Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Can a high quality drip brew as good as a french press/vac pot
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Can a high...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
mswanson

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: S1 Vidaldi 2
Grinder: Mini
Vac Pot: I have one
Drip: Nope
Roaster: Heat gun!
Posted Wed May 4, 2005, 8:26am
Subject: Can a high quality drip brew as good as a french press/vac pot

Not to start a "best brewing method" war, but I have been using the french press and vac pot for a number of years and I have a certain taste that I like.

Assuming that the drip machine is of high quality and brews at the proper temp...

A drip has the possible advantages that it's:
  • Easier to operate (also, easy for non-experienced)
  • Easier to clean up (maybe)
  • Larger amounts of coffee can be brewed
  • Can be brewed right into a thermal pot

The disadvantages are:
  • Cost of machine
  • Cost of filters
  • Electricity

So, my questions are, can a high quality drip machine compete with a vac pot in taste?  Is there any other disadvantages that I'm missing?
 View Profile Link to this post
33rpm
33rpm
Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: Capresso Infinity (brushed)
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos manual
Drip: Bodum Press, Presto...
Roaster: Hearthware i-Roast2
Posted Wed May 4, 2005, 10:14am
Subject: Re: Can a high quality drip brew as good as a french press/vac pot

I am very new to highend coffee. I have been using a Presto Scandinavian (1.5 months) & roasting my own beans (2.5 weeks) and loving the taste. 1 week ago switched from an inexpensive DeLonghi burr grinder to a Capresso Infinity and that made a big difference in the flavor.

Yesterday I found a Bodum french press at a thrift store brand new for $3.00 and thought I would try it. I just finished drinking my first attempt with the Bodum and the difference is amazing. I may only use the Presto in an emergency.

I'm not sure about the Presto vs. the Technivorm, I think they are close by all I've read here. I only know that I was bidding on a Bosch Porsche coffee maker on eBay this past weekend and am very happy someone out bid me at the end.

Today I am ordering a Bodum Santos vac pot to try.
CraigA
CraigA

Espresso: PID/PressureMod 2001...
Grinder: BUNN FPG-2 DBC, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos manual, Yama 5...
Drip: Behmor BraZen, BUNN VPR-APS,...
Roaster: Refurb Behmor 1600, BBQ...
Posted Wed May 4, 2005, 11:18am

The Melitta Clarity is an excellent brewer that is the neck to neck equivalent of the Technivorm Mocca Master CD, that lists for $199 US for a fraction of the price! The prices have ranges from a blowout price on QVC of $16.34 & their regular price of $36.25 to  $19.95 - $27 from Chefs, to a high of $59.99 from Apex Stores]., but they are all gone/sold out from all 3.

Sometimes the odd one or 2 trickle back into stock at QVC due to cancelled orders, checks not clearing, not suitable for that person, etc.

CraigA: k3334.jpg
(Click for larger image)

http://twitter.com/CoffeegeekCraig
http://www.facebook.com/craig.andrews.169

Excellent coffee doesn't just happen!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
cafedj

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Bialetti, Aeropress
Grinder: Rocky doserless
Vac Pot: Bodum
Drip: Behmor Brazen
Roaster: Counter Culture
Posted Wed May 4, 2005, 11:55am

can a high quality drip machine compete with a vac pot in taste?

That completely depends on your personal taste and preferences.  Each brewing method has it's own distinct flavor profile.  You won't find a drip machine that matches the particular flavor of French press or vac pot, but there are some very good drip machines.

As far as the closest drip to vac pot I would strongly recommend you consider the Krups Moka Brew.  A search on these forums will turn up many posts on this machine, and there's also a complete Coffeegeek review.

Of all the drip machines I've tried it produces by far the richest, most complex, satisfying cup.  A bit of tweaking of the grind and coffee amount is often necessary to get the very best results, but it's well worth the effort.
CraigA
CraigA

Posted Wed May 4, 2005, 12:06pm

cafedj Said:

Of all the drip machines I've tried it produces by far the richest, most complex, satisfying cup.  A bit of tweaking of the grind and coffee amount is often necessary to get the very best results, but it's well worth the effort.

Hi D,

The Krups Moka Brew isn't a drip machine, but a pressure brewer under 1.2 bars. It works on the same principal of say a Bialetti moka pot. I have one also & it's an excellent machine with its own flavor profile. Sort of a combination of drip, vac, moka pot, kinda hard to explain.

I love it!  {;-)

View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
cafedj

Posted Wed May 4, 2005, 1:56pm

I certainly agree that the Moka Brew is not technically just a standard drip machine, and also that it's got its own flavor profile.

To my taste though it produces a cup that is closer to a vac pot brew than to what I get out of my Bialetti Brikka moka pot.

For someone seeking the very best drip coffee, and particularly coming at it with the long press and vac pot experience described in the original post, it's definitely worth considering.
CraigA
CraigA

Posted Wed May 4, 2005, 3:08pm

cafedj Said:

For someone seeking the very best drip coffee, and particularly coming at it with the long press and vac pot experience described in the original post, it's definitely worth considering.

Yes, I agree!, I thought I said that. {;-)

mswanson

Espresso: S1 Vidaldi 2
Grinder: Mini
Vac Pot: I have one
Drip: Nope
Roaster: Heat gun!
Posted Wed May 4, 2005, 3:15pm

Thanks for all the suggestions.  I'll check out the suggestions.

BTW, I didn't mean for my post to sound like I had alot of experience, the opposite is the truth
its just that I am ready to try something new, and I didn't want to drop $200 on a really good drip if it wouldn't compete with what I have been use to

:)
cafedj

Posted Thu May 5, 2005, 7:37am

Sorry Craig, I mis-read your post to say the Krups brew was similar to a Bialetti moka pot.

It's good to agree. ;-)
CremaGuy

Espresso: Anita HX
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky
Drip: Pitcher/Strnr, Presto...
Roaster: P1 Poppery (modified), FR+...
Posted Thu May 5, 2005, 9:47am

mswanson Said:

...I have been using the french press and vac pot for a number of years and I have a certain taste that I like....
 ....So, my questions are, can a high quality drip machine compete with a vac pot in taste?  Is there any other disadvantages that I'm missing?

Posted May 4, 2005 link

I think that the direct answer to your question is that a high quality drip machine can compete with a vac pot or french press but there is a tradeoff.   Leaving the coarse grounds immersed in the high-temp water for 3-4 minutes extracts flavors that just aren't extracted by the flow-through drip process.   You'll notice the difference  but it's not like the difference between fresh and stale coffee (or low-temp drip).  Drip coffee from a high quality machine is still good coffee (assuming fresh, properly ground and roasted beans).  All else being equal, French Press or VacPot is a small step up from good drip and Espresso is a large step up from Drip, FP or VP.

Patrick
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Can a high...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Don't suffer bad espresso
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, VBM, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.305512189865)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+