Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Aerobie Aeropress
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Aerobie...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 5 of 288 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
AlanAdler
AlanAdler
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: AeroPress
Grinder: Baratza - Virtuoso
Roaster: Fresh Roast SR-500
Posted Sat Jan 21, 2006, 10:33am
Subject: Re: Aerobie Aeropress

Dear SSG James Hallahan,

Thank you for your kind words.   And please, please, stay alert and keep your head down.

Most of us here at home worry about you guys every single day.   And every day we hope that you will all come home intact and soon.

Best,

Alan
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
twalker294

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Aeropress
Grinder: Solis Maestro Classic
Vac Pot: Bodum Columbia FP
Posted Sun Jan 22, 2006, 2:30am

Alan,

I have been following the threads here on the Aeropress and I ordered mine on Friday. A quick question about water temp -- I use a Melitta electric kettle to heat my water for the french press. The kettle shuts off automatically once it boils. How long should I have to wait for it to cool off before it reaches the target temp of 165-175?

Second, I will likely be using it to make Americano primarily (although I will definitely experiment with espresso as well.) I make about 1.25 liters in my FP. Will the Aeropress make enough concentrate to make about the same volume of Americano and if not, how much will it make? What is the ratio of espresso concentrate to hot water that I should use for a good robust Americano?

Thanks much!
Todd Walker
AlanAdler
AlanAdler

Posted Sun Jan 22, 2006, 3:23am

Hi Todd,

A good robust Americano is probably at least Brix=2.  Three AeroPress scoops of grind (about 35g) will make about 400cc of brew total at Brix=2.

You can also try a quadruple, but use slightly hotter water because all the grind will cool the water.   In that case you can make about 530cc of brew.

Because of the inherrent smoothness of AeroPress brew, many people prefer  an even stronger Brix than they would with a French press.   If, for example, you find that you like Brix=3, then three scoops would make about 270cc of brew, or four scoops about 350cc.

You can learn more about Brix strength from my post here:

"Measuring Coffee Strength With A Brix Meter"

In the above post I gave a formula for the AeroPress:

Brix is approximately equal to 23 times (coffee weight) / (water weight)

To answer your question I transformed that to:

water weight is approximately equal to 23 times (coffee weight) / Brix

1.25 liters will require several pressings.   But each one only takes about a minute. The same would be true with a conventional espresso machine.

You can cool the boiling water by filling the plunger up to about 80% from the kettle, then adding a little cold water.   In this case you are using the plunger as a mixing and pouring cup.   Of course an ordinary measuring cup will work too.

I look forward to feedback, after you've tried this.

Regards,

Alan
jerseysteve

Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Sun Jan 22, 2006, 6:47am

Hi - Alan I am going to purchase the Aeropress today just wanted to know if you experminted making tea with the press?
 View Profile Link to this post
AlanAdler
AlanAdler

Posted Sun Jan 22, 2006, 10:32am

Hello jersysteve,

Yes, I do make tea in the AeroPress.  

To make coffee, the coffee and hot water are stirred together right in the AeroPress chamber.  But with tea, the water runs through too fast because there is too little tea and it's much looser than a bed of coffee.

So I simply stir the tea and hot water together in a measuring cup and let it steep for about a minute.   Then I pour the slurry into the AeroPress and press it through.  The result a very clean tea.

To make a reasonable portion of tea in the small AeroPress chamber, I brew it very strong, then dilute it after pressing - like the tea equivalent of an Americano.

Incidentally, tea experts will tell you the same trick that I've learned for coffee brewing; that is to use water at about 175F rather than boiling (212F).  Both tea and coffee taste best at that temperature.

Regards,

Alan
nonforma

Espresso: Starbucks Barista
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso
Vac Pot: Cona D
Drip: Krups Moka, AeroPress
Roaster: Gene Cafe
Posted Mon Jan 23, 2006, 1:00pm

My Aeropress arrived, but I only had time for 2 pressings. Both times I made iced lattes, and they were extremely smooth. I never liked the sediment of my French Press, and with this device there is absolutely none.

This is also the first time I brewed coffee while paying attention to temperature. Before, with my French Press, I would get the kettle running first so that by the time I was ready it had turned off and been sitting for a minute or so. That was still probably way too hot.

So this time I boiled water to 175 F. I used regular Starbucks beans in a blade grinder. My burr grinder is in the mail. I preheated the plunger and the tube since they were quite cold. It made a pretty good press! Comparable to drinks I buy from Starbucks, but a bit smoother. Since I was making a latte I might try a higher temp next time so it has more edge.

My only concern was the water leaking out before being plunged. It wasn't as bad the second time when I dribbled the water in slowly to wet the grinds. I might try two filters next time.

I'm probably going to do a full review and post it to my blog later.
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
AlanAdler
AlanAdler

Posted Mon Jan 23, 2006, 7:07pm

Hi nonforma,

I'm glad that you like your new AeroPress.  

The small amount that drips through the bed prior to pressing isn't significant.   You can prove that to yourself by making two pressings.   One standard, and a second by moving the AeroPress to a new cup just before pressing.   I predict that they'll both taste rich and smooth.

Regards,

Alan
counting

Posted Mon Jan 23, 2006, 9:06pm

Alan, did you notice a taste difference when you began using the Virtuoso grinder?
 View Profile Link to this post
AlanAdler
AlanAdler

Posted Mon Jan 23, 2006, 9:55pm

Hello Counting,

When I switched from the Baratza Maestro Plus to the Baratza Virtuoso, the first thing I noticed was that the Virtuoso grind uniformity was the best Iíd ever seen.  Its total lack of fine dust allowed easier pressings with no reduction in brew strength (as measured with my Brix meter).  The Virtuoso is also faster and quieter.   But my Maestro Plus is still an excellent grinder.  

The AeroPress is not grind-critical and I did not detect a difference in taste between the two.  But Iíve heard that with espresso machines, which are more grind-critical, the Virtuoso tastes especially good.

Both of my Baratza grinders retain only about a half-gram of residual grind.  I measure whole beans into the grinder with the AeroPress scoop, then grind and brew it all.  So I really appreciate Baratzaís low residual.

I measured five grams residual with the latest model Kitchen Aid Pro Line that I tested two months ago.  Iíve read other reviews which reported that the Mazzer and Rocky also retain five grams.  That's too much for my taste.

Incidentally, I returned the Kitchen Aid because it didnít grind fine enough.  On its finest (espresso) setting it was still coarser than proper drip grind and the Brix brew strength was only 77% of drip grind.   Yet despite being too coarse, there was enough fine dust to make pressing slow.

Iíve also tested some inexpensive burr grinders which had similar shortcomings.

Regards,

Alan
DavidMLewis

Espresso: Reneka Techno
Grinder: Versalab M3
Vac Pot: Hario Nouveau, Infuze
Drip: Clever
Roaster: Hottop, HWP
Posted Tue Jan 24, 2006, 4:40am

JPR Said:

it simply lacks brightness

Posted January 19, 2006 link

It seems to me that the AeroPress is just as sensitive as espresso is to the quality of the grinder. When I use it with a Zass Turkish, I don't get the brightness and aromatics that I do when I use a Capresso Infinity. The latter allows me to use a much finer grind without blocking the filter, and produces, to my taste, a far superior brew.

Best,
   David
showing page 5 of 288 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Aerobie...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.292614936829)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+