Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
Gene Cafe still not getting up to temp after cleaning
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Gene Cafe still...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
thCapn

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Thu May 8, 2014, 3:16pm
Subject: Gene Cafe still not getting up to temp after cleaning

Took it apart, cleaned, lubed, etc. Whereas before the cleaning the temp was maxxing at 460F with the chaff exit clogging up and the thermostat switching off & on, it gets up to 467 now before cycling the heat and the chaff exit clogging.

Either the fan has lost it's oomph, the thermostat has gone wonky or the chaff sweeper flap isn't doing it's job. I can see how cleaning added some fan power to get another seven degrees. Now I'm beginning to suspect the problem is the chaff sweeper flap.

What should I look for when examining the flap for problems that might lead to this symptom?

--
th' Cap'n
 View Profile Link to this post
DavecUK

Posted Thu May 8, 2014, 5:16pm
Subject: Re: Gene Cafe still not getting up to temp after cleaning

Check none of the slats at the exit of the chamber are bent, ensure they're all straight and in line. Ensure the metal centre piece (which holds the chaff flapper thing) of the roasting chamber is all the way down.
BoldJava
BoldJava

Espresso: '82 Oly Cremina 67
Grinder: Macap MC4 Doserless Stepped
Vac Pot: Yamas
Drip: Hario, Beehouse, Cilio, Kone...
Roaster: RK Drum and Gene
Posted Fri May 9, 2014, 6:38am

thCapn Said:

Took it apart, cleaned, lubed, etc. Whereas before the cleaning the temp was maxxing at 460F with the chaff exit clogging up and the thermostat switching off & on, it gets up to 467 now before cycling the heat and the chaff exit clogging.

--
th' Cap'n

Posted May 8, 2014 link

How old is the heater?  After a period of time, the heater coils lose the capacity to convert electricity (diminished resistance) to heat and the temps will suffer.

"On the trail for the goats' grail..."

Dave Borton
St Paul, MN
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
svyerkgeniiy

Espresso: (-ish) Bialetti moka pot
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Vac Pot: Yama (large 8-cup)
Drip: Technivorm KBT; Clever...
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Fri May 9, 2014, 8:05am

The Gene has always had heater reliability problems.

The original heating system was rated only for 110V, and anything above that (115 or 120 is common) would damage it over time and cause the system to lose heating capacity.  In my case I found that the heater would cut off before reaching temperature, perhaps it was some self-protection thing.  When I contacted the supplier, he informed me of the issue and eventually sent out a higher-rated unit.  However, I found I still had similar problems later, it was tricky to keep the temps up and the heat would cut out unexpectedly.

Soon after that I broke a plastic internal gear and never went back to the Gene.  (I did get replacement parts, I just never put it back together properly and left it.)  Now I use a Behmor but I do miss the control of the Gene.  But the whole temp control finickyness put me off of it.  I roasted probably a whole 30 or 50lbs through it

EDIT: Did you check the fan intake for cleanness?  That can cause reduced airflow, mine was gunked up at one point when the distributor recommended I check it.

--dv

Donald Varona
BatchCoffee
BatchCoffee
Expertise: Professional

Roaster: Gene Cafe
Posted Fri May 9, 2014, 8:27am

Good morning. Batch Coffee is the US Importer of the Gene Cafes. Sorry you're having trouble with it. Did make sure to clean the bottom of the roaster (the plastic grate, which is the air intake for the fan)? If you're still having trouble after doing this, feel free to contact directly at support@batchcoffee.com.
thCapn

Posted Fri May 9, 2014, 1:30pm

Thanks fore the replies.

Yes, everything was cleaned well, compressed air, power vac, wiping and swabbing, disassembly and reassembly, etc. The heating unit is only about a year old and I'm getting a reasonably consistent 112V from the wall. The outlet vent fins in the chamber are in good condition.

Anyway, I think I've found the culprit: The chaff flap in the roasting chamber.

The flap has little ridges in it that match the fins in the outlet vent. The ridges help push the chaff through the vent as the flap sweeps over it. The flap on my Gene is very worn down and the ridges are almost gone. Hence, the ability of the flap to push chaff out is greatly reduced, which leads to chaff clogging the outlet, which leads to reduced airflow, which leads to temp problems, etcetera, etcetera.

I was able to visually compare the flap on my Gene to the demo unit at the local coffee geek shop here in Portland, Oregon, Mr. Green Beans. The difference is very obvious.

I ordered a replacement flap through the shop.
BoldJava
BoldJava

Espresso: '82 Oly Cremina 67
Grinder: Macap MC4 Doserless Stepped
Vac Pot: Yamas
Drip: Hario, Beehouse, Cilio, Kone...
Roaster: RK Drum and Gene
Posted Sat May 10, 2014, 7:35am

thCapn Said:

Thanks fore the replies.

Yes, everything was cleaned well, compressed air, power vac, wiping and swabbing, disassembly and reassembly, etc. The heating unit is only about a year old and I'm getting a reasonably consistent 112V from the wall. The outlet vent fins in the chamber are in good condition.

Posted May 9, 2014 link

FWIW, I found 112V inadequate voltage for the Gene and use an old variac to keep the voltage at 119.7 while roasting.

"On the trail for the goats' grail..."

Dave Borton
St Paul, MN
DavecUK

Posted Sat May 10, 2014, 8:40am

thCapn Said:

Thanks fore the replies.

Anyway, I think I've found the culprit: The chaff flap in the roasting chamber.

The flap has little ridges in it that match the fins in the outlet vent. The ridges help push the chaff through the vent as the flap sweeps over it. The flap on my Gene is very worn down and the ridges are almost gone. Hence, the ability of the flap to push chaff out is greatly reduced, which leads to chaff clogging the outlet, which leads to reduced airflow, which leads to temp problems, etcetera, etcetera.

I was able to visually compare the flap on my Gene to the demo unit at the local coffee geek shop here in Portland, Oregon, Mr. Green Beans. The difference is very obvious.

I ordered a replacement flap through the shop.

Posted May 9, 2014 link

While your waiting, get your existing flap and with a small needle file you should be able to reprofile it......there is usually enough slack in the rings holding the flap for this to work fine 1 time. You can do this without removing it from the machine, just withdraw the central piece from the roasting chamber.
thCapn

Posted Sun May 11, 2014, 7:59am

Good idea on the filing, thanks.

The Variac is a consideration. I have other budget priorities right now, though.
merlot85

Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: baratza encore
Roaster: gene cafe
Posted Sat Sep 27, 2014, 1:14pm

My Gene Cafe is 6 yrs old and I roast 3 or 4 batches about every 2 weeks. Over the period of about 3 months the temp was not getting up to max setting and finally would not go over 400 deg. It would take 20 minutes to roast a batch with poor results. After reading many comments on this site I was pretty sure it was an air flow issue but after cleaning and vacuuming all inlet and outlets and making sure fan screen was clear, same problem. So I took it apart, pulled the heater out to get to the fan and OMG. The fan blades were packed with dust that I couldn't even vacuum out.  I scraped each blade until they were all clean, put everything back together and VOILA, my roaster is like new.  Thanks to a lot of the comments on this site I was able to fix it.
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Gene Cafe still...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.27992606163)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+