Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Aerobie Aeropress
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Aerobie...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 265 of 289 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
jpender
jpender
Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: OE LIDO
Vac Pot: S/S Moka Pot
Drip: Aeropress
Posted Mon Jun 3, 2013, 1:51pm
Subject: Re: Aerobie Aeropress

That model gives us no insight into why one would choose to do a staged brew, other than for a modest improvement in economy.
 View Profile Link to this post
squaremile

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Mon Jun 3, 2013, 10:58pm

My apologies if this has been asked before, but I couldn't find it. Does anyone use multiple filters for the AP? I have been experimenting with 2 or 3 filters at one time and by my tasting there is more clarity and less body. Curious what others have noticed.
Netphilosopher

Posted Tue Jun 4, 2013, 5:36am
Subject: ...

jpender
jpender

Posted Tue Jun 4, 2013, 10:05am

Netphilosopher Said:

Personally, if I have to dilute anyways, why not dilute with some grounds rinsing water rather than just diluting with water alone?

....and maybe a bit more character.

Posted June 4, 2013 link

Oh, so it IS about economy. I thought it was supposed to be a taste improvement.

I don't dilute my AP coffee, I drink it straight at about 2%. So for me it isn't worth the extra effort just to save 10 per cup unless there is going to be a marked improvement in taste.

In terms of economy -- and assuming that the second infusion doesn't extract significantly but only rinses -- here is a graph showing the increase in yield over single infusion versus the relative size of the second water infusion for different values of "a" (wet grounds/dry coffee - 1).

jpender: stage_brew.jpg
(Click for larger image)
jpender
jpender

Posted Tue Jun 4, 2013, 10:09am

squaremile Said:

My apologies if this has been asked before, but I couldn't find it. Does anyone use multiple filters for the AP? I have been experimenting with 2 or 3 filters at one time and by my tasting there is more clarity and less body. Curious what others have noticed.

Posted June 3, 2013 link

I haven't tried it. It makes sense that you could improve clarity by adding filters, kind of a statistical thing I guess.

But try this instead: Press more gently. Report back.
jpender
jpender

Posted Tue Jun 4, 2013, 11:24am

Netphilosopher Said:

The key here is unlike what many people believe, it doesn't continue to extract, at least from what I've been able to discern with measurements of TDS% using refractometry....The point is it doesn't present evidence that it dissolves past the established equilibrium amount of TDS already dissolved.

Posted June 4, 2013 link

With your refractometer you can measure a change in concentration on the order of 1 part in 10,000. Could there be bitter compounds in coffee with taste thresholds below this concentration that continue to leech into solution undetected by your refractometer?
squaremile

Posted Tue Jun 4, 2013, 7:08pm

There is a distinct different once you get to 3 filters. I use an inverted method and the plunger wants to pop off due to pressure when you flip, so hold on tight if you do it. Remarkably clear and clean cup. I always press slow (30s for the plunge and I always leave a lot in the chamber (never hear air).
AlanAdler
AlanAdler
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: AeroPress
Grinder: Baratza - Virtuoso
Roaster: Fresh Roast SR-500
Posted Wed Jun 5, 2013, 7:35pm

squaremile Said:

I always leave a lot in the chamber (never hear air).

Posted June 4, 2013 link

This nuance has been used by at least one winner of a World AeroPress Championship.

Can any of you describe the benefits of this, vs bottoming the plunger on the puck?

Best,

Alan

PS  The recent World AeroPress Championships in Melbourne Australia are reported here.

http://baristamagazine.com/blog/?p=7796

Click Here (sprudge.com)
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
MrMug

Posted Thu Jun 6, 2013, 7:03am

I can definitely see where double pumping/stage brewing is superfluous with medium to darker roasts. I've tried that and it does seem a little over-extracted.

But I'm telling you it definitely pulls out better flavor notes on lighter roast coffees, which, when single-staged, are certainly extraordinarily smooth, but lacking a bit in character. I think this is because darker roasted coffees are apt to give up their oils quicker since they've been roasted longer, whereas lighter roast coffees need a little more finesse.

In any event, it's easy and fun to experiment with this little marvel. And everyone can easily find their own favorite techniques based on their grind and palette proclivities.
jpender
jpender

Posted Thu Jun 6, 2013, 7:07pm

squaremile Said:

There is a distinct different once you get to 3 filters.

Posted June 4, 2013 link

In appearance or taste or both? I think I recall Netphilospher posting that two filters didn't make that much of a difference versus just one.

squaremile Said:

I always press slow (30s for the plunge and I always leave a lot in the chamber (never hear air).

Posted June 4, 2013 link

I meant gently as in VERY low force. Just barely above gravity.
The time it takes can vary a lot and by itself means nothing.

For example, when I replicated Alan's stock AP recipe it took me over a minute to press.

edit:

I did a quick experiment. I made 5 cups of coffee (recipe: 13g at LIDO 1.5 grind, 200g of water at 93.5C, quick stir, 30s steep, then press):

(#1) Able Disk standard, 99 second press
(#2) 1 paper filter, 38 second press
(#3) 2 paper filters, 42 second press
(#4) 3 paper filters, 44 second press
(#5) 1 paper filter, 94 second press

Visual clarity: Virtually indistinguishable. Each was just a little cloudy.
Taste: All five cups were pretty good with little difference between them.

So what is the recipe you have been using along with those three paper filters?
showing page 265 of 289 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Aerobie...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.407542943954)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+