Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
What a mess...
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > What a mess...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 4 of 4 first page previous page
Author Messages
PJK
PJK
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Rancillo Silvia, Tonic...
Grinder: Modified Rocky, Elma side...
Vac Pot: Old Silex
Drip: Melitta BCM 4  +Some old...
Roaster: Hottop, Modified Z&D,...
Posted Tue May 3, 2005, 12:47am
Subject: Re: What a mess...

Here is the next picture.  It shows the grounds box out of the machine and open.

Buy the way the mod does nothing about the need for ear protection when using this machine.

Phil

PJK: MVC-002S.JPG
(Click for larger image)

Philip J. Keleshian
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
PJK
PJK

Posted Tue May 3, 2005, 12:49am

Here is the machine with the foil lined grounds box.

PJK: MVC-003S.JPG
(Click for larger image)

Philip J. Keleshian
PJK
PJK

Posted Tue May 3, 2005, 12:52am

Here is the grounds box out of the machine and open.

Note that the foil goes on the inside of the box and there is foil to foil contact when the lid is in place.

PJK: MVC-004S.JPG
(Click for larger image)

Philip J. Keleshian
Mattizzle

Grinder: Solis  Maestro
Drip: Technivorm KBT-741
Posted Tue May 3, 2005, 9:18am

Happyboy Said:

Sorry if this idea was already posted, but I used to use a damp paper towel and let it fall over the bin as I would pull it out.  That always seemed to work for me.  No mess and no "scented coffee."

Posted April 29, 2005 link

Good idea - I'll try it!
 View Profile Link to this post
Mattizzle

Posted Tue May 3, 2005, 9:30am

PJK Said:

Here is the grounds box out of the machine and open.

Note that the foil goes on the inside of the box and there is foil to foil contact when the lid is in place.

Posted May 3, 2005 link

Thanks a ton for all of your effort on this PJK.  I think your results look great!  Though the fix requires a little extra effort up front, once it is done I won't have to worry about it anymore.

I wonder if anyone from Solis looks at these forums.  I mean, come on guys, how about solving this simple problem at the manufacturer?  Stop leaving it up to the consumer to hack around your design flaws!

-M
PJK
PJK

Posted Tue May 3, 2005, 11:24am

Hi Matt,

Since the machine itself is the lid of the grounds box in the Solis (at least in my old model) you should probably cover the roof of the cavity into which the grounds box fits with foil.  When you cover the inside of the grounds box with foil have it wrap over the top edge such that it contacts the foil on roof of the cavity.

All of this makes my wonder why if corn and cat food can be sold in metalic containers what excuse can the manifacturers of these grinders give for their plastic grounds boxes.

Phil

Mattizzle Said:

Thanks a ton for all of your effort on this PJK.  I think your results look great!  Though the fix requires a little extra effort up front, once it is done I won't have to worry about it anymore.

I wonder if anyone from Solis looks at these forums.  I mean, come on guys, how about solving this simple problem at the manufacturer?  Stop leaving it up to the consumer to hack around your design flaws!

-M

Posted May 3, 2005 link

Philip J. Keleshian
Mattizzle

Posted Tue May 3, 2005, 12:03pm

PJK Said:

Hi Matt,

Since the machine itself is the lid of the grounds box in the Solis (at least in my old model) you should probably cover the roof of the cavity into which the grounds box fits with foil.  When you cover the inside of the grounds box with foil have it wrap over the top edge such that it contacts the foil on roof of the cavity.

All of this makes my wonder why if corn and cat food can be sold in metalic containers what excuse can the manifacturers of these grinders give for their plastic grounds boxes.

Phil

Posted May 3, 2005 link

---

Yeah, here is a picture of the grounds box.

It's rounded (of course) to ensure lining it will be tedious and painful.  What I found when I tried to line it with foil was that the container is a tight fit, not allowing much room for wrapping foil over the top edge.  We'll see....
PJK
PJK

Posted Thu May 12, 2005, 4:01pm

I was drinking a can of V-8 juce when a thought hit me.  The lid of this can could be cut off with an Exacto knife and the sharp edges ground with a Dremel.

The can is too tall for my old Solis (*$barista) but with some ~ 1" thick packing foam it should be a nice fit in a newer Solis.

It is crude but it is simple.

It is a 5.5 oz. can.

Phil

Mattizzle Said:

---

Yeah, here is a picture of the grounds box.

It's rounded (of course) to ensure lining it will be tedious and painful.  What I found when I tried to line it with foil was that the container is a tight fit, not allowing much room for wrapping foil over the top edge.  We'll see....

Posted May 3, 2005 link

PJK: MVC-017S.JPG
(Click for larger image)

Philip J. Keleshian
showing page 4 of 4 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > What a mess...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.347181081772)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+