Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
What a mess...
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > What a mess...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
earlds
earlds
Posted Fri Apr 29, 2005, 7:51am
Subject: Re: What a mess...

Hello M,,..Im not sure that my Solis Maestro Plus is the same as your Maestro T classic .If not this may not help..But I use my Maestro for my wifes drip coffee.I have noticed that some store beans come with a great deal of chaff mixed up in them..this is when I get a little mess.But I would try a different brand before taking drastic measures.I havent felt like static is a problem with mine..Home roasting helps of course but you may not want to do that..I think that grinding coffee is going to be a bit messy anyway you slice it.Im sure you will develope a system of controling the mess with practice. Tell me this please..Is the Technivorm as good as they say...Earl D.....
 View Profile Link to this post
JR
JR
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Old Coffee Gaggia (x2.5)
Grinder: Cunill Tranquilo
Drip: Bona Vita (Thermal)
Roaster: GG/UFO
Posted Fri Apr 29, 2005, 8:44am

earlds Said:

Hello M,,..Im not sure that my Solis Maestro Plus is the same as your Maestro T classic .If not this may not help..But I use my Maestro for my wifes drip coffee.I have noticed that some store beans come with a great deal of chaff mixed up in them..this is when I get a little mess.But I would try a different brand before taking drastic measures.I havent felt like static is a problem with mine..Home roasting helps of course but you may not want to do that..I think that grinding coffee is going to be a bit messy anyway you slice it.Im sure you will develope a system of controling the mess with practice. Tell me this please..Is the Technivorm as good as they say...Earl D.....

Posted April 29, 2005 link

Edit: Comment retracted.  I'd delete if I could.  Was just trying to keep the thread on its original topic.

Jack

www.PainFreeComputing.com
http://www.GaggiaUsersGroup.com
www.IsuzuPup.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Mattizzle

Grinder: Solis  Maestro
Drip: Technivorm KBT-741
Posted Fri Apr 29, 2005, 9:07am

Okay, so I guess I was on the right track then.  It does make more sense to me that the foil reside in the container itself since that is where the static resides.  You're not only a coffee afficianado, but an electrical engineer as well!  A good person to have on this thread ;)

Thanks for the advise.  BTW - how the heck can a regular guy (such as myself) make (or have made) a metal grounds container?  

-M

PJK Said:

Hi M,

Sorry I got a bit distracted by the static talk in Jim's Rocky and what I did to improve mine.  The dosing chamber and doser shaft are parts of the infernal doser on the Rocky.  A canning funnel is a funnel intended for getting fruit into a jar during  canning.  It turns out that it is one of my very useful coffee tools.  I had one modified to fit into my Rocky.

OK back to the Solis.  The grounds hopper which I refered to is the receptical into which the ground coffee falls.

I think you want the inside of that container to be electrically conductive to drain off what charge may be on the coffee grounds.  Covering the outside of the container with foil can make the situation worse since the plastic is a dielectric (insulator).  

I think Jim's suggestion of connecting the foil which is to line the inside of the grounds hopper to the frame of the machine is a good one.  That way the inside of the grounds hopper will be at the same potential as the inerds of the machine.  It may be a bit difficult to do and will make the construction of a metal grounds hopper more attractive.  Also the machine has a two wire cord.  If you connect the now conductive grounds hopper to the inside of the machine you should replace the cord with a three wire cord with the green wire connected to the machine frame.  This is for safety.

I would try lining the inside of the hopper with foil first.  If that makes a sufficient improvment, I wouldn't mess with the inside of the machine.

Phil

coffee_monkey

Espresso: Isomac Rituale, FE-AR...
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Hario MSC-2
Vac Pot: Hario TCA-2
Drip: Hario DPW-1
Posted Fri Apr 29, 2005, 11:02am

I think this has already been mentioned in a earlier post... You can buy metallic tapes. If you tape the inside of the container w/ that, you will get a conductive surface.

www.barismo.com
Happyboy

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Expobar Lever, Gaggia...
Grinder: Mazzer Mini, Solis Maestro
Vac Pot: Kona
Drip: French Press, KMB,...
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Fri Apr 29, 2005, 11:12am

Sorry if this idea was already posted, but I used to use a damp paper towel and let it fall over the bin as I would pull it out.  That always seemed to work for me.  No mess and no "scented coffee."

-Christopher Robbins
 View Profile Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
PJK
PJK

Espresso: Rancillo Silvia, Tonic...
Grinder: Modified Rocky, Elma side...
Vac Pot: Old Silex
Drip: Melitta BCM 4  +Some old...
Roaster: Hottop, Modified Z&D,...
Posted Fri Apr 29, 2005, 3:34pm

I have pondered this question myself with regards to the *$ grinder which is basicly a Solis166 rebadged.  What I was leaning to was to cut some rectangular sections out of 1/8" mild steel and braze them together into a rectangular box.  The plastic box in the Solis 166 has a curved front and rear but a rectangular box would fit the cavity in the machine and the grounds would drop into it.

The grounds box on the newer Solis is different.  I don't know if a simple rectangular box will fit without the machine in front of me.

The problem in my *$ isn't all that bad so I never got around to it.  

If I had thought about the sticky back foil at the time I would have done it.

This weekend we are going to my daughter's house where I have a Melitta POC
Van de Graff burr grinder.  This thing is second only to the Braun KMM30 in its ability to spread coffee grounds over the kitchen.  It is also close in its ability to cause hearing loss.
I will take some sticky back aluminum foil and an Exacto knife with me and see if I can civilize the nasty thing.

Phil

Philip J. Keleshian
Mattizzle

Grinder: Solis  Maestro
Drip: Technivorm KBT-741
Posted Sat Apr 30, 2005, 3:01pm

Schwa Said:

I wet my fingers and play with the beans before grinding. Works like a charm.

Posted April 28, 2005 link

Okay, I didn't wet my fingers, nor did I play with my beans... <clear-throat/> But I did add a few drops of water to the beans before grinding and that solved the problem!

Thanks all!

M
scubadoo97
scubadoo97

Espresso: Solis SL70
Grinder: Mazzer Mini & Solis Maestro...
Vac Pot: got one of those too
Drip: Aeropress, Clarity, FP,...
Roaster: SC/TO
Posted Sat Apr 30, 2005, 6:20pm

this is what I use with my grinders.  I still have one from my old LP days dating back to the 70's and it still works.  I bet you could find one on ebay or look at thrift stores and garage sales.   Works great.  

Click Here (www.lpgear.com)
earlds
earlds
Posted Sat Apr 30, 2005, 7:51pm

Thats a great idea scubado..Espresso is just a messy buisness..By the by, I still have an lp collection[about 3000]..Music is art..Old music is classic..Please excuse the rant..You might also try a waiters brush....Earl D.......
PJK
PJK

Espresso: Rancillo Silvia, Tonic...
Grinder: Modified Rocky, Elma side...
Vac Pot: Old Silex
Drip: Melitta BCM 4  +Some old...
Roaster: Hottop, Modified Z&D,...
Posted Tue May 3, 2005, 12:42am

I brought the coffee grinder home with me to work on.  The machine is a Melitta MEBG8B.  They call it a Programable coffee mill.

I did the mod which I described on it tonight.  The mod ammounts to lining the plastic grounds box with sticky-back aluminum foil.

I can report that the differerence in static is vast.  Before the mod it was not possible to get coffee out of this thing without having grounds all over the counter. Now it is no more messy than my *$ Barista or even my Rocky before mods.

I will attempt to post pictures.  This will take four posts since if it is possible to put more than one picture in one post I sure don't know how.

The first picture is the machine before mods.

Phil

PJK Said:

I have pondered this question myself with regards to the *$ grinder which is basicly a Solis166 rebadged.  What I was leaning to was to cut some rectangular sections out of 1/8" mild steel and braze them together into a rectangular box.  The plastic box in the Solis 166 has a curved front and rear but a rectangular box would fit the cavity in the machine and the grounds would drop into it.

The grounds box on the newer Solis is different.  I don't know if a simple rectangular box will fit without the machine in front of me.

The problem in my *$ isn't all that bad so I never got around to it.  

If I had thought about the sticky back foil at the time I would have done it.

This weekend we are going to my daughter's house where I have a Melitta POC
Van de Graff burr grinder.  This thing is second only to the Braun KMM30 in its ability to spread coffee grounds over the kitchen.  It is also close in its ability to cause hearing loss.
I will take some sticky back aluminum foil and an Exacto knife with me and see if I can civilize the nasty thing.

Phil

PJK: MVC-001S.JPG
(Click for larger image)

Philip J. Keleshian
showing page 3 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > What a mess...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.326060056686)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+