Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Audrey squirted me again! :(
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Audrey squirted...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
The_Mighty_Bean
The_Mighty_Bean
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: "Beauty"  (the gentle and...
Grinder: Gi-normous Rossi RR45; 100...
Vac Pot: Have my eye on a Yama
Drip: French press purist, have a...
Roaster: Hairdryer and a wire whisk....
Posted Tue Jan 1, 2008, 1:03pm
Subject: Audrey squirted me again! :(

Thus continueth the chronicle of my troubles with this Rancilio Audrey.  As some of you know, I ebayed myself an Audrey and had issues getting the correct pressure dialed in. This led to a gasket replacement.

I now have Audrey's shots confirmed at 9.0 bar. Everything mechanical seems fine.  I have an ltalsomac grinder, which is comparable to a Rocky. The coffee I am using is fresh.

Here's the issue. If I grind too finely, Audrey does not choke. She does not give me a 40 or 50 second shot.

Instead she shoots fine streams of hot water out past the sides of the portafilter, burning me, and watering down the shot-in-progress.

This has been hapenning since I got the machine, and it hampers my ability to adjust the grind. If I have a shot that's pouring just a little too fast, and I go one step up, Audrey gets mad and squirts me.  As a result, normal doubles are very difficult to dial in, and going triple basket or ristretto is pretty near impossible.

The OPV is not clogged, I cleaned it out with a pinhead. The solenoid works fine, I hear it dump pressure whenever I take off the PF after a shot. I also just backflushed a couple of days ago so it's all clean in there.

What should I do? I'm tempted to create some sort of additional waterseal in between the PF and the grouphead, but have no idea how to go about that.

This problem has occurred with 3 different portafilters, including the original.   I generally work with a naked PF and ridgeless baskets, but I have an assortment and nothing I've done solves this problem.

~tMb
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
The_Mighty_Bean
The_Mighty_Bean

Posted Sat May 10, 2008, 7:32pm
Subject: Re: Audrey squirted me again! :(

I just found this thread on a google search, so I thoght I'd fill in the solution to the problem, which I learned shortly after posting the original query.

You have to use your other arm to brace the Audrey, and you really have to push hard on the PF for that final quarter inch or so. Put some elbow grease into it.   Then the portafilters lock in without a problem, and you can pull any shot you want.

Two caveats:

If you overdose the basket too much, you'll probably still get squirted no matter what. Dose according to your basket size.

If you ar using the stock Audrey portafilter, it only takes shallow baskets like what it comes with. Don't torture yourself. Get a Silvia-style portafilter with LM-style ridgeless baskets. Your shots will improve noticeably and you will be squirted with hot water a whole lot less.

~tMb
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
mitchellb

Espresso: Isomac Zaffiro
Grinder: Mazzer Major
Drip: Hario Pourover
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Sat May 10, 2008, 9:55pm

you might try a different portafilter.. the original that came with my astra had leaking problems that a marzocco pf solved.. it will fit your wega too and it's badass.. you can also get one of those cheapies at marzoccoman.com..

Click Here (www.marzoccoman.com)

the marzocco, in my experience, has thicker tabs then that black pf that came with audrey.. try using the pf that came with the wega on it too..
 View Profile Link to this post
The_Mighty_Bean
The_Mighty_Bean

Posted Mon May 12, 2008, 9:03am

Thanks Mitchell, that's a fantastic link. I did try the Wega PF's, plus my aftermarket naked one  All of them fit, some turn farther (have smaller wings) than others, but ALL of them leak unless I put some muscle into tightening them. And the gasket is new.

As best I can tell, it's a quirk of the Audrey grouphead... maybe it's just mine.  At any rate, it is never a problem, I'm just posting it as an FYI to others who may pick up an Audrey on Ebay, etc.

~tMb
mitchellb

Espresso: Isomac Zaffiro
Grinder: Mazzer Major
Drip: Hario Pourover
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Tue May 13, 2008, 12:21pm

i just never had that problem with my audrey..

you could also fool around with adjusting the opv valve.. it's on the side of the boiler when you take audrey apart.. it is connected to the line that goes back into the water reservoir..

if the opv is completely closed than the pump pressure alone is a little excessive.. still the gasket should probably create a good seal, but you might get better shots at ~8-9 bar than the 11-12 if the opv is closed.
 View Profile Link to this post
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Audrey squirted...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.233513832092)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+