Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Moka pot or Aeropress?
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Moka pot or...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
Author Messages
reptilegrrl

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Thu Dec 28, 2006, 12:17am
Subject: Moka pot or Aeropress?

Which makes the most espresso-like brew?

I have an Aeropress but am not having much success with it.  I'm considering trading it in for a moka pot or Brikka.  Thoughts?  Suggestions?  What I want is to get as close as possible to the flavor of espresso.
 View Profile Link to this post
kramerica

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Evolution
Grinder: Nemox LUX Plus
Vac Pot: Brikka
Posted Thu Dec 28, 2006, 9:12am
Subject: Re: Moka pot or Aeropress?

If you are looking for an espresso-like feeling, brikka is the right way to go. IMO it is closer in taste to espresso than to a regular moka pot. In fact, it will be better in taste and closer to "true espresso" than most sub 200$ home espresso machines. from what i've seen around here the Aeropress is similar to moka pot in taste, and moka isn't espresso at all. The brikka on the other hand extracts more flavors and even has crema (or "crema-like emulsion" as some people insist).

www.sandak.org
reptilegrrl

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Thu Dec 28, 2006, 2:20pm

Any suggestions as to where to buy a 2-cup brikka?  I keep reading that the 2-cup is better.  If I can't get a 2-cup Brikka I'll have to go with a wee moka pot.
kramerica

Posted Thu Dec 28, 2006, 2:55pm

If you live in the US I think you're gonna have to order it from italy. many people have done it and its totally safe.
About the 4 cup brikka. I'm using both 2-cup and 4-cup. in terms of taste they're exactly the same, in terms of crema, you do get a bit less crema per cup in the 4-cup brikka. If it's 4-cup brikka vs regular moka pot and you want espresso-like coffee, the brikka wins hands down.

www.sandak.org
kahvedelisi
kahvedelisi

Espresso: Rancilio Epoca ST1
Grinder: LaCimbali Jr, Rancilio MD...
Vac Pot: Hario MCA-3
Drip: filter cone, Aeropress,...
Roaster: Air Popcorn Popper
Posted Thu Dec 28, 2006, 3:06pm

I have both Aeropress and moka pot and I vote for moka pot :) Actually don't have a brikka but I want one like crazy! lol! Don't know if it will help to compare but I have 6 cup and 1 cup sized aluminium moka pots and a 3 cup sized stainless steel one. Among 3 of them I can say 1 cup size gives the best result. Even though it's not close to brikka's wannabe crema, one cup sized old school moka pot can produce some foam (much like french press bloom). And coffee tastes better than 3 and 6 cup ones. So my advice would be (if you can't get a brikka) buy the smallest sized moka pot you find. Also it's easier to clean compared to bigger ones ;)

It's a bird, it's a plane, it's a CoffeeGeek!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Enkerli
Enkerli
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: (At cafés, not at home)
Grinder: Hario hand grinders
Vac Pot: (Moka Pot) Bialetti Brikka
Drip: Steep and release pour-over
Roaster: iRoast-2
Posted Thu Dec 28, 2006, 4:27pm
Subject: Brikka (was: Moka pot or Aeropress?)

Haven't tried the AeroPress yet but it comes up on occasion in our moka/Brikka thread. It does seem like the Brikka is the closest equivalent to espresso. Though, I insist (so people don't get the wrong impression), Brikka and espresso are quite different from one another. Yaron feels that Brikka is closer to espresso than to moka pot coffee. Some people might be a bit disappointed if they expect espresso from a Brikka. On the other hand, you might be very pleasantly surprised by what a Brikka can produce if you try it with an open mind.
As for where to buy a Brikka, check out the Brikka Lovers forum. IIRC, they list importers. Mine was bought at a local coffee supply store (in Montreal).

You might still want to try out some non-Brikka moka pot. As Ruya implies, there are differences in taste between the different size pots. But with a bit of experimentation, you can get really interesting coffee from any of them.

From the sound of it, the AeroPress can range from something like a vacuum brew and a good French Press. To my palate, all of these are very pleasurable but quite different from espresso or strong moka pot coffee.

Cheers!

Alex
http://enkerli.com/
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Link to this post
richedie

Posted Thu Dec 28, 2006, 7:02pm

My favorites at home..

Gaggia Coffee espresso machine
Brikka
Moka pots
Aeropress

French Press
Manual drip
kramerica

Posted Fri Dec 29, 2006, 4:13am
Subject: Re: Brikka (was: Moka pot or Aeropress?)

Enkerli Said:

Haven't tried the AeroPress yet but it comes up on occasion in our moka/Brikka thread. It does seem like the Brikka is the closest equivalent to espresso. Though, I insist (so people don't get the wrong impression), Brikka and espresso are quite different from one another. Yaron feels that Brikka is closer to espresso than to moka pot coffee. Some people might be a bit disappointed if they expect espresso from a Brikka.

Posted December 28, 2006 link

Just to be clear, I'm not saying brikka is espresso. it's absolutely not espresso by definition nor by taste. I do feel that brikka gives the closest result to espresso compared to all other brewing methods i've tried. In those methods i do include cheap home espresso machines.

www.sandak.org
Enkerli
Enkerli

Espresso: (At cafés, not at home)
Grinder: Hario hand grinders
Vac Pot: (Moka Pot) Bialetti Brikka
Drip: Steep and release pour-over
Roaster: iRoast-2
Posted Fri Dec 29, 2006, 8:37am
Subject: Re: Brikka (was: Moka pot or Aeropress?)

kramerica Said:

Just to be clear, I'm not saying brikka is espresso. it's absolutely not espresso by definition nor by taste. I do feel that brikka gives the closest result to espresso compared to all other brewing methods i've tried. In those methods i do include cheap home espresso machines.

Posted December 29, 2006 link

Sure thing. And coffee, some coffee made in somewhat expensive home espresso machines can be less like espresso than Brikka coffee can. A good barista can pull a decent shot from an inferior machine but someone who carelessly operates a high-end espresso machine can produce inferior results. With the Brikka, there's a lot more leeway.
From what people say about the AeroPress, it seems that you get even more leeway, as it's difficult to brew a bad cup in it. It can be as strong in flavour as espresso, and quite satisfying to an espresso drinker. But the AeroPress cup is still more different from espresso than Brikka can be.
Someone should really do a blind test or three-way comparison with all of these, using the same coffee blend.

Alex
http://enkerli.com/
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Link to this post
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vintage La Pavoni Lever...
Grinder: Breville Smartgrind,...
Vac Pot: Vintage Silex, Nicro...
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: javaPRO-CRC AIR Fluid Bed...
Posted Fri Dec 29, 2006, 11:14am

reptilegrrl Said:

Which makes the most espresso-like brew?

I have an Aeropress but am not having much success with it.  I'm considering trading it in for a moka pot or Brikka.  Thoughts?  Suggestions?  What I want is to get as close as possible to the flavor of espresso.

Posted December 28, 2006 link

Hello.  I have both the Aeropress and an Italia Moka Pot.  To me both produce almost identical results, and neither can be considered anywhere near a true espresso IMHO.

I have no experience with the Brikka ... it is a claim of theirs that they produce a result quite similar to espresso, however.

Len
CoffeeRoastersClub.com

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

Bitcoin Merchant www.CoffeeRoastersClub.com     www.javaPRO-CRC.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Moka pot or...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Great Espresso at Home
Curated selection of the best machines from La Spaziale, Izzo, Quick Mill, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.298909187317)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+