Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Aerobie Aeropress
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Aerobie...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 274 of 293 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
jpender
jpender
Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: OE LIDO
Vac Pot: S/S Moka Pot
Drip: Aeropress
Posted Sun Feb 23, 2014, 11:56am
Subject: Re: Aerobie Aeropress

AlanAdler Said:

Do you prefer to brew this way?  Or is this just a hypothetical example?

Posted February 22, 2014 link

I've tried a number of different brewing strategies and continue to experiment. I'm not sure one way works best. While I haven't gone out to 5 minutes I was brewing 2-3 minutes with a somewhat coarse grind and the standard Able Disk for a period of several months.
 View Profile Link to this post
jpender
jpender

Posted Sun Feb 23, 2014, 12:24pm

Will boiling water harm the plunger? I've had a couple of plungers shrink to where they no longer made good contact with the press unless warmed up. I've wondered if this could have been due to inverted brewing and/or preheating.

The plastic parts of the Aeropress can also creep and one might suppose that hotter water would increase the likelihood of that. I have a black Aeropress cap that became slightly convex. The cylinder of the Aeropress I hacked to add a valve now has a visible warp. I also had a cylinder develop odd crazings on it right where the plunger supported it when inverted.

Check out this very old and very used Aeropress cylinder (not mine): Click Here (worldaeropresschampionship.files.wordpress.com)

I also have an old (now retired) plunger seal that became a sponge filled with what is possibly coffee oil. If I let it sit out unused for a week or two a very sticky goo will bead up on its surface. Attached is a photo I took of it after I'd left it untouched for about one month.

jpender: AP_plunger_goo.jpg
(Click for larger image)
rasqual
rasqual
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: *$ Barista, non-pressurized
Grinder: SMP
Vac Pot: Yama, Aeropress
Drip: Porcelain Melitta 103, Hario
Roaster: "ring roaster", mod popper
Posted Wed Feb 26, 2014, 8:26pm

AlanAdler Said:

A bit of a chill goes up my spine when I read about pouring boiling water into an inverted AeroPress.  The seal normally contacts air, not boiling water.

The various "hacks" discussed here often increase temperature and time.  We think AeroPress brew tastes good because it works with moderate temperature and has a short wet time.

Posted February 22, 2014 link

Argh.

See that's what you get for creating a versatile, hackable decice but being provincial about the range of the brewing variables. And coming out of idiosyncratic left field with freezing cold water as your standard ;-) you really shouldn't be surprised when folks are pouring 205 degree water all over every part of the device.

Proper extraction can occur with many different permutations of the brewing variables. A hardware device that affords users wide latitude in their selection of permutation sets is going to be pressed to all those limits. You're not in control of that.

I mean, think about this. People use popcorn poppers to roast coffee. By comparison, any lament you might have about folks using hot water on the plunger is going to sound like the inventor of the paper clip complaining about its many alternative uses. "That's not what I designed it for." Tough. It's insanely versatile. Get used to it.   ;-)

You created a monster. Like Frankenstein's creation, you've lost control of it.     ;-)

Do NOT come off like George Lucas with his fans.    LOL

Sorry, but my mind is playing this out a bit. It's kind of funny.

When I first discovered that 175F was the preferred temperature, the tasters based their preference on espresso-strength brew made from French roast beans.  From time to time I wondered if we should repeat the tests with American strength (SCAA "Gold Cup", TDS=1.25%) and a lighter roast.  Well, we finally got a chance with two professional cuppers.  One about my age, the other about 30. The beans were Full City roast with just a hint of shine, but not oily.  The cups were pressed per our instructions, then diluted to exactly 1.25% TDS.

"We have both kinds of roasts -- Really dark, and dark."     ;-)

The taster's point counts were the sum of five criteria* and their scores were quite similar.  They both scored in this order:  

175F best
165F a close second place
185F third place

If 185F had outscored the lower temps, we would have tested higher temps.  But we didn't because it finished last.

You're an engineer. You know there are bimodal distributions (I'm not implying that there actually is one here, were you to survey a large sample -- I'm certainly asserting that it was not quite reasonable to assume there might not be one).

All joking aside, here I'm dead serious -- you should have known better. It's no good continuing to express your incredulity that a vast number of your device's users prefer coffee prepared at variance with your statistically darned low sample size. Mirabile dictu, it's the bloomin' SCAA starndard for temperature. Whodathunkit! And at much lighter roasts as well. George Howells we might not all be -- but relatively few people in specialty coffee gravitate toward the darkest roasts. It's no accident that lighter roasts profit from avoiding low-temperature excursions. Ergo, it's no accident that folks who don't prefer dark roasts, gravitate toward higher temps. QED.

In all good spirit of kinship in this craft, Alan, you should have known better. Am I wrong? Thank God you were iconoclast enough to strike out and create the darned thing. But some conventions encode for learned wisdom. Adventures beyond their bounds may be productive and discover that, to be sure, some traditions are gratuitous and do NOT encode for the wisdom of the ages (witness Ptolemaic astronomy). But just here I think the wisdom of SCAA temperature conventions is being validated -- folks are taking the Aeropress and, doggonit, running really hot water all over every part of the darned thing.

It's like some ritual of veneration.     ;-D
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
jpender
jpender

Posted Thu Feb 27, 2014, 7:13pm

I'd like to see a valve, but more than that I wish Alan would make an Aeropress that you could throw and would fly.
rasqual
rasqual

Espresso: *$ Barista, non-pressurized
Grinder: SMP
Vac Pot: Yama, Aeropress
Drip: Porcelain Melitta 103, Hario
Roaster: "ring roaster", mod popper
Posted Fri Feb 28, 2014, 3:11pm

That's the problem with things that inspire us; we become critical of how something so close to perfection can fall just short of it.   ;-D

Or worse, it really is as good as it can be, and then we become critical of all reality for not living up to its qualities.    LOL
AlanAdler
AlanAdler
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: AeroPress
Grinder: Baratza - Virtuoso
Roaster: Fresh Roast SR-500
Posted Sun Mar 9, 2014, 10:59am

jpender Said:

but more than that I wish Alan would make an Aeropress that you could throw and would fly.

Posted February 27, 2014 link

Here's how:

Put the AeroPress in a package addressed to someone at least 1,000 miles away, with appropriate postage stamps.  

Throw it into a mailbox.

Guaranteed to fly at Mach 0.7.

Alan
AlanAdler
AlanAdler
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: AeroPress
Grinder: Baratza - Virtuoso
Roaster: Fresh Roast SR-500
Posted Sun Mar 9, 2014, 11:12am

Responding to my esteemed friend and hacker Rasqual, who said I should have known better.  

Yes, I did know that people would hack the process.  How could I not know? I'm very-much a hacker.  All inventors are.  Without hacking there is no inventing.

But inventors try things to see how they work.  I tried AeroPressing for many  tasters at different temperatures to see what they liked.  Every single one preferred 175F or cooler.  

So when I read about people brewing at 205F, I wonder if they've ever tried 175F.

You may think that I'm a missionary for 175F.  But I'm just a messenger.  I observed the tasters preferring 175F and I'm reporting that.  If the tasters had preferred a gazillion degrees I would have reported that.

I'm only the messenger.  Don't shoot the messenger.

Alan
coffiend

Espresso: Oscar
Grinder: Rocky
Vac Pot: Bodum ESantos Mini
Posted Sun Mar 9, 2014, 4:46pm

I am quoting a post from jpender frm 2/23/14 (Chrome is having trouble using the quoting feature).

"I also have an old (now retired) plunger seal that became a sponge filled with what is possibly coffee oil. If I let it sit out unused for a week or two a very sticky goo will bead up on its surface. Attached is a photo I took of it after I'd left it untouched for about one month."

I'm having this same problem. I used the Aerobie for years exclusively, but when I inherited an Oscar would only use it occasionally for a change of pace.  This oily substance could neither be cleaned with a regular dish soap nor a solvent type cleaner, which was always great at cleaning coffee oils. After multiple cleanings, which did not remove this goo completely,  and using the press I encountered some intestinal distress. I am now afraid to use the Aerobie.  What could this oily substance possibly be?

Coffee UP!
CraigA
CraigA
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: PID/PressureMod 2001...
Grinder: BUNN FPG-2 DBC, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos manual, Yama 5...
Drip: Behmor BraZen, BUNN VPR-APS,...
Roaster: Refurb Behmor 1600, BBQ...
Posted Mon Mar 10, 2014, 10:12am

coffiend Said:

This oily substance could neither be cleaned with a regular dish soap nor a solvent type cleaner, which was always great at cleaning coffee oils. After multiple cleanings, which did not remove this goo completely,  and using the press I encountered some intestinal distress. I am now afraid to use the Aerobie.  What could this oily substance possibly be?

Posted March 9, 2014 link

That's the rubber plunger seal breaking down..

http://twitter.com/CoffeegeekCraig
http://www.facebook.com/craig.andrews.169
http://plus.google.com/u/0/100690035958728038289/posts/p/pub

Excellent coffee doesn't just happen!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
JKalpin
JKalpin

Espresso: Aerobie Aeropress
Grinder: Baratza Maestro Plus
Vac Pot: Yama 5-Cup
Drip: Krups Moka Brew, BraZen
Roaster: Freshroast+8, Behmor 1600+
Posted Mon Mar 10, 2014, 11:02am

AlanAdler Said:

Responding to my esteemed friend and hacker Rasqual, who said I should have known better.  

Yes, I did know that people would hack the process.  How could I not know? I'm very-much a hacker.  All inventors are.  Without hacking there is no inventing.

But inventors try things to see how they work.  I tried AeroPressing for many  tasters at different temperatures to see what they liked.  Every single one preferred 175F or cooler.

Posted March 9, 2014 link

Alan,

I recently did 3 roasts of an expensive Guat Gesha, hoping to find the aromatics and flavours claimed by the vendor.  I did most of it in my Aeropress at (I believe) 175F, inverted, 16g for an 8 oz mug and the results were strange:  no aroma, no bitter/brightness balance, no flavour.  Barely recognizeable as coffee.

Then, yesterday, I did a full pot, 65g for 1.2 litres, in my BraZen, at 204F.  It was just as bad.  My family would not drink it and neither could I.  

That, in a backhanded way, supports your argument.

(I have been able to use up the sample, in the Aeropress, upping it to 25g for an 8 oz mug.  It actually is coffee, but …pedestrian.)

Jerry
showing page 274 of 293 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Aerobie...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.41606593132)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+