Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Aerobie Aeropress
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Aerobie...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 278 of 289 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
jpender
jpender
Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: OE LIDO
Vac Pot: S/S Moka Pot
Drip: Aeropress
Posted Wed Apr 2, 2014, 2:31pm
Subject: Re: Aerobie Aeropress

AlanAdler Said:

Recently I bought a few IR thermometers.  Their instructions say they are not accurate on liquids, but I found one ("Extech Dual Laser") which could be adjusted to read liquids accurately.  It's no faster than dipping a thermocouple, but a tad cleaner.

Posted March 31, 2014 link

That sounds like a fun toy. How accurate is it? Their website says 1C repeatability and 2.5C accuracy.
What's the emissivity of coffee?
 View Profile Link to this post
AlanAdler
AlanAdler
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: AeroPress
Grinder: Baratza - Virtuoso
Roaster: Fresh Roast SR-500
Posted Wed Apr 2, 2014, 9:24pm

jpender Said:

That sounds like a fun toy. How accurate is it? Their website says 1C repeatability and 2.5C accuracy.
What's the emissivity of coffee?

Posted April 2, 2014 link

I don't know how accurate it is.  I simply turned the emissivity adjustment until it read the same as my thermocouple with approximately 175F water.

This link Click Here (www.omega.com)
says that the emissivity of water at 100F (38C) is 0.67.  American coffee is 98.7% water.

Another source says e=0.96 at "ambient" temperature.

Click Here (www.eumetcal.org)
A scary graph showing wild changes in emissivity between wavelengths of 2 and 4 microns.

All of this suggests that the makers are right to discourage its application to liquids.  Perhaps I should return to dipping a thermocouple.

Best,

Alan
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
jpender
jpender

Posted Thu Apr 3, 2014, 9:22pm

AlanAdler Said:

I simply turned the emissivity adjustment until it read the same as my thermocouple with approximately 175F water.

Posted April 2, 2014 link

What emissivity was that?
AlanAdler
AlanAdler
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: AeroPress
Grinder: Baratza - Virtuoso
Roaster: Fresh Roast SR-500
Posted Tue Apr 8, 2014, 3:44pm

jpender Said:

What emissivity was that?

Posted April 3, 2014 link

jpender
jpender

Posted Tue Apr 8, 2014, 5:25pm

AlanAdler Said:

Posted April 8, 2014 link

Curious. I looked at those links you posted above. The value of 0.67 @ 100F is reproduced on many web sites but I also found web sites that contradicted this and stated that the 100F emissivity is 0.93 or 0.96. That second link I couldn't quite understand but it appears to be a graph of reflectance not emissivity. With zero transmission that would imply emissivity of 0.95 or above regardless of angle of incidence. The IR thermometers I found specs for read in the 8-14m range.

That's interesting that some of the manufacturers warn that measuring liquids might be inaccurate. One maker (Scigene) recommends using a cup of cold water to verify the accuracy of the device!

In the case of your 175F cup of coffee maybe the condensing droplets of steam coming off the surface are affecting the measurement. The steam droplets would be somewhat colder than the coffee. Could that explain why you need to adjust the emissivity downward? I'd love to play with an IR thermometer (or better still an IR camera), but usually I measure my coffee with a cheap probe thermometer. When I want better accuracy I have a $13 thermistor that's good to 0.1C.

I was looking for some information about the Aeropress yesterday and came across this photo:

jpender: aerobie.jpg
(Click for larger image)
MassWineGuy

Posted Thu Apr 10, 2014, 1:45pm

I just found this thread and while I'm sure I've missed a lot, I'd be grateful for some basic info. I just received an Aeropress as a gift and made a couple of cups this morning. I typically use a 32 oz. French press with about 7 scoops of beans in a 2 TBSP scoop and let it steep for six minutes. I always add milk and sugar, too. I get strong, flavorful, smooth coffee.

After following the written directions and adding water to what the Aeropress brewed, the coffee was pretty good, but blander than I like it. Should I just experiment using more coffee, more water, ? I roast my own beans so I know the coffee is fresh.

Thanks for your help and patience.

Oh, and Alan, I think the Aeropress is one of the absolute most elegant, sparse and functional devices I've ever seen.
paulbel
paulbel
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: aeropress
Grinder: conical burr (cuisinart)
Drip: sometimes
Posted Thu Apr 10, 2014, 1:55pm

Welcome, MassWineGuy!

The Aeropress works best with finer grinds, shorter immersion times (and, arguably cooler water) and tends toward smoother coffee in my experience. If you're finding it bland that may be because you like the kind of flavour you get from letting the grounds sit in the water in the French Press for a rather long time.

I'd suggest starting with getting your grind as fine as possible. Then, increase the stirring and pressing time (and that might entail using hotter water). Try adding less hot water at the end.  And finally experiment with the roast. I personally find the AP shines with lighter roasts, but that might not be to your taste.
rasqual
rasqual

Espresso: *$ Barista, non-pressurized
Grinder: SMP
Vac Pot: Yama, Aeropress
Drip: Porcelain Melitta 103, Hario
Roaster: "ring roaster", mod popper
Posted Thu Apr 10, 2014, 5:20pm

Wow, thanks for posting that picture. It led me to this great article.

http://priceonomics.com/the-invention-of-the-aeropress/

Heheh. The lead picture is inverted.

LOL
paulbel
paulbel

Espresso: aeropress
Grinder: conical burr (cuisinart)
Drip: sometimes
Posted Thu Apr 10, 2014, 6:16pm

Thanks for the pointer, rasqual! That was fun to read.
And I had no idea this was the talkin'est topic in CoffeeGeek.
jpender
jpender

Posted Thu Apr 10, 2014, 6:31pm

I like that picture of the somewhat younger and also somewhat more haired Adler tossing his iconic flying disk. That is very much like the Aeropress, although one can't literally toss it (as much as I wish it were otherwise).

I have accidentally clicked on the first page of this thread many times and re-read Zeb Wagner's initial post. It more or less said it all in just a few hundred words.

Just a flick of the wrist.
showing page 278 of 289 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Aerobie...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.400199174881)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+