Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Confessions of a Brikka Lover
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Confessions of a...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 165 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
Enkerli
Enkerli
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: (At cafés, not at home)
Grinder: Hario hand grinders
Vac Pot: (Moka Pot) Bialetti Brikka
Drip: Steep and release pour-over
Roaster: iRoast-2
Posted Mon May 22, 2006, 10:38am
Subject: Brikka Blog!

Fellow BL Daigo Tanaka has created a blog on the pleasures of Brikka coffee.

Alex
http://enkerli.com/
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Link to this post
Gate

Espresso: La Pavoni Romantica EPG-8
Grinder: Mazzer Super Jolly
Vac Pot: various
Drip: too many to recall
Roaster: Four FreshRoast+8's
Posted Tue May 23, 2006, 1:04pm
Subject: Re: Confessions of a Brikka Lover

I've got to quit reading this stuff! I got involved in Turkish coffee (you're one of the main ones to get me going, Ken), which I enjoy a lot now, and it looks like I'll be trying to find a Brikka. But this discussion between the two of you is more interesting than most of the books I've read lately.

Gatewood
 View Profile Link to this post
Enkerli
Enkerli

Posted Tue May 23, 2006, 1:21pm
Subject: Getting Involved

And you might be surprised to learned that this conversation even generated a larger amount of primate emails! ;-)

Well, it'd be nice to have more people in the discussion. As it turns out, that blog on Brikka pots already has a few members.
Thing is, with the Brikka, that you don't really need to commit. Achieving decent coffee with a moka pot is much easier than with the "Turkish" methods or with an espresso machine. Plus, a Brikka pot is relatively inexpensive and not that hard to find.

Alex
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Link to this post
Gate

Posted Tue May 23, 2006, 2:39pm
Subject: Re: Getting Involved

Well, I'm looking! By the way, I'm beginning to think coffee and music are related. Way back in the 60's, I majored in music at IU. And that was when I bought my first espresso pot. The terrible little stove-top aluminum ones. That's really what has kept me away from the Brikka until I read these posts. That was some awful coffee! But I drank it, and thought I loved it. Still have the pot, to remind me of my "salad days."
Enkerli
Enkerli

Posted Tue May 23, 2006, 3:04pm
Subject: Coffee and Music

So... Did you use to go to Runcible Spoon on Kirkwood or to Bear's on 3rd Street? ;-)
Soma opened during my first year in Bloomington, back in 1998-1999. We, ethnomusicologists, were on the other side of campus from the music village, erm, school.
Intelligentsia's Matt Riddle worked at some coffee shops in B-town before becoming such a big coffee star.

Here are some of my own (awkward) reflections on coffee, music, and beer:
Click Here (enkerli.wordpress.com)

No idea why your moka pot produced terrible coffee. Care to elaborate on the taste? Some people perceive a metallic off-flavour from moka pot coffee that has been brewed at too high a temperature, IMHO. Of course, you also need fresh quality beans to produce decent coffee on any moka pot.

Alex
Gate

Posted Tue May 23, 2006, 8:25pm
Subject: Re: Coffee and Music

Those places weren't there in the early 60's! I'm old, you know! Spent much of my time in The Dandale (later changed to The Stardust) and Nick's Old English Pub. I think Nick's is still there. Great place. Loved drinking beer there and listening to Brubeck. And that was when Brubeck was new! Ah, nostalgia! I don't remember Bear's, but I lived on 3rd street, in an awful apartment.

As for my moka pot, I didn't think it was so bad at the time, but if I remember correctly, it did have a metallic taste. I'm sure I did everything wrong, but I was giving it all I had, anyhow. I don't think it's worth resurrecting, do you? I do still have it. There was some little coffee shop I remember across the street from Nick's but don't remember the name. That's where I got my first taste of espresso.

Thanks for the url! I'll enjoy reading your reflections. I've never tried to associate coffee and music, but I've often thought espresso was like haiku poetry. I'll ponder the music connection. For sure, I do need to practice with my La Pavoni as much as I did on the piano!

And a Brikka looms large in my future.
Enkerli
Enkerli

Posted Tue May 23, 2006, 9:37pm
Subject: Bloomington

Gate Said:

Those places weren't there in the early 60's!

Posted May 23, 2006 link

'Figures.

The Dandale (later changed to The Stardust)

Wasn't that the one Boilès had? That might have been in the 70's, though.

Nick's Old English Pub. I think Nick's is still there. Great place.

Yup, still there.

I don't remember Bear's, but I lived on 3rd street, in an awful apartment.

Right on the other side of the street from the music school. It's actually where all the students in music hang out. They have a small coffee counter which belongs to Runcible Spoon.
Runcible Spoon is a café/roaster/restaurant off Kirkwood, by the Monroe County Library. It was already a venerable institution by the time Soma opened. Their espresso wasn't as good as Soma's. A Starbucks opened right by campus, in one space that used to be a great bar. Bricks were thrown in the windows at the time but *$ is still there.
One place which is relatively surprising in terms of coffee is Bloomington Bagel Co. (several locations, including one close to the library). They don't do the kind of espresso people might be looking for but their coffee in general is decent.

As for my moka pot, I didn't think it was so bad at the time, but if I remember correctly, it did have a metallic taste.

'Figures. It really doesn't need to be that way. But a lot of people probably think that metal is part of a moka pot's taste profile...

As for resurrecting it, it's probably not worth it as regular moka pots are quite inexpensive and would require less maintenance (heavy cleaning, gasket changing...).

I do need to practice with my La Pavoni as much as I did on the piano!

Ah, the art of espresso making! A good machine like that has a lot of room for experimentation. Ken and you do have a lot in common. Which means that you should also start roasting! ;-)

If you do end up getting a Brikka, my advice would be to do a few runs with water only and use the pot in the morning, before espresso.

By the way, where in South Carolina do you live? With my family, we used to spend vacations on Hunting Island, which truly was a wondeful place.

Alex
Gate

Posted Wed May 24, 2006, 5:41am
Subject: Re: Bloomington

I think Bear's must be what used to be the Chatterbox Cafe, where we hung out when I was a music student. It was kind of attached to a music store, where we bought all our music. Now, that's the old music building. The VERY old music building. Don't know if it's still there. The big round building was new when I was there. I can't think of anything else on third street.

I live in Rock Hill, SC. Sorry, not near Hunting Island. I'm in a ho-hum town, but only about 25 miles from Charlotte, so there's lots to do and we can fight boredom by going to Charlotte. The beach isn't that far away, nor are the mountains.

And, yes, Ken and I do have a lot in common, it seems. And I do roast! I couldn't do otherwise! So, the Brikka I wind up with will have the advantage of fresh beans.
Enkerli
Enkerli

Posted Wed May 24, 2006, 6:02am
Subject: Roasting for Brikka

So you do roast! Nice!
Which method do you use?
As we probably said in this thread, the Brikka (and other moka pots) may be less sensitive to insufficiently degassed beans. It's been my experience that freshly-roasted beans take less time to achieve their peak in the Brikka than as espresso. There might be a very good chemical explanation for this. Actually, it might even be physical, with the negative effects of blooming being counteracted by the moka pot brewing method.
If you do experiment with different roasts in the Brikka, be sure to keep us posted!

Alex
Gate

Posted Wed May 24, 2006, 6:07am
Subject: Re: Roasting for Brikka

I have three small roasters. FreshRoast Plus 8. They are each different in the roasts I get, oddly enough. One of them requires overloading to achieve a roast that's dark enough to suit me. I do like a dark roast. I have been known to pull shots from still warm beans, but usually I only can wait a day to try out a new roast. It's called impatience! My husband can wax eloquent on the subject! Unfortunately, these little roasters do so little at a time, that I can only get two doubles and a single out of one roast in the La Pavoni. So, they never have time to really rest. No problem for me, as I am greatly enjoying the espresso. So, the fact that the Brikka isn't as sensitive to freshly roasted beans is a huge plus. Because there's no way I'm going to wait!
showing page 3 of 165 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Confessions of a...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.299314975739)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+