Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Dunkin Donuts at home...how to get it to taste like the shops?
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Dunkin Donuts at...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
Author Messages
Corvairfan

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Tue Dec 2, 2008, 2:31pm
Subject: Dunkin Donuts at home...how to get it to taste like the shops?

Ok, I live in New England and I like Dunkin Donuts on occassion.

With that said, I have a Breville burr grinder, Melitta pourover, a French Press and just bought a Bunn. I spent $13 on 8 ounces of coffee from a local roaster, and trying home roasting so trying to do it right.

But I have always wanted to get Dunkin Donuts at home to taste like the shops. Back in the early days I even got beans from the same bag the store used for their grinders. But I used a blade and a Braun...no good.

So today, armed with these 4 coffee devices in hand I want to find the freshest of the D+D stale beans(LOL) and see if I can get the shop flavor at home.

Any tips on grind size, ratio to 8 ounces of water, temperature and time?

No luck on the search engine here but I swear I read a post from someone that used to work there but couldn't find that post in the search.

Any tips?
 View Profile Link to this post
Jeff_K
Jeff_K
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: LaCimbali Junior D/1,...
Grinder: LaCimbali Junior, Rio...
Drip: Presto Scandinavian, Bodum...
Roaster: Hottop KN8828, Kitchen...
Posted Tue Dec 2, 2008, 4:55pm
Subject: Re: Dunkin Donuts at home...how to get it to taste like the shops?

When you have it at the shops, do you drink it with cream or without?  I know they use a really heavy cream which gives the coffee a rich taste if you add it - if you use heavy cream/whipping cream with something that has a base of Brazilian beans, based on my experiences it can be similar to Dunkin Donuts coffee.
Corvairfan

Posted Tue Dec 2, 2008, 7:56pm

Yes Jeff, cream and sugar. I seem to think they use 2 teaspoons...heck maybe 3...of sugar to the 14 ounce coffee then light cream.

I called D+D today to ask them how to interpret the date on their beans. I guess the date on the package is now about 10 months after bagging/roasting.

I took a peak at the chart the shops use. They say they brew at 195-200. 58 ounces in a Bunn 3.2 ounces of coffee.

I bought one of the 2ounce bricks probably vacuum packed back in September in my Bunn to 36 ounces of water this morning. Still pretty weak and no flavor but oddly enough better tasting than older attempts with their coffee in non-200 degree brewers.

Still will probably spring the $7 and try to find some fresher beans and see if a pourover will yield a better cup than the Bunn.  

Just wondering if anyone here tinkered with all the equations and got the right cup.
The_Shadow

Expertise: Pro Barista

Espresso: NS Aurelia 2 group, 1977...
Grinder: NS MDX, NS Grinta, KyM...
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: BUNN VPR/LPG Combo
Roaster: Leave That To The Pros
Posted Wed Dec 3, 2008, 11:37am

My mother-in-law wonders the same thing. I told her there are lots of reasons for the difference in taste. One thing is that a place like that has comercial brewers that function at the proper temp. which is something her $30 drip machine can't do. Another thing I think alot of people overlook is water quality. If you don't have balanced water it's not going to make great coffee. One more thing..... my mother-in-law will buy preground Dunkin Donuts in the supermarket and wonder why it just isn't the same as in the store. Duh..... Later!
Jeff_K
Jeff_K

Espresso: LaCimbali Junior D/1,...
Grinder: LaCimbali Junior, Rio...
Drip: Presto Scandinavian, Bodum...
Roaster: Hottop KN8828, Kitchen...
Posted Wed Dec 3, 2008, 12:24pm

I still think one of the keys to replicating the taste is the heavy cream, and a coffee with a base of Brazilian coffee.  If you ever try Dunkin Donuts coffee without any cream and sugar, it has a unique taste to it, but it's nothing spectacular and to me it's on the bitter side.  I used to get Dunkin Donuts coffee every day on the way to work before roasting at home, and I don't think the beans they sell in the store are what they use to brew, but I haven't tried them ground fresh with heavy cream.  They do have a very loyal following around here (Chicago) as well - most days the drive-thru has a long line in the morning.  I believe the company makes more money on the coffee compared to donuts.
JeffPersson
JeffPersson

Espresso: Mini Vivaldi II & TWIST v2
Grinder: SM90, Preciso, Porlex, PeDe...
Vac Pot: Yama 8-cup
Drip: trifectaMB, HG, Chemex...
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Wed Dec 3, 2008, 1:49pm

I have to agree with Jeff on this one. The heavy cream they use is a big part of the flavor and mouth feel of DD coffee. I would use the DD Coffee in the Bunn and use either bottled or filtered tap water, then add heavy whipping cream to your taste. You'll be pretty close to the mark. You may have to play with the fineness of the grind to dial it in.

My father, a retired law enforcement officer, always said they got labelled with the donut thing because they were always stopping to get more coffee. He's a huge DD fan.

My wife plans to sign me up for the first season of Coffee Gadget Hoarders.
Corvairfan

Posted Wed Dec 3, 2008, 6:54pm

I just did some more testing tonight with not great results. 2 sugars, 8 ounce mug, light cream.

In the Bunn I tried 8 heaping tablespoons for 50 ounces ground course like on the Terroir website. Had a sour taste to it.

I did heaping because in previous coffee tests in the Bunn it made weak coffee with 56 grams of coffee for 50 ounces...though that was with the regular head not the restrictor I am using in this test.

Then:

Took 2 just below level tablespoons(14 grams)on previous measurement ...ground mid drip on my Breville and did a pourover. Kind of watery but for the most part tasted exactly like D+D. SUCCESS.

Then:

I did 2 heaping tablespoons ground mid drip in the pourover and it too got sour.

Then:

Took 4 heaping tablespoons for 25 ounces in the Bunn ground mid drip as I did for the pourover. Still sour.

QUESTION:

I thought more beans ground finer killed the sour taste and moved toward bitter? That was not the case.

All and all I have it dialed in for pourover but I am severely disappointing in the coffee the Bunn is making.

Maybe I should dump it and go for the 6 cup Melitta pourover...but that is a lot of work for a few cups of coffee.
gime2much

Espresso: La Pavoni, Astoria comm, 2...
Grinder: La Pavoni Zip, Bunn...
Drip: Bunn comm
Roaster: Popcorn popper (air),co/ufo
Posted Wed Dec 3, 2008, 7:07pm

Sour and bitter is the result of water temperature, not the amount of grind, which by the way you are not using enough of for my taste.

Sour means water temperature too low. Have you checked the Bunn???

Dan Brewer
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Thu Dec 4, 2008, 11:53am

Too fine of a grind and you will have over extracted coffee, I would start with a more course grind.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
bodum_fanatic
bodum_fanatic
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Won't become one of those...
Grinder: Braun KMM30, Krups Fast...
Vac Pot: Never had much luck there.
Drip: Melitta Deluxe 132 made in...
Roaster: West Bend Poppery II
Posted Mon Dec 8, 2008, 1:12pm

I have tried Dunkin Donuts whole beans on three different occasions, and found the coffee to be undrinkable.
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Dunkin Donuts at...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Don't suffer bad espresso
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, VBM, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.253851175308)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+