Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Adjusting Water Temps on BUNN VP17/Commercial
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Adjusting Water...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 4 last page next page
Author Messages
XISMZERO

Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Capresso Infinity Conical...
Drip: BUNN VP17-1
Posted Mon Nov 19, 2007, 9:32am
Subject: Adjusting Water Temps on BUNN VP17/Commercial

Has anyone ever tried adjusting/increasing the brew/tank temperature on the BUNN VP17 or unit like it? I'd like to max out the machine, get the water brew temp super hot but the manual is about as warm and inviting as the unplugged stainless steel body of the machine.

So the manual is vague, technical and doesn't specifically answer the question of adjusting the temperature clearly. I may have to call BUNN's technical support line, but I'd like to know if anyone can give me a layman's rundown. I want to be careful as to not mess anything up beyond repair which is why I'm not going in or removing screws or wiring. I guess this is what you get when you buy a commercial unit for home...
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
gime2much

Espresso: La Pavoni, Astoria comm, 2...
Grinder: La Pavoni Zip, Bunn...
Drip: Bunn comm
Roaster: Popcorn popper (air),co/ufo
Posted Mon Nov 19, 2007, 10:46am
Subject: Re: Adjusting Water Temps on BUNN VP17/Commercial

UNPLUG the unit and remove the top which is held in place by 3, possibly 4 screws. The adjustable thermostat is right there.

I have one that max at 201 and another that is 203.

Dan

Dan Brewer
 View Profile Link to this post
XISMZERO

Posted Mon Nov 19, 2007, 2:28pm

Thanks Dan,

Seemed a lot simpler than I assumed (it's a BUNN, so there are only so many "switches"). My model had me turning a knob all the way to the "HI" setting. Also found another nifty something; my machine was personally signed off by the technicians and assembly persons involved!
gime2much

Espresso: La Pavoni, Astoria comm, 2...
Grinder: La Pavoni Zip, Bunn...
Drip: Bunn comm
Roaster: Popcorn popper (air),co/ufo
Posted Mon Nov 19, 2007, 2:50pm

I have 2 of the VPRs so I know what you mean.

You might be interested in a recent thread about restricting the flow rate to achieve a fuller bodied brew.

The toothpick method worked great for me.

Dan

Dan Brewer
BrotherLehman

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Anita
Grinder: 2 Macap M4 Dosers
Vac Pot: French Press/Brikka
Drip: Bunn VP-17 Commercial
Roaster: RK Drum & Behmor
Posted Mon Nov 19, 2007, 6:14pm

I have a VP17-1 and the following info on increasing the temp I got from the dealer I purchased it from, who worked for Bunn before he went on his own.   The first method is behind the front plate and is easy and obvious once you remove the front plate. You already did that. In the second method, after you remove the top plate, you must remove the water tray for access.  You will then see a thin coiled tubing which goes through a small nylon cap.  This is attached to the temp probe.  You need to pull the temp probe upwards using the thermocouble tubing. (carefully). The higher you pull it the hotter the water will be. I'm not a tech writer so I can't be much more descriptive.  Good Luck.  It worked for me but YMMV.

Don
XISMZERO

Posted Mon Nov 19, 2007, 11:52pm

So just how hot can you get the water to brew at? Does accessing this coiled tubing involve removing some of the wiring?
XISMZERO

Posted Tue Nov 20, 2007, 4:21pm

I went inside the unit and I know what you're talking about here. There's a red line on the coiled wire that goes through the nylon cap/grommet. Does this wiring get pulled up (I pulled it up as far as it goes)? Sorry if I seem a bit misdirected by the instructions. Just want to be clear here.
nemoorellc

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Scale: Uber 6kg
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso
Drip: Bunn CW15-TC
Posted Tue Nov 20, 2007, 7:20pm

As you're trying to adjust your water temperature, realize that the temperature control system on a Bunn falls under the category of bang-bang control in which the heater comes on when the water goes below a certain temperature (probably around 195F) and turns off after the heater hits a high temperature (probably just over 200F).  At any point, you water temperature can vary between these two set points.

The best way to test the impact of your changes is to measure the temperature coming out of the brew head immediately after the "OK to brew" light comes on.  On my commercial unit, this is a green light on the front.  When it comes on, the water temperature is at it's peak.   Measuring at the same time of the heating process gives you a consistent point to compare against.

The recommendation to pull the thermocouple further out of the hot pot is basically pulling the thermocouple further away from the heating coils, which is why the temperature gets hotter.  Just be careful not to pull the thermocouple out to far, as it could lead to the water boiling or the heater not actually going off at all as the temperature of the water is not actually being read by the thermocouple (worst case).  Either of these cases aren't good.
XISMZERO

Posted Tue Nov 20, 2007, 11:36pm

Thanks for the assistance.

The thermocouple on my machine is at its highest point under the cap, practically against it ceiling level. About the green light, my VP17 is likely a newer/alter model as it doesn't contain the light but shows alternate models having one in the manual. Also, I always brew when the tank stops roaring (heating), even did that when I had my old NBX (which never indicated it was alright to brew when the tank roared) and makes that "click" sound (something the NBX does not do as it's not as technical/adjustable as the commercial units).

Typically for best results I always pre-brew to make sure the piping, funnel and pot is heated so I get the max temps when I brew coffee.

The manual seems to suggest the tank heat can excess 230F, which is not sought out as anything above 212F is a little too extreme. Does the voltage (120V needed) of your outlet have much to do with the excess of temperature achieved?
XISMZERO

Posted Mon Nov 26, 2007, 2:34pm

A warming warning to all those looking to "trick-out" the machine by pulling up the control thermometer: do not remove the rubber cap holding the thermo in place and pour water into the tank. It will overflow and leak all over your counter, floor. Only pull it as far as the cap will allow for it to go. As you can tell, I've done some more experimenting and it did just that a while ago.

I'd like to hear more testimonies of people who've wanted to get their tank heat maxed. This applies to anyone with a BUNN commercial...
showing page 1 of 4 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Adjusting Water...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Don't suffer bad espresso
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, VBM, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.244801044464)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+