Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Removed KitchenAid Proline Grinder Finger Guard with Hack Saw (pics inside)
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Removed...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
alsterling
alsterling
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: La Spaziale S1 (Had Expo)
Grinder: Macap M4 & Gaggia MDF
Vac Pot: Not yet...
Drip: Capresso MT-500 & Melitta...
Roaster: Hottop Digital
Posted Sun Oct 15, 2006, 6:40pm
Subject: Re: Removed KitchenAid Proline Grinder Finger Guard with Hack Saw (pics inside)

James.........don't egg him on! This time it was a hacksaw.........next time........well, it could involve explosives! (smile)

I've got to hand it to him though. I just neatly unscrewed stuff on my Macap. The most brutal I got was to "yank" the plastic guard out of the bean hopper. You know, there's something unique and serious about those first few forward and backward motions on the hacksaw that say........"There's no turning back. I've made my decision on modifying this grinder, and I have no thoughts of ever, ever, ever returning it!!!) If you're planning the same, my best wishes go with you.

Best, Al

Member No.12047 - SCAA
http://www.baristaexchange.com/profile/AlSterling
Warning: Close cover before striking
"Space Available Here for Something Really Prolific"
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
hikerman
hikerman
Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: KA Pro Line, Zassenhaus,...
Vac Pot: Silex wide mouth 4cup
Drip: BUNN Phase Brew, Bonjour...
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Sun Oct 15, 2006, 7:50pm
Subject: Re: Removed KitchenAid Proline Grinder Finger Guard with Hack Saw (pics inside)

I don't know, Al. I'd have to think long and hard before I took a hack saw to my Pro Line. But that problem with the beans hanging up can be frustrating. ;-)
 View Profile Link to this post
Stumpknocker

Grinder: Kitchen Aid
Drip: Technivorm
Roaster: Gene Cafe
Posted Mon Oct 16, 2006, 4:12pm

You da man!  I do have to run my finger around the bottom to clear a few  beans but I never thought about a hack saw.  This is great!   Take that Kitchenaid!!!!
Dajad
Dajad

Espresso: aeropress
Grinder: kitchenaid proline
Drip: capresso MT500
Posted Fri Oct 20, 2006, 7:35pm

hikerman Said:

Whoa! And I thought I was just destined to shake my Pro Line for the rest of eternity. How about the beans laying on the rim at the bottom of the top bowl? Did you come up with a solution to that too?

Thanks, James

Posted October 15, 2006 link

After a few weeks, the beans on the rim isn't an issue. Remember, I sanded the rim a bit to make it smooth.  If I had a mettle file I might have filed it a bit smother, but it really makes no difference.  On average only a bean or maybe two sticks there now (compared to dozens and dozens with the finger guard).  I don't usually care but if i happen to notice a last clinging bean, I just give the ProLine a smack upside the head and down it goes to its augery death! :)

It really was easy to do. Setting up and taking the pictures took the most time.  The entire process can be done in about 10 minutes.  And it was well worth it.

...Dale

www.daleisphere.com
rasqual
rasqual

Espresso: *$ Barista, non-pressurized
Grinder: SMP
Vac Pot: Yama, Aeropress
Drip: Porcelain Melitta 103, Hario
Roaster: "ring roaster", mod popper
Posted Thu Oct 26, 2006, 8:42pm
Subject: Argh! Just got my KitchenAid Proline -- Dang!

Good grief. How many ways can they screw up a design?

My SMP has less retention.   :-/

For one thing, who designed the ring with the two trapezoidal tabs on it? Why on earth would they make the leading edge of those things angled?! All it does is shove the grind against the rear of the burr chamber, where it adheres and leaves about a gram of grind -- to be sloughed off during the next grind. First step: I'll be milling the side of each of those tabs that rotates in advance -- flat. Then I'm going to drill a hole perpendicular to the new surface, tap it, and screw a piece of polyester felt -- or maybe thin nylon sheet -- to the tab to make up the difference both in circumfrence and toward the back, so the grind is better scraped out of there.

The auger area also collects grind. Geez. And when I took it a part, an entire bean was jammed into the front burr section, between the machined teeth and the axle (up against the very front of the casting). Argh!

:-\

Presently, I'm not all too pleased with this purchase.

I understand the newest version of this grinder has improvements. Since I have a freshly rebuilt one, I wonder if it's incorporating those improvements, or whether it's still an old-school design. Does anyone have any photos of the important improvements on this grinder's newest incarnation -- especially anything bearing on grind retention?

I'm going to spend so much time modding this danged thing, now . . .

Geez.

OK, here's what I did. Just now. While editing this. Thanks, Alan Adler, for the great funnel. I don't need a big tank on top of this grinder, since I only do one origin at a time, in amounts for one or two cups at a time. This will be perfect.

rasqual: KAP_mod_1.jpg
(Click for larger image)
EdwardAlt
EdwardAlt

Espresso: Pavoni Pro (pre-millenium)
Grinder: Rossi RR45, KitchenAid...
Drip: Capresso cone filter,...
Roaster: RK Drum / CharBroil gas...
Posted Fri Oct 27, 2006, 3:56am
Subject: Re: Argh! Just got my KitchenAid Proline -- Dang!

OK Scott, now you've got my curiosity up.  Where'd you get that black plastic funnel thingee, and did you mod the grinder itself to hook it up?  details, please ...

... starting to think about what I can do to mine .... mmwwuuaaaahaaahaaa!!!
Jules_Gobeil

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky doserless
Roaster: Behmor, iRoast2
Posted Fri Oct 27, 2006, 4:10am

The Proline seems like a good example of a design made to protect the manufacturer from being sued in court.  They are probably afraid that people stick a finger inside to dislodge beans.  A finger tip grinded fine for espresso may cost a lot in court...  Remember the woman who tried to dry her cat in a microwave oven !

My Rocky is plagued with the same problem.  However, the finger guard design is more intelligent and it is possible to remove it easily.  If I do, it becomes my problem.

On the lighter side... I heard that Coca-Cola is planning to write this warning on the bottom of glass Coke bottles to protect customers: "Please open at the other end".

www.julesgobeil.com
CoffeeToolsAppJon
CoffeeToolsAppJon
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Strada@work, BDB@home
Grinder: Robur, kony, touch, etc
Drip: v60, wave
Roaster: heart, coava, phil &...
Posted Fri Oct 27, 2006, 5:26am

why didnt you just remove the screws from below?

i know that the finger guard also holds the threads for the upper hopppr the screw into. i held them in with some tape.

another solution i used before i removed the screws was to put a "lance armstrong" rubber band bracelet around the out side of the finger guard to take up the space where the beans hang up.

now we need some sharper burrs.

=
Los Angeles, CA
http://www.coffeeToolsApp.com
rasqual
rasqual

Posted Fri Oct 27, 2006, 5:51am

EdwardAlt Said:

OK Scott, now you've got my curiosity up.  Where'd you get that black plastic funnel thingee, and did you mod the grinder itself to hook it up?  details, please ...

... starting to think about what I can do to mine .... mmwwuuaaaahaaahaaa!!!

Posted October 27, 2006 link

I removed the guard from below, which left me with no way to secure the hopper screw-on ring. As for the funnel, it's an Aeropress funnel (thus the allusion to Alan). I hacksawed its vertical tubular portion, then cut a couple angles to fit the odd contours. The picture I posted above showed foam around the funnel, holding it in place. That works -- but as of this morning I removed that, replaced the ring that normally holds the hopper (it just sits there), and frankly the funnel just sits on top in place perfectly. So the ring and the funnel are held in place only by gravity -- and it works great.

Looks OK too, actually.

You should see what I did below the burrs to catch grind in a smaller cup more suited to my use of this grinder.  ;-)

rasqual: funnelmod.jpg
(Click for larger image)
rasqual
rasqual

Posted Fri Oct 27, 2006, 7:05am

The attached picture shows a couple of the problems. I just did another grind -- and another stuck bean! Argh.

It's not a feature that the burrs disassemble so easily. It's a concession to the dramatic need to take this thing apart every time you grind if you want to purge the retained grind! At least with an SMP, you're guaranteed that the retained grind comes out, for the most part, in advance of the new grind. With this thing, that's partly true but there'd be more of a gradual mixing of old grind with new -- making purging impossible. You simply have to take the darned thing apart. Aaargh!

Note the stuck bean. In that same picture, the rotation is from right to left, and notice the wiper tab that's designed to move the grind from around the burr area. But notice that it's angled on both sides -- trapezoidal. The darned thing ought to be flat -- or even slightly scooped -- on the left-hand side. Why? Well look to the right. The grind around the back of the chamber -- rising up the right-hand side -- is what's carried upwards by these tabs and pushed against the back of the chamber by the angle of these tabs. Aaaargh! What where they thinking?

Aside from the static problem I'm having using the unit with a small cup I've mounted creatively to the unit's receiving end, this retention is ridiculous. This grinder is NOT a good candidate if what you want is to cycle through various single origins.

Not happy. Not happy at all.

Anyone around Chicago want one? $120. And no, I won't put it back together for you.   ;-)

rasqual: retention.jpg
(Click for larger image)
showing page 2 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Removed...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.32843708992)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+