Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Moka pot or Aeropress?
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Moka pot or...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 3 first page previous page
Author Messages
reptilegrrl

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Fri Jan 12, 2007, 1:34pm
Subject: Re: Moka pot or Aeropress?

Enkerli Said:

w00t! ;-)
So? Did you do a couple sacrificial brews? Are you getting nice aromas coming out of the pot already?
One thing that has been noticed with some Brikkas recently is that the valve may be letting off steam. I never had that problem but a friend of mine has it. His Brikka is newer than mine and the valve is much smaller than on mine...

Posted January 11, 2007 link

Actually, i fell asleep with my laptop on my lap shortly after making that post!  I had a Very Long Day at my new job.  So no coffee was made.. I'll be making my sacrificial brews here in a few minutes, I think.  I saved some stale coffee for the occasion.

But I do have a concern- my Brikka came in a box, and inside the box was a bag, and inside the bag was the Brikka.  But, the bag was open.  Did I get someone's return?
 View Profile Link to this post
Enkerli
Enkerli
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: (At cafés, not at home)
Grinder: Hario hand grinders
Vac Pot: (Moka Pot) Bialetti Brikka
Drip: Steep and release pour-over
Roaster: iRoast-2
Posted Fri Jan 12, 2007, 3:17pm

As Ken answered in the other thread, it's most likely a packaging glitch. Did you order it directly from Bialetti?
At any rate, you would surely notice it if the pot had been used. In fact, if it has been used, it's pre-seasoned! ;-)

Alex
http://enkerli.com/
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Link to this post
JavaJones
JavaJones

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia avec PID
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky Doserless
Drip: Bunn BTX-B, Bodum French...
Roaster: Behmor 1600, Freshroast Plus...
Posted Tue Jan 16, 2007, 7:49am

I purchased a Bialetti Moka Express last week at the local Home Outfitters (a 3 cup model) and the bag which contained the unit itself was open a little on one of the seams. It certainly wasn't large enough to get the Moka pot out through. I think sometimes the bags just don't stay sealed as the previous poster stated.

I ran three sacrificial brews through mine and then had what was likely one of the best cups of coffee in my life. Which begs the question, why didn't I buy one of these things sooner? :)

My only quibble with the 3 cup version is that it sits somewhat awkwardly on the stove. The stove is gas and has one of those large, open sort of grill patterns on it. I may get a 6 cup model anyway for when I have people over; it should sit better on the stove grate.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Enkerli
Enkerli

Espresso: (At cafés, not at home)
Grinder: Hario hand grinders
Vac Pot: (Moka Pot) Bialetti Brikka
Drip: Steep and release pour-over
Roaster: iRoast-2
Posted Wed Jan 17, 2007, 5:28pm

JavaJones Said:

Which begs the question, why didn't I buy one of these things sooner? :)

Posted January 16, 2007 link

Because you were told it produces inferior coffee? That's the answer I heard from several people. Probably because they used it on too high a heat or some such.

My only quibble with the 3 cup version is that it sits somewhat awkwardly on the stove.

Could you use a heat dispersion "screen" or some such? I routinely use one on my electric stove while cooking. Got it at a dollar store.

Alex
http://enkerli.com/
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Link to this post
showing page 3 of 3 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Moka pot or...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.253391981125)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+