Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
the drip dillema: Technivorm vs Bunn
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > the drip...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 11 last page next page
Author Messages
justin57

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Expobar Pulser
Grinder: Mazzer Mini P
Vac Pot: Hellem, Sunbeam
Drip: Cuisinart BrewCentral...
Posted Thu Jun 11, 2009, 8:11pm
Subject: the drip dillema: Technivorm vs Bunn

So, we all know that drip coffee sucks; comparatively, that is, to my espresso machine, vac pots, and french press.

But when I'm feeling rushed or just lazy, it's great to have a good drip machine to make a decent cup. I have a cuisinart machine now that really doesn't cut it. I've been up earlier lately and just don't have time to properly make a good espresso or anything else. I need good coffee, quickly.

I've done some research, scoured our forums, and it seems like the best options are Technivorm, Bunn, and the Newco.

I've ruled out the newco for the superficial reason that it is ugly and I don't want to see it on my counter.

This leaves me with the Bunn models vs the Technivorm Mochamaster CD thermal.

The TV has a whopping 1475 watts. Brews 42 oz. Some reviews of clunky operation, cheap carafe that doesn't maintain warm coffee are the cons that I can see. SCAA certified. Priced at 245.

Bunn: I've done some looking and seen these models:

BTX: Home brewer model with thermal carafe. Brews 50 oz. 900 total watts. Lots of plastic on top. $122

A-10: Commercial machine. But no thermal carafe. Brews 50 oz. 1140 watts. Solid construction. $219.

CWTF-TC: Commercial. Kind of a beast. Brews 12 cups. 1370 watts. Thermal carafe. $585 PLUS CARAFE!! (yikes)

So, based on price, I've ruled out the CWTF.

My biggest question now is what do I NEED to get an excellent cup?
This is subdivided down into...

The TV has the highest wattage. Does this mean it's the clear winner, even with its cumbersome operation?

If there is only a difference of 240 watts between the thermal home bunn and the A-10 how big of a difference is that in quality? What are the other benefits that would justify the A-10 without a thermal carafe over the BTX given the price difference? Is 800 watts enough to make a cup consistently at 200 degrees? Is 1140 in the A-10 enough, given that the TV has much more than that?

Thanks for all of your thoughts.

Of course, if there is another brewer that I have not yet found that should be in this discussion let me know!

Justin
 View Profile Link to this post
DigMe

Espresso: Expobar Office Pulser,...
Grinder: Super Jolly, Mazzer Mini,...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos
Drip: Capresso ST600, Presto...
Roaster: Behmor, SC/CO, Poppery I,...
Posted Thu Jun 11, 2009, 9:03pm
Subject: Re: the drip dillema: Technivorm vs Bunn

I can't comment on any of the models mentioned but I have a Capresso ST600 that brews great coffee at the proper temperature and looks fantastic.

I don't think that drip coffee sucks even comparatively. I do prefer espresso but I thoroughly enjoy good drip coffee.

brad

ch-ch-ch-ch-ch
NoahB

Espresso: Caravel
Grinder: Asst. hand grinders
Vac Pot: Yamas
Drip: Technivorm KBTS
Roaster: Modded air popper
Posted Thu Jun 11, 2009, 9:39pm

Given that your general observation regarding the quality of drip coffee is quite accurate, it seems that the Bunn BTX is your best bet. Watts are irrelevant for a drip machine when each machine is known to actually brew at the right temperature, which each of these machines do, unless you are looking for the burner to be hotter :) You will probably need to get the flow restrictor as the BUNN brews a bit fast, but for half of the price of the other models, why would you buy anything else?

I am sure that there are lots of other brewers that people will swear by, but in terms of drip brewers that have solid reputations and consistently market brewers whose water reaches the proper temperature, you have narrowed it down rather appropriately.

The only question is whether or not you want to pay over 200 bucks for a machine that will make coffee that, at its best, is equal to what you get with a 5 dollar pour over.

BTW, if you are using coffee that is really freshly roasted (like within the last week or so) then be aware that you will never be able to brew 50 ounces - even with the restrictor head, the bloom on fresh grounds will cause them to spill over the paper filters. (This is a problem regardless of how much you decide to brew - just a weakness of these brewers)

Good luck,
Noah
clivecoffee

Expertise: Professional

Posted Thu Jun 11, 2009, 10:16pm

Hi Justin,
I'm a newbie as far as posting on CG, but I thought I'd jump in on this topic to give you the reasons why I chose the Technivorm as my favorite drip machine.
On the Newco - I completely agree with you. Too much plastic, made in China.

The Bunn machines were another option I looked at (esp the A-10). When comparing to the Technivorm, I think the most important issues are:
  1. Heating element. TV has copper, Bunn has aluminum. Copper conducts heat a lot better. When you turn on the Technivorm, the water starts bubbling up through that clear tube within 20 seconds. The entire brew cycle is over within 6 minutes.

2. Build quality. I hate buying stuff every two years, and I especially hate plasticky stuff in my kitchen. The TV is made of machine aluminum and polished stainless steel, with a few plastic parts. The Bunn stuff seemed non-fussy and certainly not "cheap" but not quite as solid as the TV.

3. Water temp control. Everything I've read on the Bunn does not indicate a design that keeps the water within 195 to 205 degrees F during the brew cycle. The Technivorm has been designed for a short cycle with the water never getting too hot, especially towards the end.

4. Clunky operation. The most frequent complaint I hear on the Technivorm are regarding the loose plastic parts (filter basket, basket holder, lid for the carafe) and the carafe that seems lackluster. The loose parts are designed to be easily removed so they can be washed or put in the dishwasher. I think the quality could be a little higher on these parts, but the ease of disassembling the parts that touch the coffee oils make it okay in my opinion. On the carafe, I don't think it's as good as some other products (like the Nissan Thermos vacuum jugs), but I did find out last week that Technivorm discovered an entire batch of carafes that had a broken vacuum seal. If you can feel heat on the outside of the carafe, the seal is broken and you qualify for a warranty replacement. The carafe should keep the coffee hot for at least two hours.
    I haven't used the A-10 much so I'm won't comment on operation.

I don't think the Technivorm is a perfect brewer by any means. I use it every day and love it, but there are some definite flaws. The plastic plate under the carafe is stupid and flimsy. If you put the lid on the KBT-741 carafe , it won't fit back under the filter basket (this is not a problem on the CDT). The pour spout on the carafe is really wide and is super sloppy unless you close the lid all the way then loosen it a quarter turn.

If you haven't seen it, check out the Cook's Illustrated video review. Click Here (cooksillustrated.com)
I agree with their conclusion - if you don't want to spend $265 on the Technivorm, stick with a french press (or pour over, Yama, etc).

(full disclosure: I sell this product on my site so I'm definitely a little biased, but I hope this information is helpful in making your decision).
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Fri Jun 12, 2009, 7:17am

Bunn makes LOTS of brewers. I have a commercial VPR series Air Pot brewer that gets to see regular service. The "pot" version of that machine sells at Sams club for $218.73 and I can't say enough about the quality of the machine. The temp is settable (when you take the cover off) and it can produce a very good cup indeed.

Click Here (www.samsclub.com)

As to the heater construction metal (copper vs al) these are two different style machines and the Bunn keeps a tank of water at the proper temp the whole time it is turned on thus the need for a huge heater to bring the water to temp quickly is avoided.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
dvdchance

Drip: Technivorm MoccaMaster CD
Posted Fri Jun 12, 2009, 7:43am

calblacksmith Said:

As to the heater construction metal (copper vs al) these are two different style machines and the Bunn keeps a tank of water at the proper temp the whole time it is turned on thus the need for a huge heater to bring the water to temp quickly is avoided.

Posted June 12, 2009 link

I didn't know that about the Bunn. That seems like it would use a lot of electric at all times correct? Sometimes I'll go a few days without making a pot of drip, so that would be a waste.

I have a TV for over a year now with no real complaints, but I did replace the thermal carafe with a Nissan Thermos one that cost an additional $30 but works much better.
CraigA
CraigA

Espresso: PID/PressureMod 2001...
Grinder: BUNN FPG-2 DBC, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos manual, Yama 5...
Drip: Behmor BraZen, BUNN VPR-APS,...
Roaster: Refurb Behmor 1600, BBQ...
Posted Fri Jun 12, 2009, 8:00am

dvdchance Said:

I didn't know that about the Bunn. That seems like it would use a lot of electric at all times correct?

No, not unless you leave it 'on' all the time., which of course you don't have to..

http://twitter.com/CoffeegeekCraig
http://www.facebook.com/craig.andrews.169

Excellent coffee doesn't just happen!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
dvdchance

Drip: Technivorm MoccaMaster CD
Posted Fri Jun 12, 2009, 8:40am

CraigA Said:

No, not unless you leave it 'on' all the time., which of course you don't have to..

By leaving it on do you mean plugged in, or is there an on / off / standby button?
Maniac
Maniac

Espresso: alicia moka pot
Grinder: Hand Grinder/Sozen Turkish...
Drip: zojirushi zutto
Posted Fri Jun 12, 2009, 9:11am

I have the Newco OCS8. I bought it over a year ago for less than $100. I have to agree that it is ugly and was made in China. However, it makes one great cup of coffee and in my opinion is one of the better coffee makers on the market. I have used the Bunn at work and my brother has a Technivorm. They are both excellent coffee makers also. It seems to me that it would be hard to go wrong with any of the machines mentioned...
CraigA
CraigA

Espresso: PID/PressureMod 2001...
Grinder: BUNN FPG-2 DBC, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos manual, Yama 5...
Drip: Behmor BraZen, BUNN VPR-APS,...
Roaster: Refurb Behmor 1600, BBQ...
Posted Fri Jun 12, 2009, 9:12am

dvdchance Said:

By leaving it on do you mean plugged in, or is there an on / off / standby button?

I don't know about the VPR as I own the BUNN ThermoFresh BTX-B home model & it's 800 watts. There's only the on off button, but in the off position it's a vacation setting that isn't completely off., but supplies 34 watts to keep the tank in a "keep warm" state.

I just unplug my brewer when I'm finished. My brewer only takes 11 minutes to reach the ready state using cold fresh water, & in the manual it's stated as 15 minutes.

http://twitter.com/CoffeegeekCraig
http://www.facebook.com/craig.andrews.169

Excellent coffee doesn't just happen!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
showing page 1 of 11 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > the drip...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.355686903)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+