Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Virtuoso driving me nuts!
Italian Biscotti Cookies
Premium artisan quality Italian Biscotti cookies. Many flavors!
www.espressozone.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Virtuoso driving...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
Author Messages
espressobecky
espressobecky
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Izzo Alex Duetto
Grinder: Mazzer Major, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario TCA-3
Drip: French Press, Chemex
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Wed Jan 28, 2009, 7:56am
Subject: Virtuoso driving me nuts!

Ever since I got my Baratza Virtuoso, it has had trouble grinding.  We have it on about a 10 grind setting and have to keep minimal beans in the hopper.  Then almost the entire way through grinding, we have to shake the grinder to get it to grind.  Stop shaking and soon after it will stop grinding (the motor's still running).  This is not much affected by cleaning the grinder either, it was a problem when the grinder was brand new.  It's been about a year since I bought it, so it's too late to be bringing this up with the seller (I called once early on and was told that I needed to clean it).    Any other solutions?  

Becky

...and on that note, I need a coffee.
 View Profile Link to this post
Joel_B
Joel_B

Espresso: Astra Mega II
Grinder: Mazzer SJ, Virtuoso
Vac Pot: Yama 5 cup
Drip: nope, french press
Roaster: Behmor, WP, BBQ drum
Posted Wed Jan 28, 2009, 8:10am
Subject: Re: Virtuoso driving me nuts!

I have had similar issues with mine although I grind more towards 38 for press.  When the hopper is full, I don't have the problem; only towards the end of the batch as you've said.  I think it's an issue that the beans at the burrs need to be weighted down to the burrs.  I don't know if the beans are bouncing around at the burrs (doesn't sound like it) or if the beans clog at the bottom of the hopper.  The bottom of the hopper has the guard that has pretty small openings and I would assume that's where the issue is.  

For me personally I just shake it towards the end to get the beans grinding again.
bjmcgeever

Espresso: Bialetti Moka
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso
Vac Pot: Yama 8 cup stove-top
Drip: CCD
Posted Wed Jan 28, 2009, 8:23am

I've got one too. If I understand you correctly, I don't have exactly the same problem. The only time I've experienced it not grinding is when there are maybe 4 or 5 beans left, like Joel_B said. It is probably affecting you more than I because most of my grinding is for press (38) which leaves more space in between the burs. I've found a good solution is to use the button on the front and do a pulse type thing. Usually, the slower rotation of the burr catches the few stray beans and once it does, I just hold the button until it's all ground.

Hope this helps :)
BJ
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Joel_B
Joel_B

Posted Wed Jan 28, 2009, 8:46am

To add a little more,

espressobecky Said:

We have it on about a 10 grind setting...

Posted January 28, 2009 link

I realize every grinder is calibrated a little differently, but what are you using the "10" for?  Outside of a coarse espresso grind, it seems too fine.

bjmcgeever Said:

The only time I've experienced it not grinding is when there are maybe 4 or 5 beans left, like Joel_B said.

Posted January 28, 2009 link

In all fairness, I have had it happen with more than just a few beans, but it's pretty infrequent.  I'd also add that it doesn't sound like beans hopping around which is why I feel it may just be jamming at the bottom of the hopper.
espressobecky
espressobecky

Posted Wed Jan 28, 2009, 12:27pm

I use the 10 for flat-basket drip.  Is this too fine?  I don't usually drink drip - my hubby takes it in a thermos to work.  I guess it seems coarse enough to me because I'm used to espresso grinds.  What setting is best for drip?  I do adjust it quite a bit if I make press pot coffee.

Joel_B
Joel_B

Posted Wed Jan 28, 2009, 12:38pm

hard to say since they are all calibrated a little different, but it would definately be to fine on mine.  For cone drip I used around 18 and flat basket is supposed to be slightly coarser than that from what I understand.
bjmcgeever

Espresso: Bialetti Moka
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso
Vac Pot: Yama 8 cup stove-top
Drip: CCD
Posted Wed Jan 28, 2009, 12:55pm

When I use my basket drip I do about a 25, but I honestly haven't toyed with it that much because I only use drip for making large amounts of coffee. That setting seems adequate for me.
philosogeek
philosogeek
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Livia 90 Semi-Auto
Grinder: Mazzer SJ, Maestro
Vac Pot: Yama 8 and 3 cup
Drip: Pour over, Clever coffee...
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Wed Jan 28, 2009, 1:01pm

I noticed you have a behmor and I assume that you're grinding your own beans.  I can into a similar problem a few times (on a different grinder) when I was experimenting with light roasts...the grinder just couldn't handle the hard beans and the burrs would stop turning intermittently until I shook the problem bean loose.

I assume you aren't experimenting with light roasts, but could it be the case that there is an unusually light bean or two per batch of beans?  I know that when I finish a roast in my behmor there are sometimes oddly light beans.

Just one more thing to check,
-p
espressobecky
espressobecky

Posted Wed Jan 28, 2009, 9:20pm

The light beans ("quakers") are more frequent with lower grades of beans.  I do notice one every few batches I do, but usually just pick it out.  I am using my home-roasted beans, but they are medium-dark at least.  I tried pushing down on the beans the last time I ground (with the grind setting on 20), but that didn't seem to help much.  I guess I just have to stand by and shake, poke and push the beans the whole time it's grinding.  It would sure be nice to be able to start it grinding and walk away until it's done.  Drip coffee's not supposed to be as much effort as espresso :)

tjkoko

Espresso: Bialetti Moka Pot
Grinder: Baratza Preciso and Turkish...
Drip: Meiltta filter with cone
Roaster: Whirlypop Stovetop Unit,...
Posted Thu Jan 29, 2009, 4:21am

The difficulty it seems lies in bean feeding.  To coax the beans into the grinding mechanism, use a chopstick.
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Virtuoso driving...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Quick Mill Back in Stock
All Quick Mill Machine ready to ship. Free Ship. Silvano, Anita, Alexia, 2B, Andreja, QM67, Monza!
cupandbrew.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.309861183167)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+