Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Drip maker...making water hotter
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Drip...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
Corvairfan

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Tue Dec 9, 2008, 9:12am
Subject: Drip maker...making water hotter

I have a Braun from 1993. It was brewing too cool for me.

Last night I decided to tinker with it.  I noticed that if I brew just a pot of hot water through it, wait 1 minute then make a pot of coffee the water is much hotter.

In fact I made 20 ounces some of that Dunkin Donuts(see my other thread) and it came out really hot and did not have the sour taste that kept showing up in the Bunn that I bought to replace it.

Though I noticed that the grounds had stuck to the walls above the filter so I probably ground too fine. Used about 30 grams of coffee.

So is this a safe way of using this old coffee maker?

I still haven't been able to dial in a useable less than full pot in my new Bunn and that is disappointing. I bought the Bunn hoping for a hotter and better flavored cup of coffee and hasn't happened yet. 1 cup manual pourover is still more consistent.

I am wondering if so long as I spend the 2 minutes brewing say 2 cups of water in the Braun, then brew my 20-30 ounces of real coffee maybe I should try for that if it is a safe method.

Oh, I poured the hot water back into the unit and did a second pot on a lark and water dripping into the pot was 195-200 degrees and the full pot of water came out at 195. But that's not going to be too tasty I bet.

I will be giving the Bunn one last shot with some Peet's beans I will buy today. They were pretty fresh from the Peet's store last week. I know what those taste like at the shop and in a pour-over so I can see if I can finally dial in one of these machines for 1/2 pots of coffee.

Then pick one to use.
 View Profile Link to this post
bodum_fanatic
bodum_fanatic
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Won't become one of those...
Grinder: Braun KMM30, Krups Fast...
Vac Pot: Never had much luck there.
Drip: Melitta Deluxe 132 made in...
Roaster: West Bend Poppery II
Posted Tue Dec 9, 2008, 9:45am
Subject: Re: Drip maker...making water hotter

What I have always done is used the hottest water possible from the tap.  This prevents the water in the tank from cooling the heated water as it travels up the tube to the spout (most coffee makers, the water drains from the tank, runs through the heating element, then up through a tube running through the water tank).  Doing what you are doing now won't hurt your coffee maker, aside from causing it to wear out faster due to doubling up the brew cycles.
Corvairfan

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Tue Dec 9, 2008, 2:14pm

Hmm...looks like I am onto something. Though I wouldn't use hot water from my hot water tank. Probably nasty stuff in there. But good to know you have tried it when all was hot.
PJK
PJK
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Rancillo Silvia, Tonic...
Grinder: Modified Rocky, Elma side...
Vac Pot: Old Silex
Drip: Melitta BCM 4  +Some old...
Roaster: Hottop, Modified Z&D,...
Posted Wed Dec 10, 2008, 12:37am

I have done this very thing and found it to be effective.  This is not necessary with the Melitta BCM-4 however since the tube for the hot brew water does not pass thru the reservior.

If you do this at a friend or relatives place use extreme caution especially if they value a tidy kitchen more than the ultimate coffee experience.  The process will go faster and possibly overflow the brew basket.

How do you suppose I know this?

By the way I did clean the mess before it was discovered.

Phil

bodum_fanatic Said:

What I have always done is used the hottest water possible from the tap.  This prevents the water in the tank from cooling the heated water as it travels up the tube to the spout (most coffee makers, the water drains from the tank, runs through the heating element, then up through a tube running through the water tank).  Doing what you are doing now won't hurt your coffee maker, aside from causing it to wear out faster due to doubling up the brew cycles.

Posted December 9, 2008 link

Philip J. Keleshian
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
bodum_fanatic
bodum_fanatic

Posted Wed Dec 10, 2008, 7:30am

No matter the question; when it comes to any way to make something better, Phil's technique will always involve a Melitta BCM4 ;)
PJK
PJK

Espresso: Rancillo Silvia, Tonic...
Grinder: Modified Rocky, Elma side...
Vac Pot: Old Silex
Drip: Melitta BCM 4  +Some old...
Roaster: Hottop, Modified Z&D,...
Posted Wed Dec 10, 2008, 9:52am

I haven't yet figured out how to involve it in pulling espresso shots, but I do love that little thing.

Phil

bodum_fanatic Said:

No matter the question; when it comes to any way to make something better, Phil's technique will always involve a Melitta BCM4 ;)

Posted December 10, 2008 link

Philip J. Keleshian
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
bodum_fanatic
bodum_fanatic

Posted Thu Dec 11, 2008, 8:00pm

I happen to know that there will be a Melitta BCM4, that is still unused, brand new in its original factory packaging (black in color), coming up on ebay starting at 8pm CST on Dec. 12th.
DavidG
DavidG
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: cimbali M32 | pavoni pub1
Grinder: preciso | kyocera cm45 |...
Vac Pot: sunbeam c30c | yama +...
Drip: ccd | woodneck | chemex
Roaster: wbp1 | wepp | bm/hg
Posted Sun Jan 18, 2009, 6:29pm

Caution: Newbie comment ahead...

I have a dumb-dumb Sunbeam auto-drip that almost went into the trash.  But, on a lark, I decided to take boiling water from my teapot and pour it directly in to the reservoir with the basket loaded and brewer switched on.  Tons of commotion, as you would expect, BUT 195F to 204F coming out of the head!!  Eureka (and cheap)!  I am pleased with the result, and now am fiddling with the grind to get closer to a 3:30 to 4:00 water and grinds contact time.  Yesterday's run was as noted above, but after first H2O and bean contact, I killed the power for 25 sec. or so and then turned it back on.  Good coffee.

I have one of the little M BCM4s, too.  My hang-ups with it are two-fold:

1.  The resulting volume of liquid coming out seems to be 80-90% of the amount of H2O initially put in.  Is this just the amount absorbed by the grounds?

2.  When brewing using 20 oz of water (straight off the boil, as noted above) and 1.25 oz of ground bean 2-5 days from roasting, the bloom overwhelms the little guy and I have a big mess to clean up.  I suppose I could make less coffee, but 20 oz into my new thermos is how each work day starts....

Advice welcome.

DavidG
DigMe

Espresso: Expobar Office Pulser,...
Grinder: Super Jolly, Mazzer Mini,...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos
Drip: Capresso ST600, Presto...
Roaster: Behmor, SC/CO, Poppery I,...
Posted Tue Jan 20, 2009, 3:31pm

BEFORE YOU BREW WITH HOT TAP WATER YOU SHOULD READ THIS:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/29/health/29real.html

This is more of a science/research backed thing than the whole aluminum debate, which really has little to no solid science backing it up.  Hot tap water = more lead.  Just buy a coffee maker that heats up cold water to the appropriate temperature instead or use a pourover.

brad

ch-ch-ch-ch-ch
CraigA
CraigA

Espresso: PID/PressureMod 2001...
Grinder: BUNN FPG-2 DBC, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos manual, Yama 5...
Drip: Behmor BraZen, BUNN VPR-APS,...
Roaster: Refurb Behmor 1600, BBQ...
Posted Tue Jan 20, 2009, 5:50pm

DigMe Said:

This is more of a science/research backed thing than the whole aluminum debate, which really has little to no solid science backing it up.  Hot tap water = more lead.  Just buy a coffee brad

Posted January 20, 2009 link

Hi Brad, I believe David G's saying that he's using hot water from his 'teapot'., meaning tea kettle that's filled with cold tap water.., then brought to a boil..
Yes, hot tap water from the hot water tank/heater will pull/leach out more lead from the old lead based solder for plumbing (haven't read the article) & should never be done. {:-)

http://twitter.com/CoffeegeekCraig
http://www.facebook.com/craig.andrews.169

Excellent coffee doesn't just happen!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Drip...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.31897187233)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+