Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Aerobie Aeropress
Quality Espresso Machines
Imported Italian Espresso Machines, Coffee Machines & accessories for all your coffee needs!
www.thecoffeebrewers.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Aerobie...  
view next topic | view all topics
showing page 244 of 280 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
jpender
jpender
Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: OE LIDO
Vac Pot: S/S Moka Pot
Drip: Aeropress
Posted Tue Mar 19, 2013, 8:57am
Subject: Re: Aerobie Aeropress

slickfast Said:

I've been Googling around for good ways to transport these brilliant little gadgets with their multiple pieces. Am I the only one that finds this a pain in the neck? What do you do about it?

Posted March 18, 2013 link

Did you find anything? I see that Able makes a cap that fits on the plunger, turning it into a small storage container.

The Aeropress is three main pieces -- cylinder, plunger and cap. Pretty small even fully disassembled. Throw the whole thing in a little bag? Pushing the plunger all the way through the cylinder (so that the rubber is not compressed) reduces the count to two pieces.

I carry AP, filters, pre-weighed doses of beans, a grinder, a porcelain cup, and a small towel in an foam-insulated one liter water bottle carrier for when I take my coffee equipment backpacking. The whole thing weighs around 2 lbs so it's kind of a luxury item. But it's compact enough.

jpender: dot.gif
 View Profile Link to this post
slickfast

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Sat Mar 30, 2013, 4:20pm

jpender Said:

Did you find anything? I see that Able makes a cap that fits on the plunger, turning it into a small storage container.

The Aeropress is three main pieces -- cylinder, plunger and cap. Pretty small even fully disassembled. Throw the whole thing in a little bag? Pushing the plunger all the way through the cylinder (so that the rubber is not compressed) reduces the count to two pieces.

I carry AP, filters, pre-weighed doses of beans, a grinder, a porcelain cup, and a small towel in an foam-insulated one liter water bottle carrier for when I take my coffee equipment backpacking. The whole thing weighs around 2 lbs so it's kind of a luxury item. But it's compact enough.

Posted March 19, 2013 link

Good to know, thanks for the feedback! I usually have the paddle and scooper in the plunger so if I cap it I would have to carry the paddle/scooper separately. Not digging that.

And how about the funnel, does you actually use that? I usually just leave it behind and scoop it directly into the AP.

I'm actually designing a little gadget to solve this problem. It will replace one of the components of the AP to make transporting it infinitely easier. Would anyone here be interested in such a product?
jamierayo

Espresso: Breville DB, Rancilio Silvia
Grinder: Mazzer Major, Mini E,...
Drip: Aeropress, Kalita Wave
Roaster: iRoast2, Behmor
Posted Sun Mar 31, 2013, 10:14am

I too like the idea of a carrier for the Aeropress. The Able cap is a great idea, but doesnt work for me either.
I don't use the scoop, but I do carry the paddle & the handle for my Hario slim mill inside the plunger. (-just in case my cordless drill is not nearby at break time :-)
Presently, I carry everything in a small military-style cotton mechanic's tool bag.
jpender
jpender

Posted Sun Mar 31, 2013, 2:43pm

slickfast Said:

Good to know, thanks for the feedback! I usually have the paddle and scooper in the plunger so if I cap it I would have to carry the paddle/scooper separately. Not digging that.

And how about the funnel, does you actually use that? I usually just leave it behind and scoop it directly into the AP.

I'm actually designing a little gadget to solve this problem. It will replace one of the components of the AP to make transporting it infinitely easier. Would anyone here be interested in such a product?

Posted March 30, 2013 link

I don't use any of the Aeropress accessories so I'm not a potential customer of your gadget.

What I'd really like to see is a larger Aeropress, both taller and wider, preferably well insulated, and with a valve at the bottom to control flow. If it were also aerodynamic enough to be thrown as a frisbee I'd buy one for sure.
slickfast

Posted Sun Mar 31, 2013, 5:53pm

jpender Said:

I don't use any of the Aeropress accessories so I'm not a potential customer of your gadget.

What I'd really like to see is a larger Aeropress, both taller and wider, preferably well insulated, and with a valve at the bottom to control flow. If it were also aerodynamic enough to be thrown as a frisbee I'd buy one for sure.

Posted March 31, 2013 link

Gotcha. Do you think people would buy something like this? Again, I'm honestly just solving my own frustration here, but if other people would be interested I'm happy to figure out a way to produce it.

I also would like to see a larger Aeropress, but I don't think I can do that without violating Mr. Adler's patent until it expires. However I'm a little curious about that since there appears to be another patent application that is very VERY similar to his and more recent (Filed in 2011), the only major difference being that it's already integrated into a cup of some sort:

https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=patentimages .storage.googleapis.com/pdfs/US20120260806.pdf

It's not a patent though... does that mean it was denied and then published anyway?
jamierayo

Espresso: Breville DB, Rancilio Silvia
Grinder: Mazzer Major, Mini E,...
Drip: Aeropress, Kalita Wave
Roaster: iRoast2, Behmor
Posted Sun Mar 31, 2013, 6:42pm

The Cafejo My French Press looks similar to an Aeropress, but it can use K-Cups, pods, or ground coffee (I presume in a K-Cup like container).
I expect the press produces a very different cup, since it appears to simply press the hot water through the K-Cup with no immersion.

I would think a larger Aeropress would rather difficult to use. The current size is just right for me anyhow.
scjavadr

Posted Mon Apr 1, 2013, 6:08am

slickfast Said:

https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=patentimages .storage.googleapis.com/pdfs/US20120260806.pdf

It's not a patent though... does that mean it was denied and then published anyway?

Slickfast - that publication is still pending.  It hasn't even been examined by the USPTO yet.
Netphilosopher

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Mon Apr 1, 2013, 8:11am
Subject: ...

jpender
jpender

Posted Mon Apr 1, 2013, 8:26am

jamierayo Said:

The Cafejo My French Press looks similar to an Aeropress, but it can use K-Cups, pods, or ground coffee (I presume in a K-Cup like container).
I expect the press produces a very different cup, since it appears to simply press the hot water through the K-Cup with no immersion.

The Cafejo looks exactly like that patent application (see attached photo of Cafejo next to patent application image), or is that what you were saying? The patent seems to revolve around the use of k-cups or the like, but it looks like the Cafejo also allows the use of coffee grounds.

It's interesting as this was an idea I have thought about for some time: an Aeropress for percolation as opposed to infusion. In my mind it's a way to disentangle the temperature/pressure that are linked together thermodynamically in a moka pot. So it appears somebody has already done this, more or less -- but what keeps the water from cooling during the pressing time?

jpender: Cafejo_My_French_Press.jpg
(Click for larger image)
jpender
jpender

Posted Mon Apr 1, 2013, 8:29am

jamierayo Said:

I would think a larger Aeropress would rather difficult to use. The current size is just right for me anyhow.

I don't mean twice as big, just somewhat larger. The current AP is a little too small for inverted brewing, which I need to do when using a metal filter because of the flow through, which is due to the lack of a valve at the bottom.

How come nobody is addressing my desire for a frisbee version of the AP?
showing page 244 of 280 first page | last page previous page | next page
view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Aerobie...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Quick Mill Andreja
Best bang for the buck in E-61 Espresso Machines.  In stock, free shipping, 2 yr warranty!
cupandbrew.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.415877103806)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+