drip coffee as some kind of inferior brew to espresso and now 4 years later pourover is all the rage and guys like George Howell (considered somewhat of "guru" by many) are kind of at the forefront talking about pourover as the purest form of coffee.  Then we have the SCAA's Brewer's Cup competition getting so much attention alongside the USBC.  I know drip is different than pourover but many drip machines come pretty close.  I love espresso equally well but I've never considered well-done drip to be an inferior drink.  

brad

ch-ch-ch-ch-ch
showing page 10 of 11 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > the drip...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.352107048035)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+