Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Polyester felt filtering material in Aeropress
Quality Espresso Machines
Imported Italian Espresso Machines, Coffee Machines & accessories for all your coffee needs!
www.thecoffeebrewers.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Polyester felt...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 7 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
rasqual
rasqual
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: *$ Barista, non-pressurized
Grinder: SMP
Vac Pot: Yama, Aeropress
Drip: Porcelain Melitta 103, Hario
Roaster: "ring roaster", mod popper
Posted Thu May 18, 2006, 8:30am
Subject: Re: Polyester felt filtering material in Aeropress

Right. Yeah, I thought about trying, but now that you've chimed in I'll take that as a second and assume the body politic would vote unanimously for the attempt.  ;-)

Cut to the right diameter, this thing might work edge-to-edge in the FP, using the in-place screen as backing. Let the polyester follow the screen up the side of the FP a wee bit as well, perhaps. What makes me think that'll work is the way the felt "gives" a bit -- it's somewhat compressible.

Ok, that settles it. This will be fun.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
jrtATL
jrtATL

Espresso: Expobar Office Control
Grinder: Mazzer Jolly; Cunill...
Drip: Melitta Clarity
Roaster: Drum on a Weber grill; HG/DB
Posted Thu May 18, 2006, 9:28am

rasqual Said:

I knew from the previous batches that I'd have to start the brew in another container to avoid wash-through, but figures I'd skip that just to see what happened.

I put the coffee into the Aero, added the water, and stirred. I weighed the wash-through just before pressing; I had 3.6 oz. wash-through. I then pressed, and ended up with 7.4 oz total extraction (so a grind holds about twice its original weight in water?).

Posted May 16, 2006 link

Hi Scott,

Do you think you would have less wash-through if you put two layers of poly into the Aeropress?  Just curious.

Thanks,

Jeremy

"I've appeared before every court in the state.  Often as a lawyer." - Lionel Hutz, Esq.
 View Profile Link to this post
Yirga

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Thu May 18, 2006, 1:43pm
Subject: Re: Aeropress and coffee oils

rasqual Said:

Someone take away that man's pharmaceuticals.   ;-)

Part 6376T31 is a 36" square sheet for $9. That comes in under a nickel per filter, and it should be good for many filtrations if carefully cleaned.

Posted May 17, 2006 link

I'll put my meds (zero) up against yours for low score wins but I'm really interested in your experiments since I solved the problem you're working on several months ago and enjoy your enjoyment of, The, Hunt For Red September, which already happened to me in March.  It's not about the Fox, but sipping Scotch whisky while hearing the hounds bay from smelling him while fast upon his trail!  O.K., so I sip some liquid medicine now and then!

Later on I'll post a thread with my solution to selective filtration and leave you to your folly for the time being.  Got whisky?
rasqual
rasqual

Posted Thu May 18, 2006, 7:26pm

You post that thread soon and I'll pour some long-neglected Kahlua. No, wait! I have some Chechvar beer! Yes, that's the ticket!

OK, go! Post! Divulge!
rasqual
rasqual

Posted Thu May 18, 2006, 7:29pm

jrtATL Said:

Do you think you would have less wash-through if you put two layers of poly into the Aeropress?  Just curious.

Posted May 18, 2006 link

Possibly. But then I wouldn't get the oils.

I'm going to test an apparatus tonight to gage the effectiveness of inversion versus upright use of the thing. Will post results here.
JohnF
JohnF

Espresso: Carezza (in the nude) :)
Grinder: Rocky
Vac Pot: Yama on the way....
Drip: Pour over and presses...
Roaster: 2# Buzz Roaster & SC/TO
Posted Thu May 18, 2006, 7:41pm

Am I the only one grossed out by the material? Polyester makes me think of pressing the coffee through Venus Flytrap's vest or something.  :(

If 5 micron is the key then I'd like to see 5 micron paper filters to toss after each use.

But the results are interesting and props for being brave.

John F

"coffee is bag to me. It always follow me like bag. I do love coffee. Its taste & aroma make me sweet~ . I happy happy day with coffee"
jrtATL
jrtATL

Espresso: Expobar Office Control
Grinder: Mazzer Jolly; Cunill...
Drip: Melitta Clarity
Roaster: Drum on a Weber grill; HG/DB
Posted Thu May 18, 2006, 7:44pm

rasqual Said:

Possibly. But then I wouldn't get the oils.

I'm going to test an apparatus tonight to gage the effectiveness of inversion versus upright use of the thing. Will post results here.

Posted May 18, 2006 link

Do you see any way to get the oils withou inverting the unit?

"I've appeared before every court in the state.  Often as a lawyer." - Lionel Hutz, Esq.
rasqual
rasqual

Posted Thu May 18, 2006, 9:20pm

JohnF Said:

Am I the only one grossed out by the material?

Posted May 18, 2006 link

Oooh, no. The stuff has a purity to it that's unreal. It's inorganic, for one thing -- as opposed to the cellulose (read: wood) in filter papers.

Seriously, it's a gorgeousl material. That's probably because it's a felt -- a lot different than fabrics you'd find in clothing. Not woven, mind you. Felt. Like wool felt -- only not stretchy or as supple.

OK, I know I said I'd test an apparatus tonight. Alas, I couldn't find what I'd need to separate and measure the oils, and the lame second-rate solution I tried was . . . well . . . stoopid.

Combining lame methods with a sane attempt at using this stuff with an FP, though, was fun. The FP pressed too hard -- but fortunately I began pressing soon enough (with a finer grind than usual, BTW) that the coffee tasted fine by the time I got 2/3 done with the pressing and gave up.

No fines, plenty of oils in the cup. Tasty! But not practical for an FP.

The grind floating in the FP and impeding filtration (but also thereby enhancing extraction) reminds me of the inverted FP -- the floating bloom and grind in the Aero also impedes filtration quite a bit. Once you turn it over, it filters fine.

In all seriousness, anyone who wants to not waste coffee and still have a non-over-extracted cup from the Aero, stir until the moment you press it.

Say, this Yirg's pretty good . . .

rasqual: FP_POLY.jpg
(Click for larger image)
darrylr

Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Fri May 19, 2006, 3:55am

rasqual Said:

Oooh, no. The stuff has a purity to it that's unreal. It's inorganic, for one thing -- as opposed to the cellulose (read: wood) in filter papers.

Posted May 18, 2006 link

Uhhh, no.  Polyester is an organic polymer.  So is cellulose for that matter.  Polyester is long chains of ester molecules (which are organic).  As for purity, that depends on whether there are traces still present of the chemicals used during manufacturing and processing.  Hopefully there are none, but unless there's a way to get that data you really want to be sure you wash the stuff real well.  It's not made for a food application so there's no telling what chemical traces may remain.

Darryl
Yirga

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Fri May 19, 2006, 4:48am

rasqual Said:

You post that thread soon and I'll pour some long-neglected Kahlua. No, wait! I have some Chechvar beer! Yes, that's the ticket!

OK, go! Post! Divulge!

Posted May 18, 2006 link

Not so fast my fiend, er, friend!  You were put here to do exactly what you're doing!  But don't ask me why?  And what would you do if I made your toil useless?

If you caught the fox the hunt would be over and no telling what you'd do?  Steady as she goes Captain!  Our DNA is somehow keeping up with global warming (yeah, deny your part in it).  Besides you just may come upon a cure for MRHS!
showing page 2 of 7 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Polyester felt...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Barista Tools
Large selection of tampers, pitchers, milk frothers and much more!
www.espressozone.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.375888109207)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+