Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Clover Coffee Machine - First Impressions From CoffeeGeeks
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Clover Coffee...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
rasqual
rasqual
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: *$ Barista, non-pressurized
Grinder: SMP
Vac Pot: Yama, Aeropress
Drip: Porcelain Melitta 103, Hario
Roaster: "ring roaster", mod popper
Posted Sat Feb 25, 2006, 10:07pm
Subject: Re: Clover Coffee Machine - First Impressions From CoffeeGeeks

MarkPrince Said:

Interesting comments!

To add interest, I'd be very interested in hearing if any Clover owners are willing to take Alan Alder up on his "challenge"... including him covering his own airfare / travel to go to the scene of the gauntlet throwdown.

So far not a (public) peep.

Mark

Posted February 9, 2006 link

I'd like to see that.

I finally made peace with my AeroPress. I'd been thinking of it as a PRESS -- it's not. That is, what's important is merely filtering the brew -- not squeezing it through under as much hand pressure as possible. I'm convinced of that now -- though I heard that from Alan long ago and could have merely taken his word for it. I guess I had to get the notion out of my head that increased pressure would somehow make a different cup. I'm now convinced that it in no way does. Which makes sense. Which suggests I've only lately come to my senses.  ;-)

The big question is a no-brainer -- when will the first occasion be when a Clover owner cuts a round out of a Chemex filter and tries an "AeroPress" shot with the Clover? That's SUCH an obvious thing to try. Surely someone's done it.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Fleck

Expertise: Professional

Posted Sun Feb 26, 2006, 6:17am

so we installed the clover at the stumptown annex on thursday night and debuted her friday morning. customers are intrigued, it reminds them of a james bond coffee brewer (as one customer described it). it is a truly remarkable machine. lucas (our annex manager), jimmy (one of our roasters) and i played with only two coffees in about a four hour period on saturday afternoon, lining them up with cupping and french press extractions. there are so many things that can be controlled and it is so exciting: dosage, grind setting, brew time, brew temperature, absorption percentage, etc. etc.

so rad, i felt like i was back in college chemistry.

our belmont regular, wire moore, snapped some shots, check it (copy the whole link, don't click):

http://www.flickr.com/photos/87934052@N00/104459524/in/set-72057594070398789/

i hope everyone has the chance to see the clover in action. it is a spectacle and can produce one of the finest cups of coffees you have ever tasted. if you are in portland, you know where you can find me in the next couple weeks for sure.

--sv

Stephen E. Vick
stephenstumptowncoffeecom
 View Profile Link to this post
slider
slider
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Vetrano
Grinder: MACAP M4 Stepless, Knee...
Vac Pot: Yama w/ Cona rod
Drip: 1 Cup Ceramic, Press
Roaster: SC/SO, iRoast1, iRoast 2
Posted Sun Feb 26, 2006, 7:47am

I have not had an opportunity to try coffee produced from one of these.  From what I have seen online, I'd say this machine is not a fad, and that this current design will remain in the hands of coffee shops or restaurants that pride themselves in quality coffee.  Coffee by the cup, that's great.  This machine clearly does not make sense were there is a high volume of sales of a had full of coffees, if the shop is brewing a carafe one after the other, well, it might has well be by the cup.  Then again, even the busiest shops have lulls.  What's the price of this machine?

This plan is so bad it must be one of ours!
rasqual
rasqual

Espresso: *$ Barista, non-pressurized
Grinder: SMP
Vac Pot: Yama, Aeropress
Drip: Porcelain Melitta 103, Hario
Roaster: "ring roaster", mod popper
Posted Sun Feb 26, 2006, 8:55am

Fleck Said:

so we installed the clover at the stumptown annex on thursday night and debuted her friday morning. customers are intrigued, it reminds them of a james bond coffee brewer (as one customer described it). it is a truly remarkable machine. lucas (our annex manager), jimmy (one of our roasters) and i played with only two coffees in about a four hour period on saturday afternoon, lining them up with cupping and french press extractions. there are so many things that can be controlled and it is so exciting: dosage, grind setting, brew time, brew temperature, absorption percentage, etc. etc.

Posted February 26, 2006 link

So how about clarity? Are there fines in the cup?

In all seriousness, would you mind trying a round of Chemex filter (or similar) under the grind, to see whether extraction works properly? With this thing being vacuum-driven, with the right grind (and therefore adjusted brewing time) I'd imagine it wouldn't be a problem.

The Clover's certainly a beauty -- and I'd imagine that repeatability is extremely valuable. That particular customer comes in and . . .  geez. This much control means more variables to keep track of when that regular customer comes in and says "my usual, please."  ;-)

Slider: Hey, how about this? Take advantage of the basic hardware infrastructure of the Clover and scale it to provide two or three heads? I can't imagine why not. Valves, man. Valves. Three times the heads (pistons?) wouldn't mean three times the gear -- just adding valves to leverage the gear one has. However, it's true that adding more hands to servers might be a problem.   ;-D

I wonder if they'll introduce a "multiple" model. Only once the single does well on the market, I'd think.

The price is outrageous, though. Still, if you charged $2 and made a cup every five minutes, it wouldn't take long to pay for it. Park this sucker in a mall kiosk and run it on a 100% duty cycle and you'd pay for it pretty fast.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Fleck

Expertise: Professional

Posted Sun Feb 26, 2006, 3:29pm

I wonder if they'll introduce a "multiple" model.

a little bird told me that something of that nature may or may not already be in development.

:-)

--stephen

Stephen E. Vick
stephenstumptowncoffeecom
counting

Posted Mon Feb 27, 2006, 7:12pm

rasqual Said:

I wonder if they'll introduce a "multiple" model.

The machine we're discussing is called the "Clover 1." Possible clue about the answer to your question?
burnaby
burnaby
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Saeco Via Venezia, Gran...
Grinder: Mazzer Super Jolly, La...
Drip: Black & Decker Brew N Go
Posted Wed Feb 27, 2008, 1:57pm

MarkPrince Said:

To add interest, I'd be very interested in hearing if any Clover owners are willing to take Alan Alder up on his "challenge"... including him covering his own airfare / travel to go to the scene of the gauntlet throwdown.

Posted February 9, 2006 link

I know this is a dated thread, but in case anyone is curious here's a review of Alan Adler putting his Aeropress up against the Clover and Synesso at the Discovery Coffee in Victoria, BC. click here
piscator

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Thu Feb 28, 2008, 10:12pm

As I am rather new to coffee drinking, my palate may not be as refined as it should be to warrant my input.
However, my expectations were not met with my first cup and, I too, felt the lack of body. Frankly I expected to be awed by this $ 11,000.00 machine.   I am also keenly aware that I should try a number of cups with different coffees before I make any conclusions and for that  reason, I'll withhold any serious judgement .  The mechanics and engineering of this machine are astonishing.  

piscator
BayAreaRadiologist

Expertise: I live coffee

Grinder: Rancilio Rocky
Drip: Aeropress, French Press
Roaster: Behmor, Variac'd FR+
Posted Thu Feb 28, 2008, 10:31pm

I tried the Clover last week - an Ethiopian Sidamo.

It was as good as the best coffee I've brewed at home, i.e. with my own roasts and using french press, aeropress, or pour-over. To be able to consistently brew such coffee is great indeed.

Yet as great as that is, it was still a let down, considering that the Clover costs $10,000. While I was expecting coffee from another world, I found it to be "merely" among the best coffee I've brewed at home with far cheaper equipment.  A strange sentiment, I know, but I think you catch my drift.
passionateone
passionateone

Espresso: Bezzera BZ02S
Grinder: macap M4 step/doserless,Old...
Vac Pot: cona D
Drip: chemex
Roaster: Gene
Posted Thu Feb 28, 2008, 10:51pm

Fleck Said:

it is a truly remarkable machine. lucas (our annex manager), jimmy (one of our roasters) and i played with only two coffees in about a four hour period on saturday afternoon, lining them up with cupping and french press extractions. there are so many things that can be controlled and it is so exciting: dosage, grind setting, brew time, brew temperature, absorption percentage, etc. etc.

It takes a commited third wave propriator to even consider trying to pull the Clover off.  I love getting a Clover cup, because I appreciate the research that has gone on top of the already near infinate journey of potential from farm to cup.

I've only had a couple at Ritual in SF, but they have knocked my socks off.  Good luck finding one for $2.
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Clover Coffee...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.330160856247)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+