Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
French Press Clean Up
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > French Press...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
rsyb

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Krups
Grinder: Cuisinart
Drip: No - French Press
Posted Wed Jan 31, 2007, 3:51pm
Subject: French Press Clean Up

I love my Bodum French Press.   I switched to it after a purchasing an unsatisfactory drip maker.

The only part I'm not thrilled with is the daily clean up.  It is messy.

I use a rubber spatula to remove most of the grounds, but a fair amount always remain in the carafe.
Because it is a 12 cup size I usually get it on my hands, etc.  when reaching inside.

Just wondered if anyone who has used a press for a while has found a "better way".

Don't get me wrong.  Clean up is just a small inconvenience.  I'll never go back to a drip maker.

Thanks.
 View Profile Link to this post
BoldJava
BoldJava

Espresso: '82 Oly Cremina 67
Grinder: Macap MC4 Doserless Stepped
Vac Pot: Yamas
Drip: Hario, Beehouse, Cilio, Kone...
Roaster: RK Drum and Gene
Posted Wed Jan 31, 2007, 3:59pm
Subject: Re: French Press Clean Up

>>>I love my Bodum French Press. ..Thee only part I'm not thrilled with is the daily clean up.  It is messy...Just wondered if anyone who has used a press for a while has found a "better way"...>>>

I add about four ounces of water and swish it around until the 'puck' breaks loose.  This either gets poured into the garden off the back porch or gets put into a large jug under the sink that can be capped until I get to the garden, come rain, shine or snow.

B|Java

"On the trail for the goats' grail..."

Dave Borton
St Paul, MN
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
passionateone
passionateone

Espresso: Bezzera BZ02S
Grinder: macap M4 step/doserless,Old...
Vac Pot: cona D
Drip: chemex
Roaster: Gene
Posted Thu Feb 1, 2007, 10:41am

while you're at it be sure to dissassemble the screen and vigorously scrub all three parts with a nylon brush.  The screen will get funky with rancid oil unless you follow this advice.

Composting your grounds is also recomended, your worms will be 30% more active!

Enjoy,
Robi
TimEggers
TimEggers

Espresso: QM Anita, Cappuccino Amore
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Mazzer SJ
Vac Pot: Antique McKee, Santos
Drip: Pour Over, Bodum Presses
Roaster: RK Drum
Posted Thu Feb 1, 2007, 11:02am

I've always rinsed under the faucet and ran the grounds down the sink, and then let air-dry.  Once a week into the dishwasher (fully taken apart).

Simple as that.

Tim Eggers
http://www.facebook.com/TimEggers
http://twitter.com/Tim_Eggers
http://www.youtube.com/user/TimEggers
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
TwoPotRobb

Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Thu Feb 1, 2007, 1:01pm

I was staying at a Copenhagen Bed and not breakfast, and while the owners were on vacation had to clean the Bodum by myself.  Trying to get the used grounds into the waste receptacle I lightly tapped it against the porcelain sink.  Mistake!  broke all to smithereens.  Fortunately the Bodum shop was only a mile away or so, and I walked over and got a replacement glass part, not even too expensive.  DON'T HIT IT TO CLEAR GROUNDS.  LoL
Bergie

Espresso: Bialetti stovetop
Grinder: Capresso Infinity
Vac Pot: Yama,Cory,
Drip: Technivorm,KMB
Posted Thu Feb 1, 2007, 10:21pm

TwoPotRobb Said:

I was staying at a Copenhagen Bed and not breakfast, and while the owners were on vacation had to clean the Bodum by myself.  Trying to get the used grounds into the waste receptacle I lightly tapped it against the porcelain sink.  Mistake!  broke all to smithereens.  Fortunately the Bodum shop was only a mile away or so, and I walked over and got a replacement glass part, not even too expensive.  DON'T HIT IT TO CLEAR GROUNDS.  LoL

Posted February 1, 2007 link

Good Lord--a horror.
    For me,I scoop out most of it into the garbagecan,then rinse everything out in the sink and trust to God that it won't clog the pipes---has worked for a long time,without a problem.
 A bit of a pain in the a--,but worth it.
   While I'm sure it's not necessary to say,don't rap glass on hard surfaces.
                                              Be safe,
                                                    Barry
Smells_Familiar
Smells_Familiar

Espresso: Isomac Zaffiro
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Drip: french press
Roaster: CO w/homemade base,...
Posted Sat Feb 3, 2007, 2:29pm

TimEggers Said:

I've always rinsed under the faucet and ran the grounds down the sink, and then let air-dry.  Once a week into the dishwasher (fully taken apart).

Simple as that.

Posted February 1, 2007 link

+1
First of all, long time no post!!  

Second... don't be afraid to get your hands dirty.  I just scoop that out of the glass with my hand and into the trash, then wipe the screen with the old hand, and then rinse everything off.  I put everything in the dishwasher (except the glass)~ every four days.  If no dishwasher, just hand wash every 4-7 days....and you're cool!  No reason to wash every day.
passionateone
passionateone

Espresso: Bezzera BZ02S
Grinder: macap M4 step/doserless,Old...
Vac Pot: cona D
Drip: chemex
Roaster: Gene
Posted Sat Feb 3, 2007, 9:57pm

"No reason to wash every day" ?!!  

Unless you want four to seven days worth of fines and rancid oils tainting your freshly ground coffee.  If I am enjoying multiple pots in one morning I'll use soap and a brush to clean the filter screen- between each pot.  The result in the cup is most definately worth the effort for every pot. I doubt YMMV.

Respectfully,

Robi
PowerCoffee
PowerCoffee
Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: Livin' on pre-grinds :(
Vac Pot: FP: Bodum Shin Bistro
Drip: Braun Aroma Delux
Posted Sun Feb 4, 2007, 9:21am

I am going to start washing my Bodum much better now. In the past I just rinsed it out with water (no soap) and unscrewed the filter and rinsed that clean and then put it back together to air dry. I will use soap from now on!
slofty

Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso
Vac Pot: Hario TCA-2
Drip: Hario V60, etc.
Posted Sun Feb 4, 2007, 10:37am

A few folks have suggested adding water to the spent grounds and pouring the mess out. If you don't feel like saving the slosh or trodding outside for a toss, simply strain the mixture through a mesh/metal basket filter of sorts into the sink. Tap the solids out in the rubbish, and you're ready for some hydroxide bliss.
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > French Press...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.293148994446)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+