Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Clarity v. Presto
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Clarity v....  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
Lefty69

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Expobar Pulser
Grinder: Mazzer Mini, Capresso...
Vac Pot: B&D Infuze
Drip: Melitta Clarity,
Roaster: GG/SC Combo, Behmor
Posted Fri May 13, 2005, 7:50am
Subject: Clarity v. Presto

This past weekend I hosted a Mothers Day brunch.  I do not have a drip maker at home. so I borrowed my Mother-in Law's Clarity that I had given to her for Xmas ( I had purchased two, one for myself, but the one I kept was defective).  Rather than have to dial back in my Mini, I just used her blade grinder to make coffee.  The coffee used was a PNG from the co-op roasted the day before.  The brewed results were very good.

Same coffee, 2 days later, Capresso Infinity grinder, and presto, brewed in the office.  Coffee was a bit bitter with a lot less brightness, not nearly as tasty.

What is going on here...?  Some thoughts...probably not the grinder.  Maybe 2 days more age of the coffee would result in less brightness, but not likely to cause bitter.  Presto might be brewing at a higher temp than the Clarity, accounts for less acidity and more bitter, right?  Last issue might be the quality of the water used.  Office water is not so good, as far as taste, but would this cause a change in acidity and bitterness.

I have never tasted coffee from a Clarity until this past weekend, so I don't know if this is a one-timer, or how it always has been...

Any thoughts?

Eric
 View Profile Link to this post
CraigA
CraigA

Espresso: PID/PressureMod 2001...
Grinder: BUNN FPG-2 DBC, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos manual, Yama 5...
Drip: Behmor BraZen, BUNN VPR-APS,...
Roaster: Refurb Behmor 1600, BBQ...
Posted Fri May 13, 2005, 8:26am
Subject: Re: Clarity v. Presto

Hi Eric, what level would you say the roast is/was? Lighter roasts prefer hotter brewing temps, & darker roasts cooler temps.

http://twitter.com/CoffeegeekCraig
http://www.facebook.com/craig.andrews.169

Excellent coffee doesn't just happen!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
ChrisatCafeGreenBean
ChrisatCafeGreenBean
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Pasquini Livia 90
Grinder: Mazzer Mini & Super Jolly
Vac Pot: None
Drip: Technivorm & Bunn Commercial
Roaster: SC/CO, BBQ Drum, Popper
Posted Fri May 13, 2005, 8:39am

I think you have too many variables.

If you want to do it correctly, you need a side by side comparison where the only variable is the machine itself.  That will tell you a lot more that can be considered accurate.

Coffee Link Central - www.coffeelinkcentral.com
Cafe Green Bean - www.cafegreenbean.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
rokerij
rokerij

Espresso: Gaggia Espresso
Grinder: Rocky
Vac Pot: Bodum Chambord FP
Drip: Presto
Roaster: not hardcore yet
Posted Fri May 13, 2005, 11:45am

ChrisatCafeGreenBean Said:

I think you have too many variables.

If you want to do it correctly, you need a side by side comparison where the only variable is the machine itself.  That will tell you a lot more that can be considered accurate.

Posted May 13, 2005 link

you hit the nail with the hammer

so to speak
CraigA
CraigA

Posted Fri May 13, 2005, 12:25pm

Yes, & you still didn't answer my question..

View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
Lefty69

Posted Fri May 13, 2005, 12:35pm

Craig,  The coffee was a bit of a melange, but I would approximate the majority of the roast to be at FC+.  It was roasted in a hot air popper rather than my std SC/GG setup with the intent of trying to retain the brightness of the coffee.  This was unfortunately only my second try, done in two batches, resulting in the melange.

Chris, I agree with looking at one variable at a time, but that is not likely to happen as the Clarity is not mine and no longer in my posession.  I also do not plan on hauling grinder and Presto home to do proper testing, as you suggest.  

This is not a high priority since I really do not drink a whole lot of drip coffee, and so I was just trying to see if anyone had any suggestions that i could try without investing a whole lot of time.

I will probably attempt to measure water temp of the presto while at work.  I see brew temp as the the most likely culprit.  The roast was not that old in either case, and I used a far superior grinder with the presto.  Bad water might impart a negative taste, but not likely change the taste of the coffee...

Eric
CraigA
CraigA

Posted Fri May 13, 2005, 12:38pm

Thanks Eric!

Lefty69

Posted Fri May 13, 2005, 12:45pm

Craig, sorry my response took so long,  I left the house for a few hours to take care of some grocery shopping!!  Any thoughts...?

Eric
CraigA
CraigA

Posted Fri May 13, 2005, 12:55pm

Lefty69 Said:

Craig, sorry my response took so long,  I left the house for a few hours to take care of some grocery shopping!!  Any thoughts...?

Eric

Posted May 13, 2005 link

Sorry Eric I didn't mean to be impatient. {:-)
Me too!, & I had a 30 lb green coffee order to post. Well, what the other people said is true, but it'd be good to see what the temps are at the brewhead from both machines.

ChrisatCafeGreenBean
ChrisatCafeGreenBean

Espresso: Pasquini Livia 90
Grinder: Mazzer Mini & Super Jolly
Vac Pot: None
Drip: Technivorm & Bunn Commercial
Roaster: SC/CO, BBQ Drum, Popper
Posted Fri May 13, 2005, 2:16pm

Lefty69 Said:

Eric

Posted May 13, 2005 link

Knowing both machines pretty well, I would probably look at the water itself first.  Unless one of the units is defective, the brew temps are probably pretty decent.  But what Craig suggests would be wise too - measure the water temp to make sure.

You can also see some observations of my own on these coffeemakers as well as others at http://www.coffeelinkcentral.com/mystuff

Chris

Coffee Link Central - www.coffeelinkcentral.com
Cafe Green Bean - www.cafegreenbean.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Clarity v....  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.330710172653)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+