Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Hand-cranked grinders (Zassenhaus) v. Machine grinders
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Hand-cranked...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
mkraft

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Bialetti Caffetiera stovetop...
Grinder: KitchenAid Pro Line...
Posted Mon Jan 15, 2007, 10:19pm
Subject: Hand-cranked grinders (Zassenhaus) v. Machine grinders

I see Zassenhaus mill grinders frequently recommended.  Do these lack anything that the machine burr grinders have or otherwise have any disadvantages other than having to crank them by hand?

If not, why pay so much more for the machines?
 View Profile Link to this post
BlueMoon

Espresso: None
Grinder: Baratza Virtuouso
Vac Pot: None
Drip: Hario v60, Chemex, Clever...
Roaster: UFO/CO
Posted Tue Jan 16, 2007, 8:23am
Subject: Re: Hand-cranked grinders (Zassenhaus) v. Machine grinders

I have had a hand mill for 8 months now and while I really like it, there are days that I wished I had a machine.  It can be a PitA to grind two pots' worth of coffee in an hour when you have a lot of guests.  If I were to get an electric mill, I would be paying for the convenience, but to get the electric mill I would want would cost more than double the cost of my $70 Peugeot mill.
kbuzbee
kbuzbee
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: La Pavoni Europiccola
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso Preciso
Vac Pot: Cona D
Drip: I don't drip
Posted Tue Jan 16, 2007, 11:15am

BlueMoon Said:

I have had a hand mill for 8 months now and while I really like it, there are days that I wished I had a machine.  It can be a PitA to grind two pots' worth of coffee in an hour when you have a lot of guests.  If I were to get an electric mill, I would be paying for the convenience, but to get the electric mill I would want would cost more than double the cost of my $70 Peugeot mill.

Posted January 16, 2007 link

I agree 100%. MOST of the time I actually enjoy the process of hand grinding ( I own 4 Zass grinders!) but there are those days, you're tired, you're short of time.... whatever - I wish I could turn one of them into a nice power unit for a day. The quality of the coffee I get from my Zass's is great. I can do powder for Turkish, fine for espresso, med-fine for Brikka/Moka and med-coarse for Cona Pot, all very well. An added benefit for me, the Zass's are pretty quiet. If the wife is still sleeping (too rare for her) I surely don't want to wake her just because I want a cup of coffee. So I can whole heartedly recommend a Zass (never tried the Peu but I hear they are good).

Ken
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
passionateone
passionateone

Espresso: Bezzera BZ02S
Grinder: macap M4 step/doserless,Old...
Vac Pot: cona D
Drip: chemex
Roaster: Gene
Posted Wed Jan 17, 2007, 12:44pm

I've got an old Zass.  It was a gift purchased on ebay.  I think it's so old it may be an antique.  It still grinds both quickly and quietly.  It can grind fine or course, but the end result is inconsistant.  It is a great mill for car camping and other times that I'm brewing a press pot.  I haven't had great luck with it for my vacuum pot.  I'm sure that the old thing is feeling it's age and the burrs are dull.  

I should emphasize that if you are grinding on the course side it only takes a little over a minute to grind a couple of ounces- including the time it takes to fill the hopper a second time.

Me thinks I'm ready for a new one.
derevaun
derevaun

Espresso: Shoes and wallet
Grinder: Hario Mini, Baratza Maestro
Vac Pot: Yama 5c
Drip: Clever, BCM4
Roaster: My neighbor's Diedrich
Posted Wed Jan 17, 2007, 2:45pm

Older grinders are liable to be dull and/or caked up, causing a lot of fines. It's nearly impossible to discern from most Ebay listings how much use a grinder has had. An electric grinder doesn't carry that risk, because the motor will fail long before the burrs are dull :-) But a hand grinder is great for quiet operation and does a good job if it's relatively young.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Hand-cranked...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Great Espresso at Home
Curated selection of the best machines from La Spaziale, Izzo, Quick Mill, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.263640880585)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+