Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Aerobie Aeropress
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Aerobie...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 17 of 289 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
AlanAdler
AlanAdler
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: AeroPress
Grinder: Baratza - Virtuoso
Roaster: Fresh Roast SR-500
Posted Thu Feb 9, 2006, 2:04pm
Subject: Re: Aerobie Aeropress

Hi Brian,

An important factor is the amount of coffee.  Are you using our scoop?  Try an extra scoop - even if it seems like a lot.

Incidentally, Peet's dark roasting process reduces edge.  But if you're using Peet's I presume that you are familiar with that.  You might be interested in this earlier post regarding dark roasts and "edge".

"Re: Aerobie Aeropress"

Sincerely,

Alan
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
twalker294

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Aeropress
Grinder: Solis Maestro Classic
Vac Pot: Bodum Columbia FP
Posted Thu Feb 9, 2006, 2:22pm

sinebubble Said:

Alan, thanks for your prompt assistance!

I bumped the temperature to 188F and slightly increased the amount of grounds. I drank it straight and then diluted 1:1. The "blandness" was still present. Without saying anything about my impression of the coffee, I made a cup for my girlfirend. She also said it was bland and tasteless. Hmmm.

My next step is to try a different blend. Aged Garuda has been my favorite in the past and I actually like their 101 blend. I'll try them both this weekend in hopes that it's actually the coffee, not the process, that is the issue.

Brian

Posted February 9, 2006 link

Wow..bland is about the last word I'd use to describe my Aeropress coffee. Rich and smooth are my two favorites. When I want a little more "bite" I still use my french press but the Aeropress yields a great cup for me. I hope it's your coffee that is the culprit. I have tried Kenya AA, Ethopian Harrar, Mocha Java, Costa Rican Tarrazu, Tanzania Peaberry, and Guatemalan Antigua in my Aeropress, all from Our Coffee Barn. The more medium blends aren't as good as a darker blend IMHO. The Harrar was much better in the Aero than in my FP...

Good luck!
Todd
b512

Espresso: Bialetti
Grinder: Capresso Infinity
Vac Pot: Yama,Cory
Drip: Presto,KMB
Roaster: None
Posted Thu Feb 9, 2006, 8:45pm

twalker294 Said:

Wow..bland is about the last word I'd use to describe my Aeropress coffee. Rich and smooth are my two favorites. When I want a little more "bite" I still use my french press but the Aeropress yields a great cup for me. I hope it's your coffee that is the culprit. I have tried Kenya AA, Ethopian Harrar, Mocha Java, Costa Rican Tarrazu, Tanzania Peaberry, and Guatemalan Antigua in my Aeropress, all from Our Coffee Barn. The more medium blends aren't as good as a darker blend IMHO. The Harrar was much better in the Aero than in my FP...

Good luck!
Todd

Posted February 9, 2006 link

Nicely written,Todd. You are probably right--I too,find the Aeropress superb. However,remember how much tastes vary. For some,the  Aeropress may just not be right,no matter what the coffee used. Still,your suggestions about coffee may change the story.
                                         Regards,
                                              Barry
 View Profile Link to this post
LukeSeubert

Expertise: I like coffee
Posted Fri Feb 10, 2006, 8:55am
Subject: Re: Aerobie Aeropress - storage

Good Alan.

A question about storage. From the instruction sheet, I know that it is not a good idea to keep the plunger's rubber seal contained inside the chamber as this compresses the seal over time. The recommendation is to push the plunger all the way through the chamber, or to store it separately from the chamber.

I like to store my Aeropress by pushing the plunger all the way through the chamber, then snugging the rubber seal up against the chamber rim, and twist-locking the cap into place. However, this does seem to require seating the rubber seal pretty firmly into the chamber rim. Would this compress the seal too much? Or was the Aeropress designed to be properly stored in this manner?

On a separate note, this form of storage is amazingly compact. I can toss the scoop and paddle into the plunger, and stack the chamber/plunger/cap on top of the filter holder, and it takes up very little space on my desk. I would think this sort of elegant, space saving design would do well in a market like Japan where folks appreciate really compact appliances. Of course, the Aeropress lacks a lot of gee-whiz, hi-tech blinkenlights and buttons, which are also popular in Japan. Regardless, have you considered selling the Aeropress in Asia?

Cheers,
Luke Seubert
sinebubble

Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso
Drip: AeroPress
Posted Fri Feb 10, 2006, 9:06am

Alan and everyone, thank you for your help. I purchased Peets Blend 101 (in absence of Aged Garuda, 101 is THE Peets blend, IMO) and their Peaberry. The Peaberry was a hit with the girl, but Blend 101 demonstrated for me that my Aeropress issues were around the blend. The 101 blend is what I'm used to getting when I go to Peets. So, nothing wrong with Aeropress, just a simple blend issue. Thanks for your attention, everyone!

Brian
AlanAdler
AlanAdler
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: AeroPress
Grinder: Baratza - Virtuoso
Roaster: Fresh Roast SR-500
Posted Fri Feb 10, 2006, 9:30am
Subject: Re: Aerobie Aeropress - storage

LukeSeubert Said:

Good Alan.

A question about storage. From the instruction sheet, I know that it is not a good idea to keep the plunger's rubber seal contained inside the chamber as this compresses the seal over time. The recommendation is to push the plunger all the way through the chamber, or to store it separately from the chamber.

I like to store my Aeropress by pushing the plunger all the way through the chamber, then snugging the rubber seal up against the chamber rim, and twist-locking the cap into place. However, this does seem to require seating the rubber seal pretty firmly into the chamber rim. Would this compress the seal too much? Or was the Aeropress designed to be properly stored in this manner?

On a separate note, this form of storage is amazingly compact. I can toss the scoop and paddle into the plunger, and stack the chamber/plunger/cap on top of the filter holder, and it takes up very little space on my desk. I would think this sort of elegant, space saving design would do well in a market like Japan where folks appreciate really compact appliances. Of course, the Aeropress lacks a lot of gee-whiz, hi-tech blinkenlights and buttons, which are also popular in Japan. Regardless, have you considered selling the Aeropress in Asia?

Cheers,
Luke Seubert

Posted February 10, 2006 link

Hi Luke,

Twisting the cap to the locked position requires that you push the seal into the chamber and compress it.  We recomended against storage in compression just to be on the safe side but I've actualy stored that way and not seen a problem.  If you leave the cap loose on the end, the seal will not be compressed.

Japan has alway been in our top two Aerobie export markets.  But we had a slow start because in the early years they thought that you played Aerobie (flying ring) alone by throwing, then walking to retrieve it.  It was several years after introduction that I discovered that they didn't realize it was a game of catch!

I've heard that there are boutique coffee houses where they have vacuum brewers and brew to order.  I think the AeroPress would work well in that environment.  I'm also trying to interest American coffee houses in using the AeroPress that way.  Perhaps you've seen some of my friendly challenges to a "taste-off".

http://www.portafilter.net/2006/01/how-clover-works.html  (scroll down for my post)

"Re: Clover at Artigiano"

On a different subject I'm delighted that sinebubble is happy and I thank everyone for coming to his assistance.  That's the way these forums are supposed to work.

Best regards,

Alan
Gate

Espresso: La Pavoni Romantica EPG-8
Grinder: Mazzer Super Jolly
Vac Pot: various
Drip: too many to recall
Roaster: Four FreshRoast+8's
Posted Fri Feb 10, 2006, 2:52pm

Alan, I've been impressed with your help in this forum, so I bought an Aeropress a few days ago. I have enjoyed it, but today I have tried to use it with very fresh (roasted on the 7th) coffee I purchased to use in my new La Pavoni, which is not functional due to a faulty cap. I need to use up that coffee before it gets old, and although I used some real junk in the Aeropress and it was pretty good, this stuff isn't working for me. Here's the problem: I found the portions of coffee were tiny when trying to make one or two shots. I'm diluting them for an Americano, and they were a bit weak. So, I ground four scoops, put them in, and put in the required amount of water. That's a lot! Well, it swelled up and overflowed when I tried to stir it, sending sludge and grounds all over my kitchen counter. I had to take the whole mess outside to dump it, dribbling glop the whole way. Could it be that this press doesn't like fresh coffee? I'm using Black Cat from Intelligentsia. Thanks in advance for any help you can give me. I think maybe I am not using the proper amount of water or something, even though I'm measuring it by the marks on the chamber.

Gate
JPR

Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Fri Feb 10, 2006, 3:22pm

There's not room for the coffee to "bloom" in the aeropress when you are making more than "2" servings. That's something I noted when I first looked at the device.

Obviously, your coffee is very fresh. I assume it had "rested" for 1 or 2 days after roasting?

Other than making a smaller quantity of coffee when dealing with freshly roasted beans, you could also try dribbling in the water while stirring to release the carbon dioxide before it takes off with your grounds. Keep stirring and dribbling until the bloom disappates, then proceed as normal.

You could also left your grounds "rest" for a bit after grinding, although this seems a sad thing to do with freshly roasted coffee.
Gate

Espresso: La Pavoni Romantica EPG-8
Grinder: Mazzer Super Jolly
Vac Pot: various
Drip: too many to recall
Roaster: Four FreshRoast+8's
Posted Fri Feb 10, 2006, 3:44pm

JPR Said:

There's not room for the coffee to "bloom" in the aeropress when you are making more than "2" servings. That's something I noted when I first looked at the device.

Obviously, your coffee is very fresh. I assume it had "rested" for 1 or 2 days after roasting?

Other than making a smaller quantity of coffee when dealing with freshly roasted beans, you could also try dribbling in the water while stirring to release the carbon dioxide before it takes off with your grounds. Keep stirring and dribbling until the bloom disappates, then proceed as normal.

You could also left your grounds "rest" for a bit after grinding, although this seems a sad thing to do with freshly roasted coffee.

Posted February 10, 2006 link

I figured since it was roasted on the 7th, that it had rested enough. But that's a good idea about dribbling in the water and stirring. I'll try that, and I guess I won't be able to use four scoops. Thanks, JPR.

Gate
Happyboy

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Expobar Lever, Gaggia...
Grinder: Mazzer Mini, Solis Maestro
Vac Pot: Kona
Drip: French Press, KMB,...
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Fri Feb 10, 2006, 3:59pm

I belive it was suggested earlier to use a larger vessel such as a French Press carafe and allow the coffee to bloom.  Once settled and extracted pour it into the Aero Press.  I use really fresh, homeroasted coffee and will probably have to do this when brewing 2 servings.  If you continue to stir and/or swirl the coffee the bloom will eventually go down.  
I will be getting one for Valentine's Day from the most understanding woman I have ever met.  :)  I will post results.

-Christopher Robbins
 View Profile Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
showing page 17 of 289 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Aerobie...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.388653039932)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+