Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
chemex brewing
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > chemex brewing  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
drippedout

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Mon Dec 10, 2007, 1:44pm
Subject: chemex brewing

I got a chemex brewer over the weekend and have used it twice so far.  The coffee has been excellent both times.  But this morning, it took ~30 minutes to brew a full pot (9-10 cups).  Any tips on how to speed things up?  I'm using a Krups burr grinder set to its coarsest setting.  The coffee was great.  But the wait was a little long.  Any thoughts?  Thanks!
 View Profile Link to this post
jliedeka
jliedeka
Expertise: I live coffee

Grinder: Rocky Stainless
Drip: Technivorm, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor, heat gun
Posted Mon Dec 10, 2007, 2:44pm
Subject: Re: chemex brewing

This is just a guess but maybe your grinder is producing too many fines which is slowing the water flow.  It sounds counter-intuitive but it may help to adjust your grinder to a finer setting.  You may produce less dust with a more medium grind.

Jim

Cafe todo el dia, tequila toda la noche
SJM

Espresso: SAMA, Gaggia Classic
Grinder: K-10PB, Rancilio MD-50
Vac Pot: no like
Drip: no like
Roaster: HotTop
Posted Tue Dec 11, 2007, 10:49am

I was reading over at the Sweet Maria site and happened on their Chemex pages.  You might want to read them to see if there is some help you can glean from there

http://www.sweetmarias.com/brewing.inst.chemex.html

Meanwhile I'm gonna head into the kitchen and use MY Chemex to get my morning required hit. ( As you can see, mine is tiny, so time isn't an issue here.)

Susan

SJM: Chemex and French Press.JPG
(Click for larger image)
drippedout

Posted Tue Dec 11, 2007, 11:26am

Thanks for the ideas.  I adjusted the setting on my grinder to 3/4 of the max coarse setting this morning.  It didn't seem to help much.  Brewing 5-6 cups took 20 minutes.  I've often thought that the grind settings on my grinder don't actually make a difference in how fine/coarse it is.  I may try having my coffee shop grind the beans to see if that makes a difference.
svyerkgeniiy

Espresso: (-ish) Bialetti moka pot
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Vac Pot: Yama (large 8-cup)
Drip: Technivorm KBT; Clever...
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Tue Dec 11, 2007, 11:44am

drippedout Said:

...  I've often thought that the grind settings on my grinder don't actually make a difference in how fine/coarse it is.  I may try having my coffee shop grind the beans to see if that makes a difference.

Posted December 11, 2007 link

The problem may not be the setting on your grinder, as much as it is the quality of your grinder.

Higher-quality grinders produce a more consistent grind; the cheaper ones produce a grind that has more powder and more coarse particles than the chosen setting.  In other words, a better grinder should produce a steep bell curve of particle size, while the cheaper ones produce a flatter curve, or maybe not even a bell curve at all.  More powder will clog up the paper filter with a mud-like slurry.  (That would be another clue:  if the post-brew grounds in the filter have parts that look like a mud slick, powder is probably the problem.)

The true test will come with a shop grind as you are planning.  If that indeed shows a big difference in brew times, then you would need to purchase a higher-quality grinder.

Donald Varona
drippedout

Posted Tue Dec 11, 2007, 2:28pm

The problem may not be the setting on your grinder, as much as it is the quality of your grinder.

I'm afraid that may be the problem.  The Krups grinder was supposed to be my cheap entry to burr grinders.  But I may need to upgrade.  Thankfully, Bed Bath & Beyond has a pretty forgiving return policy.  I'll try the coffee shop coarse grind and see how that does.
techylah

Posted Tue Dec 11, 2007, 2:51pm

That's why I switched to an Aeropress. 20 seconds on a plunger and you've pushed your brew through a microfine filter!

Until I did, though, I found it helpful to pull the paper away from the glass slightly and I made sure to add water all the way to the top to provide more water pressure at the bottom.

Mitch
eastbaysanfranman
eastbaysanfranman

Espresso: Nueva Simmoneli Oscar
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky doserless
Vac Pot: Hario
Drip: Technivorm/Chemex/Espro...
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Sat Dec 15, 2007, 11:16am

I've had a chemex for a couple of months and was having the same problems. Not to say that you don't have a problem with your grind because you may but the reason it was taking sooo long to brew with my chemex was improper brew methods. I was pouring in the water, waiting for it to drip all the way through and then pouring again. Not only was this taking too long but the coffee grounds were heating up, then cooling down, only to heat up again. After research I found that you are supposed to keep water on the grounds to provide a consistent temperature. I was then able to get my brewing down to  around 4 minutes. (that is what I heard we should be shooting for, 4 minutes can anyone verify?)
jliedeka
jliedeka

Grinder: Rocky Stainless
Drip: Technivorm, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor, heat gun
Posted Sun Dec 16, 2007, 10:03am

I've never heard an official time.  My brews usually take around 8 minutes and the coffee doesn't taste overextracted.

Jim

Cafe todo el dia, tequila toda la noche
drippedout

Posted Sun Dec 16, 2007, 10:26am

How many cups of coffee are others brewing with the chemex?  I haven't found the right solution yet.  The coffee tastes great.  But making 8 cups (4-5 mugs) of coffee for two still takes 20-25 minutes of attention and pouring.  I've read and followed the instructions on SweetMarias and other sites.  Having the beans ground at the coffee shop helped a little and probably cut the time down to 20 minutes.  But that's still a lot of time to stand at the stove and pour the kettle.  This morning I tried using a paper filter for my drip machine.  That seemed to be working until the filter ripped a hole in the bottom.  Chemex coffee may become limited to a weekend project for me.  But I'm not ready to give up yet because it tastes so good.
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > chemex brewing  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.278860092163)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+