Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Aerobie Aeropress
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Aerobie...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 282 of 288 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
paulbel
paulbel
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: aeropress
Grinder: conical burr (cuisinart)
Drip: sometimes
Posted Sun Apr 27, 2014, 11:02am
Subject: Re: Aerobie Aeropress

TheoDickson Said:

..... I thought the point was simply to increase steeping time. ....- the measuring cup method would still cause some leakage during pouring and insertion.

Posted April 27, 2014 link

I think that the intent of Alan's invention (The Aeropress) was to make something that would allow a shorter steeping time, as with an espresso process. The AP pushes water quickly through the grounds. That's sort of the point.  It may be, TheoDickson, that you'd be happier with a French Press.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vintage La Pavoni Lever...
Grinder: Breville Smartgrind,...
Vac Pot: Vintage Silex, Nicro...
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: javaPRO-CRC AIR Fluid Bed...
Posted Sun Apr 27, 2014, 1:45pm

paulbel Said:

I think the question in at least some people's minds is: "is there any involvement with the rubber of the plunger?"

I am sure it is food grade rubber or the likes of it.  It is just a more porous surface for the coffee oil to initially cling to then accumulate upon itself.

Len

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

www.CoffeeRoastersClub.com     www.javaPRO-CRC.com     www.KaffeeFrisch.com
rasqual
rasqual

Espresso: *$ Barista, non-pressurized
Grinder: SMP
Vac Pot: Yama, Aeropress
Drip: Porcelain Melitta 103, Hario
Roaster: "ring roaster", mod popper
Posted Sun Apr 27, 2014, 9:48pm

Well, Alan seems at least somewhat concerned about it.

Let's put it this way -- it would be weird for folks to be paranoid about BPAs in the Aeropress generation 1, and then shrug off waxy, un-coffeelike grime that seems to emerge spontaneously only from plungers that have been used a lot in inverted fashion, thus exposing them to hotter water more frequently.

Again, Alan's concern before mine.

And as for inversion -- argh. I'll never see the end of myths about the purpose of this. I shake my head.   ;-)
rhyven
rhyven

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Piccolo
Grinder: Breville Smart Ginder
Drip: Aeropress
Roaster: Weka Coffee, NZ  ;-)
Posted Mon Apr 28, 2014, 2:47am

rasqual Said:

I find that utterly implausible as a sufficient explanation for what I'm seeing. No way. Utterly no way possible.
Alan? How "waxy" was that puck?

Posted April 25, 2014 link

rasqual Said:

Let's put it this way -- it would be weird for folks to be paranoid about BPAs in the Aeropress generation 1, and then shrug off waxy, un-coffeelike grime that seems to emerge spontaneously only from plungers that have been used a lot in inverted fashion, thus exposing them to hotter water more frequently.

Hi everyone!  It's been years since I've posted, but I've been following this thread since the very beginning, and the rubber goo question got me.  I've experienced this goop, and I totally agree with Rasqual here.  

Alan, the stuff I had here was completely impervious to all of my efforts, including plenty of dish liquid, and XtremeClean (which is one of those "citrus-based" d-Limonene degreaser/cleaners).

Neither of those worked, at any temperature, duration, or any dilution.  In the end, I needed to scrub it with a scouring pad saturated in undiluted dish liquid, which got most of it off.... and the next day, it was back.

I'm echoing the 'utterly implausible' statement put forward by Rasqual - I cannot fathom this simply being coffee oil build-up.  Unfortunately, I ended up throwing my one out, so I can't even ship it back to Alan for analysis.

Lastly (and importantly):  I never brew inverted, and I rinse my Aeropress thoroughly after every use.  So it's not confined just to inverted brewing.
 View Profile Link to this post
CaptainCowPie
CaptainCowPie
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Mypressi Twist
Grinder: Super Jolly
Vac Pot: Not Yet
Drip: Aeropress & Bonavita...
Roaster: Heat Gun / Bread Machine
Posted Mon Apr 28, 2014, 6:18am

I have had two Aeropresses, and have never had any problem with the goo. I almost always brew inverted, do a quick rinse, and then wipe the bottom of the plunger with a paper towel. Every few weeks I will do a more thorough cleaning with hot soapy water. Surprisingly my plunger looks almost like it is new, even after I can't say how many years of daily use.

So wiping the plunger after each use might be the answer. Can others who have gotten the goo elaborate on their cleaning methods?

Vince

CoffeeRoastersClub Said:

Coffee goo is a bit general.  I think you will find it is mostly composed of coffee oils that accumulate after a few uses.  Most people probably just give the end a quick rinse and no wipe down, so the oils stick to the rubber end and any water left on it evaporates and leaves the oil behind.  A few times of this and you see the slimy waxy deposit.  The way to prevent this is after slunging the coffee grounds out of the aeropress, take the plunger out and rinse then give it a good towel dry and wipe off around that area.

coffiend

Espresso: Oscar
Grinder: Rocky
Vac Pot: Bodum ESantos Mini
Posted Mon Apr 28, 2014, 8:06am

I have to echo rhyvens' experience. In my case I never used the inverted method and cleaned all parts of the apparatus, after each use, with a solvent based cleaner that cut through regular coffee oils with ease. .This waxy substance was on a whole 'nother level. It resembled axle grease in its resistance to either soap or the alkaline cleaner that I used. It required vigorous multiple scrubbings with an abrasive pad that had to be thrown away afterwards.  And then the goo would return. This was after many years of usage so I was not bothered at all to have to replace this part for $4, shipped..

Coffee UP!
coffiend

Espresso: Oscar
Grinder: Rocky
Vac Pot: Bodum ESantos Mini
Posted Mon Apr 28, 2014, 8:06am

I have to echo rhyvens' experience. In my case I never used the inverted method and cleaned all parts of the apparatus, after each use, with a solvent based cleaner that cut through regular coffee oils with ease. .This waxy substance was on a whole 'nother level. It resembled axle grease in its resistance to either soap or the alkaline cleaner that I used. It required vigorous multiple scrubbings with an abrasive pad that had to be thrown away afterwards.  And then the goo would return. This was after many years of usage so I was not bothered at all to have to replace this part for $4, shipped..

Coffee UP!
paulbel
paulbel

Espresso: aeropress
Grinder: conical burr (cuisinart)
Drip: sometimes
Posted Mon Apr 28, 2014, 9:25am

Well, this is just another data point. I've had my Aeropress since 2009. I rarely brew inverted (maybe a total of 10 times, to check it out). I tend to follow Alan's recommendation for cooler (175) water.  I don't steep a long time.  I don't make a big fuss of cleaning up - just rinse after use and air dry.  And I don't see any wax, or goo.   Yet.   If I did, I think I'd freak out, send it to Alan and see what he had to say.
jpender
jpender
Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: OE LIDO
Vac Pot: S/S Moka Pot
Posted Mon Apr 28, 2014, 10:00am

I had an old plunger that was exuding this stuff. I could clean it with a strong detergent and a lot of effort but the gooey substance would spontaneously emerge if the plunger was left alone. I retired it last December, gave it a good cleaning so that it appeared dry and then set it on a shelf. A month later it was coated with the stuff. It is very viscous and sticky. You don't want to get it on your fingers. The obvious solution is to replace the plunger. Mine was already at the point where it wouldn't seal reliably without being warmed with hot water first. It's a disposable part on a disposable brewing device, at least in my opinion. I've gone through two plungers and two Aeropress cylinders in the last three years.

jpender: AP_plunger_goo_Apr2014.jpg
(Click for larger image)
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vintage La Pavoni Lever...
Grinder: Breville Smartgrind,...
Vac Pot: Vintage Silex, Nicro...
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: javaPRO-CRC AIR Fluid Bed...
Posted Mon Apr 28, 2014, 10:42am

jpender Said:

I had an old plunger that was exuding this stuff. I could clean it with a strong detergent and a lot of effort but the gooey substance would spontaneously emerge if the plunger was left alone. I retired it last December, gave it a good cleaning so that it appeared dry and then set it on a shelf. A month later it was coated with the stuff. It is very viscous and sticky. You don't want to get it on your fingers. The obvious solution is to replace the plunger. Mine was already at the point where it wouldn't seal reliably without being warmed with hot water first. It's a disposable part on a disposable brewing device, at least in my opinion. I've gone through two plungers and two Aeropress cylinders in the last three years.

Posted April 28, 2014 link

Now that is very interesting.  Do you recall what the residue smelled like?  Rubbery or coffee like?

Len

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

www.CoffeeRoastersClub.com     www.javaPRO-CRC.com     www.KaffeeFrisch.com
showing page 282 of 288 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Aerobie...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.415536880493)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+