Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
help sorting through all the coffee making options
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > help sorting...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
mgh

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Sun Nov 11, 2007, 8:18am
Subject: help sorting through all the coffee making options

Hi All,

I have been reading here and other places, and seem to be getting more confused rather than becoming clearer.

I have only just started trying better coffee, and would like to try a better coffee maker.  I have a burr grinder ordered, though not conical.

I like dark roast, but typically only 1 large cup (16-20 oz.).  I am also limited to decaf at this time.

The manual drip sounds very easy, and apparently some folks are very happy, but isn't that the same as any drip coffee maker, with the exception of water temp control?

The other two that have peaked my interest are the Aerobie Aeropress, and one of the Moka's like the
Bialetti Moka Express, 3 Cup.

I know nothing of espresso, and for the moment not interested, first want a good cup of coffee.  The moka is described as an espresso maker.  So is espresso only a stong cup of coffee?  Can I dilute the espresso I would make with the moka the same way I undertand the coffee from the Aerobie Aeropress is?

The prices of many of the coffee makers were a bit of a shock for me, and since I am still experimenting, not wanting to spend a lot.  Also, even though I can tell a difference between a generic canned coffee and a better coffee, I do not believe I have all that discriminating a taste.

Sorry for rambling, hope someone has the patience for a new guy.

Thanks.
 View Profile Link to this post
Terry_L
Terry_L
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Coffee
Grinder: MDF, Solis Scala 166
Vac Pot: French-Press(s)-Love 'em
Drip: Bunn
Roaster: SC/TO - Air Popper
Posted Sun Nov 11, 2007, 8:31am
Subject: Re: help sorting through all the coffee making options

Welcome to the board!
confusion can reign supreme as there are as many opinions as there are people....trust me, it'll get worse before it gets better.  There is hope, however.  Start slow and enjoy the journey.  Sounds like you've made the right first step.....a grinder !  Simply getting away from pre-ground stale junk will improve your cup dramatically.  The pour-over will allow you to obtain a great cup without hardly any expense.  Having complete control over water temp and steep time (via grind size) will allow you to experiment and gain knowledge.  I might throw out the idea of a French Press as well.  It's my personal "fav".  Again, it allows complete control over all the variables, and produces a cup with body and soul !! (all for again a minimal cost).  

Again, welcome, and enjoy the journey !!

Terry
DonTMan
DonTMan
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Gaggia Coffee Deluxe w/PID
Grinder: Rocky, SMP
Vac Pot: Sunbeam
Drip: Zojirushi, Pour-over
Roaster: Whirly-Pop, SC/TO, 5 lb Drum
Posted Sun Nov 11, 2007, 9:02am

Since you have decided (wisely, I think) to leave espresso out of the equation for the time being (to me this is like deciding which drug to become addicted to,  marijuana or heroin)  I like what TL had to say.  My absolute favorite brewing device is the French Press. It gives an honest and extremely accurate portrayal of the coffee you make with it.  

You might also want a good drip brewer.  Two pretty good values I see are the Zojirushi Thermal and the Capresso 600.  Both of these can be had for under $100 and they brew at the proper temp and they have thermal carafes.

As for the other two devices you mention, I like the Moka Pot.  Nice full size cup of rich thick coffee brewed at the proper temp.

Your biggest challenge is finding really good fresh beans.  French Presses don't lie to you and if you have poor quality stale beans this fact will come out in the cup moreso than with a Mr Coffee.

Don Cummings
mgh

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Sun Nov 11, 2007, 9:41am

Thanks for the replies.

I forgot to mentin that I did try a french press a few years ago.  I did not get great results, but I did not know what I was doing with it either.  I almost  certainly did not have the proper grind for it.  As I recall I ended up with a weak cup with what I thought was quite a lot of sediment.

Can you expain the "full size cup" of coffee from the moka pot?  This description here:
Click Here (amazon.com)
states that I will get three 2 oz. cups of espresso.

I am ready to try some mail-order coffee beans.  They at least say that they ship on the same day as roasted.  Trying some of these sites will be a new experience for me also.

I have read that the beans age very quickly after grinding.  (maybe this should be a separate post)  How long can I expect them to stay fresh before grinding?
tjkoko

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Bialetti Moka Pot
Grinder: Baratza Preciso and Turkish...
Drip: Meiltta filter with cone
Roaster: Whirlypop Stovetop Unit,...
Posted Sun Nov 11, 2007, 10:02am

A 6-cup moka pot makes approx 12 oz of coffee.  BTW I have two 6-cup moka pots and one 12-cup moka pots for sale, if you're interested.  They're used but in good shape: no dents and the gasket seals very well.  PM me if interested and I'll email piccies.
jefft

Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso, Kyocera...
Vac Pot: Stove top - Bodum
Drip: Melitta manual pour-over,...
Roaster: Behmor; Air Popper - Poppery...
Posted Sun Nov 11, 2007, 8:42pm

I use a pour-over for my day to day coffee.  Sometimes it seems like a added pain in the butt, but the coffee is always good.  The way I look at it is: I can spend $200 on a Technivorm to try to ensure that I get as consistant results as I get from my pour-over.  One could argue that there are other makers as good for less money, but the point is the same.  I get a great cup using a pour-over, if I dont "need" the added convenience of an auto drip, then why pay the extra money?

If you are looking for a different kind of brewer, then the Moka Pot, French Press, Vac-Pot, Aerobie Aeropress, etc. are all great options.  I would just suggest, since you are just now getting a good grinder and fresh beans, to not change too much else.  I recently did the same thing and found it really frustrating and expensive.  I wish I had just bought the $4 pour-over first and waited to buy the other types of makers (Vac-Pot and Krups Moka Brewer).  Look at my posts the last couple months to see my progression.  It's been a real eye opener into the coffee world....but worth it!

Do you have a place to mail order from already picked out?

I think beans are good for a few weeks at best.  Some of the other guys here could probably tell you better than I could, though.

Also, listen to the advice the folks on this website offer.  They are a great help.

Jeff
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > help sorting...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.23082113266)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+