Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Aerobie Aeropress
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Aerobie...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 276 of 289 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
WelshDog

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Aeropress
Grinder: OE Lido
Posted Fri Mar 14, 2014, 9:10pm
Subject: Re: Aerobie Aeropress

If one wanted to get as close to espresso as possible using an Aeropress, what would be the weight of coffee and the weight of water used?  I'm not looking for a large volume, but a very concentrated, flavorful extraction to make lattes etc.
 View Profile Link to this post
MWJB

Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: Rocky, Lido, Porlex, Hario...
Drip: Not enough room to list...
Posted Sat Mar 15, 2014, 5:05am

WelshDog Said:

If one wanted to get as close to espresso as possible using an Aeropress, what would be the weight of coffee and the weight of water used?  I'm not looking for a large volume, but a very concentrated, flavorful extraction to make lattes etc.

Posted March 14, 2014 link

You wont get into the higher levels of concentration that typify espresso, however you can get broadly into espresso concentrations at the lower end of the range.

16-20g of coffee, grind very fine.

Steep inverted with ~3-4x the weight of coffee. Make sure the grinds are well & evenly wet, will take a fair bit of stirring agitation (just enough to get everything saturated, don't stir for whole minutes, maybe add half the brew water, dose, stir then remaining brew water & stir again) & steep for as long as you can. The milk temp will bring up the temp of the coffee if it has cooled too much.
WelshDog

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Aeropress
Grinder: OE Lido
Posted Sat Mar 15, 2014, 12:49pm

MWJB Said:

You wont get into the higher levels of concentration that typify espresso, however you can get broadly into espresso concentrations at the lower end of the range.

16-20g of coffee, grind very fine.

Steep inverted with ~3-4x the weight of coffee. Make sure the grinds are well & evenly wet, will take a fair bit of stirring agitation (just enough to get everything saturated, don't stir for whole minutes, maybe add half the brew water, dose, stir then remaining brew water & stir again) & steep for as long as you can. The milk temp will bring up the temp of the coffee if it has cooled too much.

Posted March 15, 2014 link

Thanks for that. I tried it this morning and it was a nice improvement.  I used 18g coffee, ground in my Lido.  Added 72g water and made sure it was properly wetted.  2 minute steep.  y wife commented that the coffee flavor in her latte was much more pronounced - and better.
rasqual
rasqual
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: *$ Barista, non-pressurized
Grinder: SMP
Vac Pot: Yama, Aeropress
Drip: Porcelain Melitta 103, Hario
Roaster: "ring roaster", mod popper
Posted Sat Mar 15, 2014, 7:36pm

AlanAdler Said:

I nuked the samples so they were all 130F.

Alan

Posted March 13, 2014 link

?!

Can you explain the process a bit more? Not to delve into proprietary testing territory beyond courtesy, but I'm really curious.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
jpender
jpender

Grinder: OE LIDO
Vac Pot: S/S Moka Pot
Drip: Aeropress
Posted Mon Mar 17, 2014, 12:50pm

AlanAdler Said:

So when I read about people brewing at 205F, I wonder if they've ever tried 175F.

You may think that I'm a missionary for 175F.  But I'm just a messenger.  I observed the tasters preferring 175F and I'm reporting that.  If the tasters had preferred a gazillion degrees I would have reported that.

I'm only the messenger.  Don't shoot the messenger.

Posted March 9, 2014 link

I've tried to brew at 175F a handful of times. I get coffee that is unobjectionable but somehow lacking, even a little thin. Maybe I'm doing something wrong? The last time I tried to follow the official Aerobie instructions and the coffee was a disappointment when compared to the cup of it I'd just brewed twenty minutes earlier at a higher temperature.

I'm willing to believe that I'm just not doing it correctly. But what about all the other people who brew hotter? Or the Aeropress champions who use hotter water? Are they all deluded?

The results of taste tests, personal preferences and self-delusions aside, it's a different matter if the elastomer plunger is ill suited to contact with water above 175F. That rubbery part is both genius and a weak link in the Aeropress design. I know that the newer plunger on my Aeropress smells like a rubber tire no matter how I clean it. That sure can't be the best thing to come in contact with the coffee.
paulbel
paulbel

Espresso: aeropress
Grinder: conical burr (cuisinart)
Drip: sometimes
Posted Mon Mar 17, 2014, 1:11pm

175 degree water works well for me, but it's important, in my experience to use a very fine grind. Even a whirly used until the grounds are almost caked seems to work fine, because of the paper filter. The Aeropress is very forgiving that way.

That said, I do take precautions with the temperature of the other elements.

I generally put the mug in the oven, preheating to 350 degrees until the oven reaches temperature.
The Aeropress itself I keep in the freezer, except for the plunger, because I'm afraid the rubber might shatter.
This allows me to use water just slightly hotter than 175. Even as hot as 177.
I make sure my agave syrup is body temperature
and the whipping cream at roughly 40 degrees.

other than that, just follow the very simple instructions on the packaging.
jpender
jpender

Posted Mon Mar 17, 2014, 1:27pm

paulbel Said:

175 degree water works well for me, but it's important, in my experience to use a very fine grind. Even a whirly used until the grounds are almost caked seems to work fine, because of the paper filter. The Aeropress is very forgiving that way.

Posted March 17, 2014 link

How much coffee do you use?

We recommend drip grind when
using two or more scoops because
it's easy to push and yields rich
flavor. For single-scoop pressings,
espresso grind will yield more
flavor yet still be easy to push.

- Aerobie AeroPress instructions
paulbel
paulbel

Espresso: aeropress
Grinder: conical burr (cuisinart)
Drip: sometimes
Posted Mon Mar 17, 2014, 1:30pm

jpender Said:

How much coffee do you use?

Posted March 17, 2014 link

Coffee?
rasqual
rasqual

Espresso: *$ Barista, non-pressurized
Grinder: SMP
Vac Pot: Yama, Aeropress
Drip: Porcelain Melitta 103, Hario
Roaster: "ring roaster", mod popper
Posted Mon Mar 17, 2014, 6:00pm

LOL
jpender
jpender

Posted Tue Mar 18, 2014, 12:23pm

Paul, you probably remember a while back in this thread when I first played around with Alan's method. He claimed he achieved 25% extraction. I was surprised to find that coffee extracted to that level was lacking bitterness, just as he said. That was fascinating but the coffee didn't taste any better to me than hot brewed. I've revisited 175F brewing a few times since and obtained similar or inferior results.

I tried again this morning with a very fine grind. The coffee tasted pretty good. It wasn't better than the same coffee brewed at 198F, but I liked it. It took a lot of effort to hand grind and was very difficult to press the coffee, taking several minutes. And it was too cold before I was halfway through so I microwaved the cup (whereupon I overshot and it was too hot). So a lot of extra effort for coffee that was at best equal to a hotter brew. I use the Aeropress first and foremost because it's fast and easy.

By the way I just noticed that Aerobie has updated their instructions since I last looked. They now recommend 185F for lighter roasts.
showing page 276 of 289 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Aerobie...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.395405769348)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+