Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Dunkin Donuts at home...how to get it to taste like the shops?
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Dunkin Donuts at...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
dvdchance

Expertise: I love coffee

Drip: Technivorm MoccaMaster CD
Posted Thu Dec 25, 2008, 10:38am
Subject: Re: Dunkin Donuts at home...how to get it to taste like the shops?

Where I work there is a Dunkin Donuts shop in it. One thing I've noticed is a total lack of consistancy with how their coffee tastes. Sometimes it's ok and other times it's to the point of being undrinkably bitter.

I never understood how they got such a high reputation with this  lack of consistancy. And it's not just this one location but many I have tried it's always the same, you never know one cup to the next.
 View Profile Link to this post
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vintage La Pavoni Lever...
Grinder: Breville Smartgrind,...
Vac Pot: Vintage Silex, Nicro...
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: javaPRO-CRC AIR Fluid Bed...
Posted Thu Dec 25, 2008, 6:01pm

Jeff_K Said:

When you have it at the shops, do you drink it with cream or without?  I know they use a really heavy cream which gives the coffee a rich taste if you add it - if you use heavy cream/whipping cream with something that has a base of Brazilian beans, based on my experiences it can be similar to Dunkin Donuts coffee.

Posted December 2, 2008 link

I was told that they use a special powder + water mixture for what they call their heavy cream.  If that is truly the case, it may be why their taste is hard to replicate.

Len

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

www.CoffeeRoastersClub.com     www.javaPRO-CRC.com     www.KaffeeFrisch.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Jeff_K
Jeff_K

Espresso: LaCimbali Junior D/1,...
Grinder: LaCimbali Junior, Rio...
Drip: Presto Scandinavian, Bodum...
Roaster: Hottop KN8828, Kitchen...
Posted Thu Dec 25, 2008, 9:43pm

CoffeeRoastersClub Said:

I was told that they use a special powder + water mixture for what they call their heavy cream.  If that is truly the case, it may be why their taste is hard to replicate.

Posted December 25, 2008 link

That could be true.  Where I used to work, they would sometimes bring in those "to go" boxes (with the bag inside which holds the coffee) full of Dunkin Donuts coffee.  A few times, rather than supply a bunch of those little containers of half and half, they would give the remainder of their store jugs of heavy cream.  I can't remember exactly what the fat content was, but it was a jug-type container that resembled a full size gallon milk container with the handle only smaller.  That was also a few years ago and may not have been what they use in their store behind the counter, but I believe it was.  It's just an assumption I made off of that.
rudedog

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Isomac Tea, Gaggia, Spidem
Grinder: Rocky DL, Maximo
Vac Pot: not yet
Drip: Zoji, Presto Scandi
Roaster: SC/TO, I-Roast, popper
Posted Sun Dec 28, 2008, 1:04am

Cannot speak to the heavy cream scenario, except on the rare occasion when I get an ice coffee they use too much cream.

Been getting and drinking DD coffee for longer than you want to know. Only, I buy the whole bean bags at DD or over the counter from there bag or  1 pound or 5 pound bags via DD delivery. One thing I can say is that the bean roast is very consistent and never over roasted or under roasted.
Found the 1 pound bag to be the most consistent. On occasion the 5 pound bag or over the counter sometimes yielded a darker roasted coffee.

I use both a Presto Scandinavian and a ZOJIRUSHI EC-BD15 as my weapons of choice.
Both of these coffee makers brew at 200 deg F as tested by multiple temp devices many times.
The best water for me comes from a large Brita filter pitcher with a fresh filter.

I brew 6 to 8 cups of coffee which equates to 27-36 ounces (4.5 ounces per cup) which nets me 3 to 4 cups of coffee in my mug.

Usually use the Rocky grinder set to around 24. My coffee measuring device is a 4 ounce or 1/2 cup small container.
At the rate of 27-36 ounces of water my container is never full (4 ounces), I would say about 3-3.5 ounces for 27-36 of water. Any more than that will net me a too strong cup. Less will be a little weak and require a little sit time. Like my coffee to sit in the pot for around 5 minutes after its done brewing.

I have used the Melitta pour over method for a long time also. Found it to be a little less consistent than by machine. Usually would need to use too much coffee for a similar machine cup.

Hope this helps the original poster some. Do me a favor and try these ratios. I suspect that using double the water would not require double the coffee for the same taste. Have tried many coffees but somehow got hooked on DD. Thats why I get so mad when I spend big bucks and get burnt beans. When I can get the good stuff LOL for 6 bucks a pound. Admit I need a change.

Use lactose free milk myself, I have heavy whipping cream in the fridge but cant use it cause its for a peanut butter pie!

One more thing, please make sure your brewing and grinding devices are clean clean clean. Nothing is worse than coffee that has been ground in a rancid dirty grinder and dont forget to clean the underside of the shower where the water comes out before it hits the coffee.
faaparasite

Espresso: Bezzera BZ99
Grinder: Mazzer Super Jolly
Drip: Technivorm
Posted Sun Dec 28, 2008, 1:15pm

Duplicating the taste you get at the store will require several factors.

First the beans must be the same.  On the couple of occasions I have bought DD beans, they sell the same bags they use themselves within the store.  I don't know if they do this universally.

The brew temps must be pretty close.  I have tested both a commercial Bunn and a home Bunn and both were within 5 degrees of 200.  I can't say if they all come this close.

The grind must be pretty close.  The DD stores I have seen grind with commercial grinders directly into the filter right before brewing.  I suspect the grind size is pretty close to Folgers, but I have no idea what it is in actuality.

The brewing method must be the same.  If you're doing French press and they are doing drip with a paper filter, the results are going to be different regardless of everything else.  If it takes X minutes for their brew to complete, it should take pretty close to the same for yours.

Finally the dose must be close to the same.  I suspect DD uses the SCAA standard dose, but again I have no idea.

To a lesser extent things like water quality are going to matter, but as DD coffee tastes pretty much the same wherever you go, I don't believe this is a huge factor unless your water quality is way off.
faaparasite

Espresso: Bezzera BZ99
Grinder: Mazzer Super Jolly
Drip: Technivorm
Posted Sun Dec 28, 2008, 1:17pm

In my experience DD seems to be pretty consistent and it's never been bad, but I've only tried a few shops.

Duplicating the taste you get at the store will require several factors.

First the beans must be the same.  On the couple of occasions I have bought DD beans, they sell the same bags they use themselves within the store.  I don't know if they do this universally.

The brew temps must be pretty close.  I have tested both a commercial Bunn and a home Bunn and both were within 5 degrees of 200.  I can't say if they all come this close.

The grind must be pretty close.  The DD stores I have seen grind with commercial grinders directly into the filter right before brewing.  I suspect the grind size is pretty close to Folgers, but I have no idea what it is in actuality.

The brewing method must be the same.  If you're doing French press and they are doing drip with a paper filter, the results are going to be different regardless of everything else.  If it takes X minutes for their brew to complete, it should take pretty close to the same for yours.

Finally the dose must be close to the same.  I suspect DD uses the SCAA standard dose, but again I have no idea.

To a lesser extent things like water quality are going to matter, but as DD coffee tastes pretty much the same wherever you go, I don't believe this is a huge factor unless your water quality is way off.
MikeyBabs

Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Sat Sep 17, 2011, 9:38am

I've been trying to figure out how to duplicate a good cup of dunkin donuts coffee for a long time and I think I have almost perfected it.

Here's how:

Use an aeropress with a fine grind from a good burr grinder such as a bodum burr grinder etc. I do 2 scoops at a time in my aeropress... use 195 degree water (make sure you use a thermometer to get this)
once you brew your double shot, dilute it with 50-60% more water, and add heavy cream/sweetener (if you prefer that, or however you like to fix it up)

I think one of dunkins secrets is that they don't sell their freshest beans that they use to make the coffee they sell. You're forced to buy coffee from their 1lb bags that usually are months and month old... i called a few dunkins and got some info on their beans. Their distributor is DCP and they get 5lb boxes of beans that are very fresh, which of course they do not sell. Beans usually lose some of their taste properties after 10 days... so its definitely key to get the freshest beans you can when you make it this way. I have a friend who works at dunkin donuts and shes going to get me a bag from their shipment on monday, however I got a very very similar taste by grinding their whole beans that were a few months old...

I have found that the aeropress beats any drip coffee maker when it comes to extracting the full flavor out of a bean... but thats just my opinion... I have tried bunns, etc.
frankthecrank

Posted Sun Sep 18, 2011, 5:54am

They actually use a creamer call "light cream". It is available in supermarkets. Tim Horton's uses it as well. It is very popular and used in Ontario Canada--the birthplace of Timmy Ho's. It is much better than that disgusting stuff that goes by the moniker 'half and half'---yechhh! Go to the supermarket and look for it in the dairy section. The 'light' does not stand for a diet type of concoction. It has slightly less fat than heavy cream and more than milk. It gives your home brew a smooth delicious flavor just like the type at DD's or Timmy Ho's.
CraigA
CraigA

Espresso: PID/PressureMod 2001...
Grinder: BUNN FPG-2 DBC, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos manual, Yama 5...
Drip: Behmor BraZen, BUNN VPR-APS,...
Roaster: Refurb Behmor 1600, BBQ...
Posted Sun Sep 18, 2011, 6:35am

frankthecrank Said:

They actually use a creamer call "light cream". It is available in supermarkets. Tim Horton's uses it as well. It is very popular and used in Ontario Canada--the birthplace of Timmy Ho's. It is much better than that disgusting stuff that goes by the moniker 'half and half'---yechhh! Go to the supermarket and look for it in the dairy section. The 'light' does not stand for a diet type of concoction. It has slightly less fat than heavy cream and more than milk. It gives your home brew a smooth delicious flavor just like the type at DD's or Timmy Ho's.

Posted September 18, 2011 link

AFAIK, they use 18% cream., & that covers a multitude of sins. Country Style also uses 10% cream (half & half) & that's not 'light'.

http://twitter.com/CoffeegeekCraig
http://www.facebook.com/craig.andrews.169

Excellent coffee doesn't just happen!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
franky

Espresso: Expobar Pulser
Grinder: Mazzer/S Maestro+/Zass
Drip: Clarity
Posted Sun Sep 18, 2011, 11:43am

I always get my cream on the side there because trying to get them not to over do it is too difficult. They give out light cream instead of the standard half and half. I don't' think it is the issue. Based on what you have tried, I think the weakest link is the age of  the beans. Many years ago they used to weigh and sell the beans from their own supply. Now that they sell the prepacked and you are stuck with the older beans. Maybe you could find a place that will sell you their beans. I asked at a few places casually and they always say no. You would have to ask for the manager and beg. I would think you may have to ask a few different places.

Probably the best bet would be to figure out what you like about it and find an alternative from a roaster. Do they mostly use Colombian beans? Maybe try some Colombian blends. Others here might be able to come up with a profile.

Off topic, but I bought a 3 or 5 pound bag of Costco beans a month ago, Cost Rican. It looked to me based on their scale that it was a medium dark, and since it was Cpsta Rican I thought it couldn't be that bad. It was so dark and oily it jammed my grinder! I ended up throwing them away. I took a chance, but they really marked them wrong too. I would have brought them back, but I live too far away to make the trip worthwhile.
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Dunkin Donuts at...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.313453912735)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+