Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Polyester felt filtering material in Aeropress
Italian Biscotti Cookies
Premium artisan quality Italian Biscotti cookies. Many flavors!
www.espressozone.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Polyester felt...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 7 last page next page
Author Messages
rasqual
rasqual
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: *$ Barista, non-pressurized
Grinder: SMP
Vac Pot: Yama, Aeropress
Drip: Porcelain Melitta 103, Hario
Roaster: "ring roaster", mod popper
Posted Tue May 16, 2006, 8:11pm
Subject: Polyester felt filtering material in Aeropress

I recently ordered parts:

6376T11, 6376T14, 6376T15

from http://www.mcmaster.com (hat tip to Matt S.)

These are 5, 25, and 50 micron polyester felt filtering sheets (12" x 12"), respectively. Slightly pressed, they're about as thick as a penny. They're relatively inexpensive.

I cut a circle from each to fit the Aeropress.

The 50u filter produced fines. So did the 25u. The 5u did not. Note: in the case of these three brews, I was using a whirly.

I did another batch later with a 5u circle, using 15g fresh roasted coffee ground at Drip (exactly) in a Solis Maestro Plus and 8 oz. water a minute off boil.

I knew from the previous batches that I'd have to start the brew in another container to avoid wash-through, but figures I'd skip that just to see what happened.

I put the coffee into the Aero, added the water, and stirred. I weighed the wash-through just before pressing; I had 3.6 oz. wash-through. I then pressed, and ended up with 7.4 oz total extraction (so a grind holds about twice its original weight in water?).

I ran the coffee through a conventional Aeropress filter and there were no fines -- none.

At the moment I can't comment on the presence of oils in the cup, or not.

Note: A Clover filters at best around 40u, at worst around 100u. Based on what I'm seeing here, fines disappear somewhere beneath 25 microns, so present Clover screens aren't likely to be rid of fines. A metal screen compliments of Alan Adler was 127u.

The picture below shows the polyester filter unused (left), used and rinsed (center), and on the right is the paper filter after running the resulting brew through it to screen for fines (which weren't present).

I have yet to do a 25 using the Solis, which is likely to result in a lot less fines than the whirly. I think.

rasqual: filters.jpg
(Click for larger image)
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Yirga

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Tue May 16, 2006, 8:48pm
Subject: Re: Polyester felt filtering material in Aeropress

I am very aeropressed with your venturing back to a '60's manner of dress which has been long overlooked for it's contribution to civilization.  I still have some old polyester jackets and pants I need to get out and recycle into today's world.  I could also listen to,  "Yellow Submarine" in doing so!

If polyester will pass coffee oil as well as the, "Blue Meanies" did their job, we'd really be getting somewhere!

Keep up the good work, Rasq!  But stop short of making a filter out of,  "Ole Stink Foot's" silk socks!

What about Gore Tex? Did Al Gore invent both it and the internet?

I'd like to try both 5u Nylon and Teflon fabric.
 View Profile Link to this post
rasqual
rasqual

Posted Wed May 17, 2006, 2:52pm
Subject: Aeropress and coffee oils

Whokay, the 5 micron polyester nails it. Holy cow.

Using the inverted method with the Aeropress -- which means doing the somewhat lame press-upside-down-until-you-almost-make-a-heckuva-mess thing -- I got a ton of oils in the cup. No problem.

I was wondering if the polyester would pass oils. The answer is an absolute "yes."

I'll post some pics later.

Suffice it to say you can get all the oils you want, and no fines, with the 5u poly. Not sure how long you can run around recycling one before it gets yuck, though. I'll be using a mild, neutral surfactant on one to see how long it lasts before it's absurd.
Yirga

Posted Wed May 17, 2006, 3:15pm
Subject: Re: Aeropress and coffee oils

Let me be the first to congratulate you!  This is truly a breakthrough!

Where are all the RitualGeeks?

You COULD be a man with a price on his head!  Watch your backside!

Does it taste anything like 9 bar espresso?  KFC original recipe?  SAE 10W40?
rasqual
rasqual

Posted Wed May 17, 2006, 5:33pm

<Markbait>

Why I do believe this is very like espresso!

</Markbait>

;-)
b512

Espresso: Bialetti
Grinder: Capresso Infinity
Vac Pot: Yama,Cory
Drip: Presto,KMB
Roaster: None
Posted Wed May 17, 2006, 5:43pm

Scott:
 Interesting,indeed. I assume the "upsidedown" method is not really necessary. I hope you will keep us informed.
                                             Barry
rasqual
rasqual

Posted Wed May 17, 2006, 8:35pm

Blast it all!

I need better glassware. I think I can get what I need on the morrow.

I brewed two doubles (30g grind ea., actually) and let the extraction settle in a narrow glass vessel. Unfortunately, my photos of the surface are garbage. What I WANT to do is have the top of the vessel so narrow that the oils are actually deep enough to measure!

But I can say this from what I saw with my own eyes -- well, let me back up. I mixed the brew in a separate cup, then poured it into the Aero -- one brew normal orientation, the other inverted. I controlled all variables pretty closely. I felt I had to do it this way 'cause the wash-through with a normal orientation mixed in the Aero would have made that instance a very different extraction -- less water over the minute period with a drip grind I used.

Anyway, the inverted method with the 5 micron polyester felt CLEARLY AND OBVIOUSLY passed an unbelievable quantity of oils into the cup. The normal orientation DID NOT. I'm shouting because I was surprised at how obvious and substantial the difference was.

Bear in mind, the inverted method consists in actually pressing until most of the bloom has dissippated through the filter. This results in the holes of the cap filling, and the extraction beginning to well up atop the inverted cap, threatening to drain off the top of the cap and make a mess. A timely, deft turn upright avoids a spill, but this is as inelegant a method as one could imagine.

I'm going to see if I can find the glassware I need to do this right so I can provide some photographic demonstration. I'll also do a paper filter, and might even do Alan's metal -- though I don't like that 127 micron size (that's at least 5 times coarser than where the fines begin to disappear).

Oils. Inverted. Five micron polyester, people. Believe it.
Yirga

Posted Wed May 17, 2006, 8:56pm

b512 Said:

Scott:
 Interesting,indeed. I assume the "upsidedown" method is not really necessary. I hope you will keep us informed.
                                             Barry

Posted May 17, 2006 link

That was my thought, too.  But maybe you still have to keep the high voltage generator going until the big lightning bolt hits!

Oils floating to the, "bottom" doesn't seem to be much help if the polyester passes coffee oils, anyway, right?

Watch out for a huge glow in the night sky in the direction of Aurora (has it ever NOT been that way?)  Polyester is never anything to play around with!  Lucy in the sky with diamonds!

He says it tastes like espresso!  I want it to taste like espresso!  But Alan said it already tasted like espresso!  You mean, we got, SUPER ESPRESSO?  Can that be possible?  Hey, Mark -- Yah, yah, yah, yah, YAH, YAH!  Don't we have to notify Homeland Security?  Ground Control to Major Tom!
rasqual
rasqual

Posted Wed May 17, 2006, 9:46pm

Someone take away that man's pharmaceuticals.   ;-)

Part 6376T31 is a 36" square sheet for $9. That comes in under a nickel per filter, and it should be good for many filtrations if carefully cleaned.
virginiacoffee
virginiacoffee
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Magister Home, Krups Gusto
Grinder: Zass 169D, Knee Mill
Vac Pot: Cory with widowmaker hot...
Drip: Bodum French Presses, Chemex
Roaster: Poppers, wok, BBQ-Rotisserie...
Posted Thu May 18, 2006, 7:42am
Subject: Re: Polyester felt filtering material in Aeropress

So, Scott, do you have a FP handy?  Could one of these replace the middle screen in a Bodum, like a  Chambourd?  I use one frequently.  Fines never bothered me much, but the Chemex has gotten me more acclimated to the clean cup.  My one fear of a finer screen would be blow-back.  But it might serve as an alternative to the Nylon fine screen at SMs, but there would be issues on how to 'seal' the center so it doesn't wallow, etc.

Yet Another Idea,
vacoffee
showing page 1 of 7 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Polyester felt...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Saeco Espresso Machines
Large selection in-stock, includes Free Gifts and Free Shipping!
www.espressozone.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.290857076645)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+