Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Cold brewing coffee, unexpected benefits
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Cold brewing...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
Jan_H

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Sun Aug 3, 2008, 4:09pm
Subject: Re: Cold brewing coffee, unexpected benefits

Iced coffee is great with cold-brew, as well as Thai-style (also called iced Vietnamese coffee, too, I think). I think it would probably work for any recipe where you add ice cubes to a shaker, too, like espresso martinis and such. Anything you were going to use espresso and ice for should be a good drink with the cold-brew as well. A lot of coffeehouses I know of make their cold and iced drinks with cold-brew. There are also some recipes on the Toddy site (link above).

Yup you might need to add more coffee to the press depending on what you are using. The Toddy ratio is roughly about 4:1 water to coffee so that's what I've based it on, but I'm using French Market.

Here's a handy set of measurements (U.S.) from the Toddy site for recalculating:
1 pound of coffee = 16 ounces = 60 heaping tablespoons = 75 level tablespoons = 5.25 cups (~ 5 tablespoons = 1 ounce)
9 cups of water = 72 ounces

The Toddy site also talks about recalculating. I've just found that one 13-oz. can of French Market is perfect, and I make a 2nd batch with the used grinds, too, let it set for 24 hours and use 2 oz. of concentrate per cup of coffee. Sometimes I use warm water to make the second batch in the winter time. One thing I do differently though with the Toddy is I put the grounds in first and then run tap water into the urn and mash the grounds down until they are all dampened. I also picked up an el cheapo shower cap at the store and stretch that over the top of the urn while it's sitting. Keeps odd things out of the coffee like bugs, barbie dolls, hot wheel cars etc.

And if you have the Toddy, the decanter that comes with it is just a plain old-fashioned 50's style juice decanter that you can find at most stores pretty cheap. So you can have two decanters to swap out when supplies run low, or for use with making a second batch.
 View Profile Link to this post
JVBorella
JVBorella
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Speedster, Strega, Cremina
Grinder: K10 WBC, Bunnzilla
Vac Pot: Hario NCA 3 & 5, Mitzudash
Drip: Hario Wooden Neck/Buono
Roaster: Hottop KN-8828P/B
Posted Sun Aug 3, 2008, 6:18pm

When I make Iced Coffee with the concentrate I use around 50% concentrate, 35% water & 15% half & half. Using Peet's Major Dickason's the i/c had a nice dark chocolate flavor. Next I want to try Intelligentsia's
El Diablo Dark Roast  in the Toddy.

John
Ramblin
Ramblin

Espresso: Aereo?
Grinder: KA Proline,
Drip: Melitta Clarity
Roaster: Iroast, SC/CO
Posted Sun Aug 3, 2008, 6:48pm

KillerQ Said:

I just did a 12 hour batch....  Came out great!  I used the Pike Place Roast....  Real Mellow!

So, what are some good recipes using this concentrate?

Later,

Matt!

Posted August 3, 2008 link

3 oz coffee concentrate
2 oz vodka
3 oz 1/2 & 1/2 (substitute a scoop of premium vanilla ice cream)
1 cup of ice
Sugar to taste
drop of vanilla or maybe cinnamon

Dump in blender until smooth.
KillerQ
KillerQ

Espresso: Saeco Barista
Grinder: Capresso Infinity 565
Drip: Manual Cone Drip
Posted Sun Aug 3, 2008, 7:10pm

Hey all,

My wife bought a bottle of Starbucks Coffee Frappucino today - I had a taste, and then tried to duplicate it using my cold brew.

Just guessing, I used 1/4 cup + 2 Tbs of concentrate, 1 Tbs of sugar, and 1 cup of milk.  I shook it all up, and we both agreed that it taste the same as the store bought!!  Bingo!

I love this stuff....

Jan, thanks for the measurement breakdown - I was on the FrenchMarket site looking for those - i guess I was in the wrong place...  Also, I heard that the red HotWheels cars will add a bit of flavor to the brew....can you confirm?

Later,

Matt!
Waynen

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Brikka, Moka Pot
Grinder: Ditting KF804,Nemox Lux
Vac Pot: Silex ,Fr Press,
Drip: Cowboy coffee Thru Finum
Roaster: Wearever pumper
Posted Sun Aug 3, 2008, 8:41pm

I watched a video on You Tube from the French Market people promoting the coffee using the Toddy Cold brew.
Interesting.
I'm going to dig mine out of retirement and try it again.  I can't remember why I quit using it.  I know I wasn't using the really fine coffees I use now.  I remember the first time I used it, I came home frome work after it had been brewing all day and the aroma was truly glorious.
And incidentally, I just put a folded newpaper over it to keep the undesirables out.
I really did like the coffee though, I do remember that.

Wayne
Jan_H

Posted Mon Aug 4, 2008, 9:19pm

*I heard that the red HotWheels cars will add a bit of flavor to the brew....can you confirm?*

Ummm ... cinnamon I think ...

ROFL! Sometimes I wish that I could draw. I get the funniest mind-pictures that would make great cartoons. Like a guy sitting at the bar looking aghast at his espresso martini with a green Hot Wheels car in it instead of fruit; and the bartender tells him it's a splash of lime ...

OK, maybe not ... :)
illinigirl

Posted Mon Aug 11, 2008, 12:17pm

just wondering....I only have a 4 Cup French Press.....could I brew a larger batch of concentrate in a 32 ounce water bottle and then filter it a little at a time in my french press?  Do the grounds sink to the bottom of the container after sitting a while?
Jan_H

Posted Mon Aug 11, 2008, 9:52pm

Try using 1/3 to 1/2 cup ground coffee in your 4-cup press. Yes, you can brew it in a separate 32-ounce container. Then put a paper coffee filter in a funnel and pour the cold brew through the funnel into another storage container. Sometimes the grounds sink to the bottom, but not always. Most of mine tend to float. You can keep the concentrate in the refrigerator for a couple of weeks without it losing its flavor. Good luck!
Ramblin
Ramblin

Espresso: Aereo?
Grinder: KA Proline,
Drip: Melitta Clarity
Roaster: Iroast, SC/CO
Posted Tue Aug 12, 2008, 8:43am

My problem now is now that I'm about out of the beans I had been trying to use up. I hate to use really good coffee beans that are destined to have milk and maybe vanilla added to them.

Anyone have a stash of something they'd like to be rid of?  Not too old?

I'm going to try some cheap ground coffee and see if my wife notices. Not sure if I'm committing sacrilege by admitting to this on coffee geek.
illinigirl

Posted Tue Aug 12, 2008, 3:20pm

just to add to the measurements comments: I bought a 2lb bag of whole bean coffee from Costco today and it measured out at a bit more than 12 cups ground coffee (I ground it on the coarse setting in the Costco grinder).  So with this logic I put 6 Cups of ground coffee into my glass sun-tea container and added 9 Cups of water.  That would mean 1.5Cups water to every 1 Cup grounds.  Quite different than some of the other recipes in this thread.  But since this is supposed to be coffee concentrate I don't imagine it can ever be too strong, right?

Yesterday I brewed a batch using a 10oz package of pre-ground Starbucks coffee with about 5.5 Cups of water.  I didn't measure how many cups the 10oz package turned out to be. But anyways I brewed that from 4pm yesterday to about 9:30am this morning and then filtered it with some basket style filters lining my mesh colander and it turned out perfectly.  

For me I like the idea of using the cheaper beans because I personally think that this cold brewing method sort of 'evens out' the differences in quality among beans because of the way I serve up my concentrate (trying to duplicate an iced coffee from a coffee house with a little milk and vanilla syrup and lots of ice).
showing page 2 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Cold brewing...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.325388908386)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+