Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
What a mess...
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > What a mess...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
PJK
PJK
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Rancillo Silvia, Tonic...
Grinder: Modified Rocky, Elma side...
Vac Pot: Old Silex
Drip: Melitta BCM 4  +Some old...
Roaster: Hottop, Modified Z&D,...
Posted Thu Apr 28, 2005, 7:37pm
Subject: Re: What a mess...

There is some sort of aluminum tape with a peel and stick surface which I believe is used for duct sealing.  It may be available at hardware stores.  There is also peel and stick copper tape which is used for RF shielding.

Phil

Philip J. Keleshian
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
jliedeka
jliedeka
Expertise: I live coffee

Grinder: Rocky Stainless
Drip: Technivorm, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor, heat gun
Posted Thu Apr 28, 2005, 8:19pm

I'm not an engineer or physicist so take this with a huge pinch of salt.  I've noticed a slight amount of static with my Rocky, especially with dry winter air and especially when there is a lot of chaff.  My guess is that during the grinding process, somehow the coffee particles either lose or gain electrons.  I'm guessing somehow they gain electrons but I'm not able to justify that statement.  It would be worth trying:

a) a simple aluminium foil lining in the grounds catcher
b) (a) plus a connection to the frame of the grinder, that should act as a positive ground and dispel any negative charge.

I've also heard of using a static gun for vinyl LPs but I don't think they are common these days.

Jim

Cafe todo el dia, tequila toda la noche
 View Profile Link to this post
JR
JR

Espresso: Old Coffee Gaggia (x2.5)
Grinder: Cunill Tranquilo
Drip: Bona Vita (Thermal)
Roaster: GG/UFO
Posted Thu Apr 28, 2005, 8:27pm

I can't back this up with any science, but here's what I did, and it seemed to help:

After grinding, I pulled the bin out just enough to insert a metal spoon.  I'd stir the spoon around the bin, and it seemed to dissipate the static.

Jack

www.PainFreeComputing.com
http://www.GaggiaUsersGroup.com
www.IsuzuPup.com
Mattizzle

Grinder: Solis  Maestro
Drip: Technivorm KBT-741
Posted Thu Apr 28, 2005, 8:30pm

Okay, I tried lining the inside of the bay that houses the container with aluminum foil.  It didn't work because the opening for the container is an EXACT fit with no room for even a thin sheet of foil.

I agree with jliedeka that it seems to make more sense to line the container itself with foil.  I'm all coffee'd out for the day, so I'll try it in the morning.

Oh yeah, I still gotta try the suggested solution of putting a few drops of water in with the beans.  I'll try that first and let ya'll know.

Tanky!

-M
Schwa

Grinder: Solis Maestro +
Vac Pot: B&D Infuze
Drip: Technovorm
Roaster: Alp, HG
Posted Thu Apr 28, 2005, 8:45pm

I wet my fingers and play with the beans before grinding. Works like a charm.
Mattizzle

Posted Thu Apr 28, 2005, 9:07pm

Schwa Said:

I wet my fingers and play with the beans before grinding. Works like a charm.

Posted April 28, 2005 link

LMAO!  Anyone want to touch that one?
PJK
PJK

Posted Thu Apr 28, 2005, 11:48pm

My guess is that lining the outside of the grounds hopper (or the receptical into which it fits) could make things worse.  The plastic hopper is an insulator.  What you want is a conductive inside to get all the grounds at the same potential.

Phil

Philip J. Keleshian
PJK
PJK

Posted Fri Apr 29, 2005, 12:21am

Hi Jim,

I have a Rocky which I have modified.  I gutted the doser chamber and had a stainless steel canning funnel machined to fit the cylindrical dosing chamber. I have a steel platform which is attached to a push rod passing thru the hole formerly occupied by the doser shaft.  I place a filter basket on the bottom of the canning funnel and lower them into the chamber on the platforum.  Now the basket and funnel are grounded to the frame of the machine (at least good enough for static electricty).  I then grind into the funnel and brush the grounds into the basket.   There is virtually no static.  I then give the grounds a little pre-tamp with the cheasy little tamper which came with Silvia.  It fits inside the cylindrical bore of the funnel.  Then I raise the platforum, seperate the basket from the funnel and tamp with my real tamper.

I like your suggestion to ground the grounds hopper lining to the frame of the machine.  If it can be done I think it will be worthwhile.

By the way as an old audiophile I do have a Zero-Stat.  I haven't yet put it to any coffee use.  Mostly my grandchildren and my son chase each other around the house with it.

Phil

Philip J. Keleshian
Mattizzle

Posted Fri Apr 29, 2005, 7:11am

Phil,

Thank you for clarifying.  I thought the suggestion was to line the inside of the container that catches the grounds, but it sounds like you suggest lining the grinding chamber itself.  That might be a little more complicated as it will require disassembling the grinder, but nothing I can't handle.

I'm a little light on my grinder terminology though, can you tell me what a "dosing chamber", "canning funnel", and a "doser shaft" are.

My wife made coffee this morning, and use pre-ground beans.  My tests of these suggestions will have to wait until tonight...

Thanks,

M
PJK
PJK

Posted Fri Apr 29, 2005, 7:47am

Hi M,

Sorry I got a bit distracted by the static talk in Jim's Rocky and what I did to improve mine.  The dosing chamber and doser shaft are parts of the infernal doser on the Rocky.  A canning funnel is a funnel intended for getting fruit into a jar during  canning.  It turns out that it is one of my very useful coffee tools.  I had one modified to fit into my Rocky.

OK back to the Solis.  The grounds hopper which I refered to is the receptical into which the ground coffee falls.

I think you want the inside of that container to be electrically conductive to drain off what charge may be on the coffee grounds.  Covering the outside of the container with foil can make the situation worse since the plastic is a dielectric (insulator).  

I think Jim's suggestion of connecting the foil which is to line the inside of the grounds hopper to the frame of the machine is a good one.  That way the inside of the grounds hopper will be at the same potential as the inerds of the machine.  It may be a bit difficult to do and will make the construction of a metal grounds hopper more attractive.  Also the machine has a two wire cord.  If you connect the now conductive grounds hopper to the inside of the machine you should replace the cord with a three wire cord with the green wire connected to the machine frame.  This is for safety.

I would try lining the inside of the hopper with foil first.  If that makes a sufficient improvment, I wouldn't mess with the inside of the machine.

Phil

Mattizzle Said:

Phil,

Thank you for clarifying.  I thought the suggestion was to line the inside of the container that catches the grounds, but it sounds like you suggest lining the grinding chamber itself.  That might be a little more complicated as it will require disassembling the grinder, but nothing I can't handle.

I'm a little light on my grinder terminology though, can you tell me what a "dosing chamber", "canning funnel", and a "doser shaft" are.

My wife made coffee this morning, and use pre-ground beans.  My tests of these suggestions will have to wait until tonight...

Thanks,

M

Posted April 29, 2005 link

Philip J. Keleshian
showing page 2 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > What a mess...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.327955007553)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+