Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Polyester felt filtering material in Aeropress
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Polyester felt...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 5 of 7 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
SterlingTimes
SterlingTimes
Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Wed Jul 26, 2006, 10:56am
Subject: Re: Polyester felt filtering material in Aeropress

Hello. this is my first posting here, but I have been doing a lot of reading.

How could I obtain polyester in the UK?

My Googling doesn't yield any domestic suppliers.

I note that the following types of people use filters: wine brewers, photographers, and fish and pond people.

I also wondered whether Hoover bags of the plastic variety would work.

Any ideas please?
 View Profile Link to this post
rasqual
rasqual

Espresso: *$ Barista, non-pressurized
Grinder: SMP
Vac Pot: Yama, Aeropress
Drip: Porcelain Melitta 103, Hario
Roaster: "ring roaster", mod popper
Posted Wed Jul 26, 2006, 5:56pm

jhouse7 Said:

Ok so it sounds like the polypropylene makes a cup that I personally would be more interested in than the conventional paper that ships with it.

So is there any particular stats one should look for on the polypropylene or can I just google the stuff and pick up a sheet?

Posted June 16, 2006 link

Polyester. Forget polypropylene. The fibers soften too much at brewing temperatures (really).

You can order 5 micron felt polyester from McMaster-Carr, but it's fluffy on both sides (pardon the highly technical terminology ;-). And it's not FDA grade. But it works fine and so far, I haven't mutated.

The couple places I've found that provide FDA grade material have a significant cut fee for any quantity, so I'd suggest waiting until I get a LOT of it (I'm going to), press it into rounds, and sell it. I'll sell it as inexpensively as possible, but I'll need to pay for a quality punch and, heaven help me, an arbor press.

The FDA grade material is glorious, so I wouldn't commit to a lot of the other stuff. If you'd like enough material for a few rounds, I can mail it to you. Just send me your mailing address in a PM or e-mail. That's good for anyone till I run out.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
KenF

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Salvatore & Gaggia Titanium
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Posted Wed Jul 26, 2006, 8:21pm

Rasqual,

Did the 127u metal filter work better than the Polyester at 5u?  I think you said it came from Alan Adler?

Best to all.

Regards,

KenF
rasqual
rasqual

Posted Wed Jul 26, 2006, 8:49pm

There's no comparison. Let's put it this way -- a Clover will be configured with a screen anywhere between 40 and 100 microns. A Clover produces fines in the cup, embittering the bottom fifth of that cup via overextraction of those fines, and leaving the classic French press fines mouthfeel.

Furthermore,  you're not going to get much for oils in the cup with a metal screen, no matter how big the holes. The oils float near the surface, even after an aggressive stir. Or they're in the bloom. By the time you've pressed down to where they're about to emerge, they're having to travel through a puck. Only inversion can help with that -- although there's one bizarre irony. The wash-through that attends use of metal filters (or polyester, for that matter) is likely to provide some oils in the cup. I haven't tested that, but it's something of an obvious hunch.

I think inversion would help with a metal filter by allowing the fines to expand a bit during extraction so that fewer of them will be small enough to pass through the metal by the time you "revert" the Aero. But you'd still have a ton of fines.

I've become a bit of an orthodoxist on this polyester thing -- truth is, there's a lot of testing yet to be done. I'm looking forward to seeing a slew of others playing with it. It's a LOT of fun. Just tonight I was doing hilariously fast presses with the stuff. "OK, extraction's complete, I'll just pr -- ok, that was fast."    ;-)

Just imagine an unbelievably fast press that gets you a clean cup with no fines. Hard to imagine, but that's what this stuff does.

Oh, BTW, by mistake early today, I did a press with a 10 micron felt by mistake. I had all kinds of fines in the cup -- about like a French press. A great cup, that aside. But it really doesn't press any faster, or more effectively as far as I can tell, than a 5 micron. A 1 micron is a slightly cleaner cup than a 5 if we're talking about filters that have been used several times. The sediment that an old 5 micron leaves in the cup, however, doesn't have the mouthfeel of fines, and doesn't seem to lead to over-extraction in the last sip. And it's so very, very little.
Xcandescent

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Espresso
Grinder: MACAP MC4 Stepless
Vac Pot: Nicro Stainless Steel, Yama...
Drip: Not in a while ...
Posted Sat Jan 20, 2007, 1:32pm

Bringing a zombie thread back from the dead, hopefully for good reason ...

I've been experimenting with vac pot brewing, using a vintage Nicro brewer with stainless-steel filter.  More on that here (warning: long, probably inaccurate rantage).  I've gotten good to superb results with vac pot, but the method strikes me as being a bit fussier than it needs to be -- and with the wrong grind, results in quite a bit of fines.

I wondered openly if it wouldn't just be better to steep the coffee in one pot, then filter it out.  Problem being: the filter.  Paper brews too clean for my taste, and metal filters share press pot's problem with fines.  The Cuban sock is WAY thicker than what I'm looking for.

Then I came across some comments towards the tail end of the Aerobie Aeropress support thread, where Rasqual mentioned something about 5-micron polyester material.  A bit more searching, and I found his page on the inverted Aero method, and this thread.

I'd like to try out a 1 or 5 micron, FDA food-grade polyester filter for stovetop brewing.  Basically steep coffee at proper temperature for 3 minutes, then filter through polyester + funnel into thermal carafe.  However, I have no idea where to look for the material.  Links, please?

-XCN-
rasqual
rasqual

Posted Sat Jan 20, 2007, 1:58pm

E-mail me your addy and I'll send you some material to try.
AldoCoffee
AldoCoffee
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Linea, Cimbali Jr
Grinder: 2 Jollys, Swift, Zass,...
Vac Pot: Hario TCA2, Yama TCA5
Drip: Fetco, Abid, V60, Chemex
Roaster: Stumptown, Intelli, LaVerdad
Posted Sat Aug 11, 2007, 10:46am

Anything new here?  
-Did Rasqual buy the food-quality polyester and stamp it out yet?
-Do we have an equivalent metal 5 micron filter?
Is everyone still enamored of their Aerobies?

If there are ready-to-use food-quality poly filters out there, we're in the market.
rasqual
rasqual

Posted Sun Aug 12, 2007, 4:21pm

I found the stuff with a good pedigree, yes. It's the stuff -- and the supplier's only minutes away (really). It was funny how I discovered that.

Alas, now I'm not selling on account of being short on capital. I need to buy an entire roll from this supplier, which means this won't be about profit for a long, long time!

Maybe in a month. I need to order some stuff for the roast-off (see the Midwest area), and be sure that's behind me before I stretch my dollars.

I don't think you'll ever see a 5 micron metal that'll work worth a dang. Remember -- surface versus depth filtering with the felt. Very different animals!

What kind of quantity are you likely to use in time?
BobbyTimonera
BobbyTimonera

Grinder: Bodum Antigua, Zassenhaus,...
Drip: AeroPress, Bodum Chambord
Roaster: Rotisserie, Whirley-Pop
Posted Thu May 15, 2008, 6:06pm

rasqual Said:

The couple places I've found that provide FDA grade material have a significant cut fee for any quantity, so I'd suggest waiting until I get a LOT of it (I'm going to), press it into rounds, and sell it. I'll sell it as inexpensively as possible, but I'll need to pay for a quality punch and, heaven help me, an arbor press.

Posted July 26, 2006 link

So, where can we get this FDA grade polyester felt?

Rasqual, tried your inverted method last night, and for breakfast. I'm convinced! I only used the cloth from the laundry bag they give away in hotels, cut it to fit the aero. Not sure if I can live a long life using that. Would be nice to get that FDA grade one.

Bob
Waynen

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Brikka, Moka Pot
Grinder: Ditting KF804,Nemox Lux
Vac Pot: Silex ,Fr Press,
Drip: Cowboy coffee Thru Finum
Roaster: Wearever pumper
Posted Sun May 18, 2008, 4:53pm

Ditto, the request.

Thanks,

Wayne
showing page 5 of 7 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Polyester felt...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.305686950684)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+