Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Cuban Coffee in an Espresso Machine?!
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Cuban Coffee in...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
IMAWriter
IMAWriter
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600+, CO/UFO combo
Posted Fri Dec 29, 2006, 6:33pm
Subject: Re: Cuban Coffee in an Espresso Machine?!

Yirga Said:

I make it, kinda not too often -- mostly to get a flash-back to more kinder, gentler times spent in and around, Little Havana, in Miami.  I use a moka pot (the Brikka pot, I hear, is a slight improvement -- either kind is inexpensive moka = ~$20; Brikka, 4-cup = ~$50).  I just pour stove-top, "espresso" -- actually, just very strong coffee,  into demi tasse cups and use a fairly large ratio of sugar added and stirred-in with one of those very small spoons (check at: espressoparts.com  .)  But, my very favorite method is to place sugar for a moka pot full of coffee into a pre-heated ceramic pitcher, add just enough coffee to make a very thick paste, then stir the paste vigorously until it becomes thick and white, then slowly add the remainder of coffee while gently stirring -- a delicate froth should form in the pitcher, then pour into pre-heated (in simmering water in a stove top pot) demi tasse cups, and sip (experiment with coffee to sugar ratio, for your taste).

Posted December 24, 2006 link

The above is how I used to make it when I lived in Miami...I was born there...
This may be a silly question, but whay not just make LIKE YOUR MOM!!??
It's certainly cheaper...also...don't forget, using high grade Arabica coffee WON"T DO!
It must be cheap Cafe Bustelo Robusta!...or it won't have the kick, nor cut thru the asucar....

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
gerrym
gerrym

Posted Sat Dec 30, 2006, 10:07am

IMAWriter Said:

The above is how I used to make it when I lived in Miami...I was born there...
This may be a silly question, but whay not just make LIKE YOUR MOM!!??
It's certainly cheaper...also...don't forget, using high grade Arabica coffee WON"T DO!
It must be cheap Cafe Bustelo Robusta!...or it won't have the kick, nor cut thru the asucar....

Posted December 29, 2006 link

Ok, I'm actually going to see my mom today so I will take a camera and take some pictures of her espresso set-up.  I wouldn't even know where to begin to buy this, my mom says they don't make it anymore.  Stay tuned...
 View Profile Link to this post
gerrym
gerrym

Posted Sun Dec 31, 2006, 8:09am

Ok, here it is.  Sorry for the quality of the photo, I forgot my camera and had to use my cellphone.  At any rate, this is it, some metal frame thing that holds the cloth filter (top) and the metal pot on the bottom that the coffee gets boiled in.  My mom bought this whole set up many years ago in Miami and they don't even sell it anymore.  Basically the coffee gets boiled in the pot (with sugar), poured through the filter and into the coffee pot (in the back) and it serves maybe 8-10 shots of espresso.  And this is precisely the problem, it is tradition that after dinner everyone has coffee.  In one of the new machines (like my Krups 2070), it would take me 30 mins to make that much coffee and the first shots would be cold by the time I was done.

gerrym: Cuban_Espresso.jpg
(Click for larger image)
JohnF
JohnF
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Carezza (in the nude) :)
Grinder: Rocky
Vac Pot: Yama on the way....
Drip: Pour over and presses...
Roaster: 2# Buzz Roaster & SC/TO
Posted Sun Dec 31, 2006, 2:30pm

gerrym Said:

And this is precisely the problem, it is tradition that after dinner everyone has coffee.  In one of the new machines (like my Krups 2070), it would take me 30 mins to make that much coffee and the first shots would be cold by the time I was done.

Posted December 31, 2006 link

Even if you go to a HX machine and can pull all the shots super fast the taste is not going to be the same. I think IMAWriter is onto something.

She is literally boiling the coffee and sugar......

I'm gonna tell you what I would do:

I'd use modern equipment to duplicate her set up. I'd drag it all over to her house and follow along, get her to use it, whatever it takes to learn her recipe because you like it so much.

You can always get a HX machine and make your own version but this thread is making me what to try your Mom's coffee....learn how to make it her way is my advice.

Use "whatever" to boil in and a Mellita style cone/filter to pour over into a thermal carafe or something. Or a Chemex brewer with some other filter....

John F

"coffee is bag to me. It always follow me like bag. I do love coffee. Its taste & aroma make me sweet~ . I happy happy day with coffee"
ruy
ruy

Espresso: ECM Giotto
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky
Posted Tue Jan 2, 2007, 5:23pm

hola

i'm sure nothing will beat your mom's cofee but here's how i used to prepare cuban coffee with a crappy krups espresso machine when i was a studio assistant in miami, it got praises from celia cruz herself!

first i would fill the portafilter with cafe bustelo and tamp lightly. i would have a stainless steel pitcher with enough sugar in it and another pitcher empty, ready for the coffee. if you dont have pitchers, glass cups will do. then i would put the pitcher with sugar underneath the spout and only let the first few drops of coffee fall into it before switching with the empty pitcher and letting it run americano style. i would beat the coffe stained sugar together with a spoon until it formed a soft beige foam, then pour the hot coffee from the other pitcher into it and voila. sweet, energetic cafe cubano.

hope this helps...
CraigA
CraigA

Espresso: PID/PressureMod 2001...
Grinder: BUNN FPG-2 DBC, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos manual, Yama 5...
Drip: Behmor BraZen, BUNN VPR-APS,...
Roaster: Refurb Behmor 1600, BBQ...
Posted Tue Jan 2, 2007, 6:08pm

Here's the coffee sock filter I have. {:-)

CraigA: pict0227.jpg
(Click for larger image)

http://twitter.com/CoffeegeekCraig
http://www.facebook.com/craig.andrews.169
http://plus.google.com/u/0/100690035958728038289/posts/p/pub

Excellent coffee doesn't just happen!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
CraigA
CraigA

Espresso: PID/PressureMod 2001...
Grinder: BUNN FPG-2 DBC, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos manual, Yama 5...
Drip: Behmor BraZen, BUNN VPR-APS,...
Roaster: Refurb Behmor 1600, BBQ...
Posted Tue Jan 2, 2007, 6:09pm

Another view.

CraigA: pict0228.jpg
(Click for larger image)

http://twitter.com/CoffeegeekCraig
http://www.facebook.com/craig.andrews.169
http://plus.google.com/u/0/100690035958728038289/posts/p/pub

Excellent coffee doesn't just happen!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
Lifestar
Lifestar

Espresso: Grimac Mia
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Rocky, KAP
Drip: FP, TV, Aerobie
Roaster: HotTop P, I-Roast2
Posted Wed Jan 3, 2007, 12:06pm

Looking at that device I would think that you might be able to boil your coffee, sugar, and water in something like a turkish pot and then pour the mix into a pour over filter into a pot.

Robert Kolm
Howell, MI
scubadoo97
scubadoo97

Espresso: Solis SL70
Grinder: Mazzer Mini & Solis Maestro...
Vac Pot: got one of those too
Drip: Aeropress, Clarity, FP,...
Roaster: SC/TO
Posted Sat Jan 13, 2007, 2:22pm

A colador de tela

Colador de tela

Is very cheap and I've used it as well as a moka pot and my espresso machine to make Cuban coffee or specifically Cafe con leche.  True you will not get "that taste" unless you use something like Bustelo or other Cuban style coffee.  I have made Cuban coffee with real Serrano and Turquino and I like it better than the packaged coffees but that is a matter of taste.  All methods work well.   At the walk ups in Miami they use espresso machines and add lots sugar to the milk before steaming.  They don't produce much foam as you would in a latte. I've done this at home and can reproduce it very well.  When lazy I have used the moka and steamed with my espresso machine.  The moka is the method used most in Cuban as well as Italian homes.  The colador de tela was my first method of making cafe con leche and it does a fine job.  Since you grew up with this method why not do it that way.  It doesn't get any easier than that.
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Cuban Coffee in...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Great Espresso at Home
Curated selection of the best machines from La Spaziale, Izzo, Quick Mill, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.385667085648)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+