Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Cuisinart, Saeco, a search for good machines
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Cuisinart,...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
DRabbit

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Sat Jan 5, 2008, 12:23pm
Subject: Cuisinart, Saeco, a search for good machines

Reading the reviews, which I've been doing, can certainly make your head spin...

It started Christmas Eve. My sister-in-law answered my prayers and gave me a coffee maker for Christmas. I had asked for one with a thermal carafe and she must have missed that part, but it seemed like a nice coffee machine none-the-less. It was a Cuisinart Brew Master 1200 (12-cup).

I liked the 1-4 setting that brewed small pots hotter.
I liked the alert tone.
I liked being able to set the warming plate temp.
I did NOT like the glass carafe (which ultimately makes my "like" of the temp-adjustable warming plate pointless).
I thought the coffee was a bit weak.
And most of all, after one week of using it daily, it died. Completely.

So I returned it for a store credit (Bed, Bath and Beyond).

I had seen a Saeco Venus 8-cup at Starbucks, and though a bit pricier than I'm used to, I went for it. They said I could return it if I didn't like it.

Well, I liked the carafe... heavy-duty vacuum sealed, locking lid seemed to keep coffee hot.
I liked how it looked.
The coffee tasted good... stronger than with the Cuisinart.
Though at first I thought it would be okay, I quickly realized it did NOT brew coffee hot enough. If you drink it black or with only a little half and half, maybe it's hot enough for you... I drink my coffee a variety of ways, sometimes with flavored creamers, sometimes with half and half, sometimes black, sometimes with flavored syrups, and after just 2 days I decided to return it. Once you add any normal amount of half and half or cold creamer it's just not hot enough. There's nothing worse than a cup of coffee that's really only bordering on warm and hot when it's freshly brewed, and that gets cold very quickly in your cup.

So I'm going to return it.

In the meantime I went back to Bed, Bath and Beyond and looked at what they had. LOTS of Cuisinarts. Some Krups. Some Mr. Coffees (I was disappointed there were no Capresso models in the store). It seems around this site some favor for the Cuisinart and Krups brands (in the lessor expensive category). Cuisinart has some of those interesting features I enjoyed with the first coffee maker. I had narrowed it down to two... the Grind-and-Brew (newer model version) and the Coffee-on-Demand looked interesting. I will say, after the first one dying I'm nervous, but after talking it over with hubby, who drinks the coffee too, we decided on the Coffee-on-Demand (model DCC-2000).

Of course, I kept my receipt - LOL

I read the consumer reviews here and they were a mixed bag... and, as usual, there was one really glowing review and one really not-so-good review (opposite ends of the spectrum). It got good reviews on Amazon, which seems in general to reflect more the average consumer and not the coffee connoisseur.... and I myself have only begun the journey to making a truly good cup of coffee, so I'm not sure of the reviews that are truly helpful.

So I ask, are there others with experience with this machine, the Cuisinart Coffee-on-Demand DCC-2000? I'd love to hear all thoughts, pluses and minuses. Would love to hear from anyone who has it their "tips" on brewing the best cup of coffee.

Anyone? ;)

Thanks all!
 View Profile Link to this post
soliant

Posted Sat Jan 5, 2008, 12:58pm
Subject: Re: Cuisinart, Saeco, a search for good machines

One thing I've read is the storage unit that holds the brewed coffee is plastic, and someone complained about a weird plasticy taste.  Anyhow, I wouldn't like my hot coffee sitting in a plastic compartment.  Like you I saw all the good reviews on it  though.  

p.s. It's impossible to find a machine that everyone likes, there is always a complaint.  

Supposedly this is the top dog manufacturer in coffee drips : Technivorm

also check this one out: krups mf5
DRabbit

Posted Sat Jan 5, 2008, 1:25pm

I have to laugh!

I just ran the pot (water only) and it leaked all over the counter. So I thought maybe I did something wrong. Checked directions, made sure everything was in place, and ran it again. Water on the counter.

I go around the internet and research some more... read further into reviews (older ones) and see this is a KNOWN issues with the DCC-2000.

LOL

Maybe I've just been unlucky, but Cuisinart is obviously not the brand for me! I'm disappointed honestly... my short experience with the Brew Master was good until it died... and I was really hoping this nifty new one would prove to be a winner.

In a little while I'm headed back to Bed, Bath and Beyond, but going to a different location to see if they have the Capresso in stock. If not, I don't know what I'll do!
ommoran

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Sun Jan 6, 2008, 7:52am

DRabbit Said:

So I ask, are there others with experience with this machine, the Cuisinart Coffee-on-Demand DCC-2000? I'd love to hear all thoughts, pluses and minuses. Would love to hear from anyone who has it their "tips" on brewing the best cup of coffee.

Posted January 5, 2008 link

Hi there,

My lovley wife bought me a Coffee-on-Demand for Christmas.  It was time to retire our 12-year-old Braun Flavourselect 12 (K155 or K157, I think), a faithful, wonderful and dependable coffee maker.  The only problems we ever had with it were having to replace the switch so the unit would function,which we had to do 3 times, I believe.  Not a cheap fix, either.  However, it this unit had developed a crack at the bottom and some permanent staining where the steam vents, so it was starting to earn the nickname "scar".

I have used this unit every day since Christmas day, often to brew 2 pots.  I find that it does keep the coffee at a nice temperature, and I don't think the plastic reservoir does impart any taste, although I was surprised that this tank wasn't steel.  I find the warming plate in the resevoir to be a great idea, as it certainly does not burn the coffee.  I use the timer feature (a sin, I know, but I'm quite bleary-eyed in the morning) and like it.  I also love that there are no miscellaneous drips from the pot as you are pouring a cup, nothing to wipe afterwards.

I have not had the issue of the leaking onto the counter.  I know that I have had water on the counter after I move the unit, as it has a large opening in the back that allows water to escape if the unit is jostled.  All in all I enjoy the unit and the coffee it produces.
DRabbit

Posted Sun Jan 6, 2008, 1:36pm

Thanks for your thoughts Ommoran.

I did read reviews from a lot of people who liked the machine, but considering mine leaked and there was too much around the net indicating the leaking thing is a big issue, I decided to take back the Coffee-on-Demand.

So while I think many of you may cringe when I say so, I ended up with the Keurig B70. The cup-at-a-time is a really good fit for my family as my hubby can drink caf while I'm stuck permanently with decaf... at least he doesn't HAVE to be... and I like the idea of minimal effort in cleanup.

So far I like it. Coffee is always fresh and there's no waste... at least as far as wasting coffee. Of course, the downside is that the kcups create their own waste, which I imagine isn't very environmentallly friendly. I already ordered the "My Kcup" which lets you use your own coffee... this was the big benefit to the Keurig over other pod-type machines.

I also saw it got decent reviews both here and on Amazon.

As far as the taste... coffee is strong enough and hot enough, though the brand of decaf I bought doesn't seem to be up my alley, so I've ordered a few boxes of other brands to try. What I have now is a columbian decaf and it's quite bitter (I think - though I'm no expert). I'm anxious to try others and to try my own coffee using the My Kcup accessory.

I'm certainly not the expert as many here in these forums, so I appreciate your patience and willingness to help. Only time now will tell if I like the Keurig B70... since at least I finally got a machine that FUNCTIONS properly. LOL
ommoran

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Wed Jan 9, 2008, 10:26pm

DRabbit Said:

So while I think many of you may cringe when I say so, I ended up with the Keurig B70. The cup-at-a-time is a really good fit for my family as my hubby can drink caf while I'm stuck permanently with decaf... at least he doesn't HAVE to be... and I like the idea of minimal effort in cleanup.

So far I like it.

Posted January 6, 2008 link

Glad you found something you like.  My wife has also mostly switched to decaf so we do have the same trouble - I think for her birthday I will by her a good french press.
albacore
albacore

Espresso: 12 yr old Betty Crocker (I...
Grinder: Cuisinart Supreme Burr
Drip: Capresso ST600
Roaster: Poppery II, modified with...
Posted Thu Jan 10, 2008, 11:56am

If you find something that you like, and it works well, you have reached your goal.  The world of coffee is an extremely personal and subjective experience.  Congratulations, your long voyage to satisfaction is over.
                                                                          -Jeff-
bodum_fanatic
bodum_fanatic
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Won't become one of those...
Grinder: Braun KMM30, Krups Fast...
Vac Pot: Never had much luck there.
Drip: Melitta Deluxe 132 made in...
Roaster: West Bend Poppery II
Posted Thu Jan 10, 2008, 1:25pm

If it works for you, and you are satisfied with it, that's what matters.  Don't ever let anyone tell you that your system of brewing coffee is 'substandard' as long as it's good enough for you.  I have literally drunk coffee brewed by pouring hot water through a wool sock filled with coffee grinds; that is the only method I can definitely say one should avoid, especially if you haven't had access to proper laundering facilities for awhile.
albacore
albacore

Espresso: 12 yr old Betty Crocker (I...
Grinder: Cuisinart Supreme Burr
Drip: Capresso ST600
Roaster: Poppery II, modified with...
Posted Wed Jan 23, 2008, 12:39pm

Was that sock clean, or dirty?   Cause that could definitely affect the subtle nuances in flavor that are so effectively transmitted by means of the "old wool sock" brewing method.  :)  
BTW- I have been known to fabricate a "coffee tea bag" from an old paper coffee filter and a piece of dental floss- cinnamon, I think.  Again, not the greatest brewing method.
jonstrong
jonstrong

Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso
Drip: Newco OCS-12
Posted Wed Jan 23, 2008, 6:37pm

I just spent a few weeks reading hundreds of posts, reviews, etc... deciding between the Capresso 500mt, the various Technivorm brewers, Bunn, etc. Finally decided on a Newco OCS-12 (and I'm *very* happy with that!)....and then a couple of days ago went into the office where I just recently accepted a new job....

They have a 10 year old Mr Coffee of some sort. As far as I can, they don't know what descaling means - even if that would make a difference with this "brewer" (hate to dignify it with that term).

Adding insult to injury, the office "standard" is a red plastic tub of pre-ground Folgers....

Yesterday that were "brewing" a pot of "Folgers" (better to call it that instead of "coffee"), and the smell of burnt acidic oil was SO potent and nasty that I couldn't associate it with coffee.

*sigh*

- Jon

www.stronggroup.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Cuisinart,...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.325752973557)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+