Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Removed KitchenAid Proline Grinder Finger Guard with Hack Saw (pics inside)
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Removed...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 4 last page next page
Author Messages
Dajad
Dajad
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: aeropress
Grinder: kitchenaid proline
Drip: capresso MT500
Posted Tue Sep 26, 2006, 8:28am
Subject: Removed KitchenAid Proline Grinder Finger Guard with Hack Saw (pics inside)

After several months of frustration I finally took a hacksaw to the fingerguard on my KA-Proline Grinder.  I will attach several pictures below.

I did this because many coffee beans were sticking/being blocked by the finger guard in the grinder. I usually make just one cup of coffee at a time so I put relatively few beans in per grind. I use dark roast beans which, as Mark informs, are oily and stick more than others. I was frustrated by the fact that I had to shake the grinder every time I ground my beans

As you can see, I took a hack saw to it.  

- I first removed the burr and internal workings to keep filings from getting in.
- I cut off the finger guard flush with the black plastic ring around the outside
- I sanded the edges to remove the resultant sharp outer edges (to stop beans from sticking)
- I thoroughly cleaned the hopper and ran several rounds of beans through to clean out any mettle shavings.

The result works pretty well. A bean or three still gets caught on the top ridge, but far fewer than before.  Ideally, I would remove the reamining mettle part of the finger guard. But I could not find a way to remove it without breaking anything.

The first "before" picture below was "borrowed" from  Marks Prince's review of the grinder here.

Dajad: KitchenAid_proline_fingerguard_Before.jpg
(Click for larger image)

www.daleisphere.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Dajad
Dajad

Posted Tue Sep 26, 2006, 8:49am
Subject: Removed the Finger Guard on the KitchenAid Proline Grinder with a Hack Saw Pt 2

Here's a picture of my general setup as I started to remove the finger guard (That's a Capresso MT500 in the background as well as an Aerobe Press).

Dajad: KitchenAid_proline_fingerguard_Removal_Setup.jpg
(Click for larger image)

www.daleisphere.com
Dajad
Dajad

Posted Tue Sep 26, 2006, 11:19am
Subject: Removed the Finger Guard on the KitchenAid Proline Grinder with a Hack Saw Pt 3

Here's a close-up of cutting through.

Dajad: KitchenAid_proline_fingerguard_Removal_Half-way-through.jpg
(Click for larger image)

www.daleisphere.com
Dajad
Dajad

Posted Tue Sep 26, 2006, 11:21am
Subject: Removed the Finger Guard on the KitchenAid Proline Grinder with a Hack Saw Pt 4

Lots of cleanup needed:

Dajad: KitchenAid_proline_fingerguard_Removal_Lots_of_cleanup_needed.jpg
(Click for larger image)

www.daleisphere.com
Dajad
Dajad

Posted Tue Sep 26, 2006, 11:23am
Subject: Removed the Finger Guard on the KitchenAid Proline Grinder with a Hack Saw Pt 5

Cleaned-up and Reassembled. Notice the nice unobstructed path to the auger.

Dajad: KitchenAid_proline_fingerguard_Removal_Cleaned_Up.jpg
(Click for larger image)

www.daleisphere.com
Dajad
Dajad

Posted Tue Sep 26, 2006, 11:28am
Subject: Removed the Finger Guard on the KitchenAid Proline Grinder with a Hack Saw Pt 6

An inside view of the result:

Dajad: KitchenAid_proline_fingerguard_After-Inside.jpg
(Click for larger image)

www.daleisphere.com
Dajad
Dajad

Posted Tue Sep 26, 2006, 11:38am
Subject: Removed the Finger Guard on the KitchenAid Proline Grinder with a Hack Saw Pt 7

And an outside view of the final result.

Dajad: KitchenAid_proline_fingerguard_After-Outside.jpg
(Click for larger image)

www.daleisphere.com
Yirga

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Tue Sep 26, 2006, 12:53pm
Subject: Re: Removed the Finger Guard on the KitchenAid Proline Grinder with a Hack Saw P

Dajad Said:

And an outside view of the final result.

Posted September 26, 2006 link

Good show!  What an improvement!  That'll show 'em!  Don't mess with coffeegeeks!  With few exceptions, coffee stuff just ain't made for the serious coffee hobbyist!  Hacksaw to the rescue!
 View Profile Link to this post
alsterling
alsterling
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: La Spaziale S1 (Had Expo)
Grinder: Macap M4 & Gaggia MDF
Vac Pot: Not yet...
Drip: Capresso MT-500 & Melitta...
Roaster: Hottop Digital
Posted Wed Sep 27, 2006, 4:38pm
Subject: Re: Removed KitchenAid Proline Grinder Finger Guard with Hack Saw (pics inside)

Just passing by, but as I read your post, which included the grinder and HACKSAW......... I started chuckling.

I don't know if you can relate, but I had visions of a guy that was pushed totally over the edge by THE MAN........ or in this case Kitchen Aid (sold to Whirlpool or such?) So then I'm envisioning this guy saying......."Fine, you won't listen to my complaints..........fine, I'll show you!"

Next thing I see in your post is a "step by step" attack on your innocent grinder, accompanied by a hacksaw! I don't know if you watch South Park up your way, but there's a recurring scene in every episode where, after an apparent death occurs to one of the kids............. his friend's scream out.... "Hey, they killed Kenny!!!".........followed by....... "You Bastard!"

Well, for some dark humor reason, it was like watching Kenny get his again! As for the real world of finger guards, I "performed a full removal procedure" on my Macap M4, where I too removed the screens and finger guards. Gosh........ after I was done, well, I just felt relieved. Those finger guards also remind me of that routine on Saturday Night Live, where Billy Crystal used to ask that obvious question.......... "don't you just hate it when you...... stick your finger in the coffee grinder and then turn on the switch???! Geeze that hurts, doesn't it ??!

Oh well, a moment of dark humor at the expense of our grinders............. Al

Member No.12047 - SCAA
http://www.baristaexchange.com/profile/AlSterling
Warning: Close cover before striking
"Space Available Here for Something Really Prolific"
hikerman
hikerman

Grinder: KA Pro Line, Zassenhaus,...
Vac Pot: Silex wide mouth 4cup
Drip: BUNN Phase Brew, Bonjour...
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Sun Oct 15, 2006, 4:07pm
Subject: Re: Removed KitchenAid Proline Grinder Finger Guard with Hack Saw (pics inside)

Whoa! And I thought I was just destined to shake my Pro Line for the rest of eternity. How about the beans laying on the rim at the bottom of the top bowl? Did you come up with a solution to that too?

Thanks, James
 View Profile Link to this post
showing page 1 of 4 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Removed...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.360834121704)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+