Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
New Behmor 1600 Plus
Quick Mill Machines
Free extended warranty & shipping. Enter email for best price / match
espressooutlet.net

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > New Behmor 1600...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 9 of 49 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
IMAWriter
IMAWriter
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600+, CO/UFO combo
Posted Thu May 8, 2014, 1:51pm
Subject: Re: New Behmor 1600 Plus

TeddyMac Said:

And true confession: I love cleaning up chaff. Does that make me weird?)

Posted May 8, 2014 link

Yes! LOL
Actually, I'm sure many of us dump our chaff into the garden, same as I do with spent coffee grounds.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
TeddyMac

Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Capresso Infinity
Vac Pot: Yama stovetop, Hario...
Drip: Hario woodneck, Bona-Vita...
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Tue May 13, 2014, 6:45am

Maybe I have an ulterior motive to enjoy the cleaning up... As the chaff on the floor moves around while I sweep it up, the cats try desperately to chase it. It's completely ungrabbable and elusive, of course, and thus hysterical to watch their frantic chase. So if I pulled the chaff gingerly from the roaster or easily vacuumed it from the floor, what would be the fun in that?
 View Profile Link to this post
The_Coffee_Guy
The_Coffee_Guy

Grinder: Baratza Encore
Drip: Behmor BraZen Brew System,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Tue May 13, 2014, 7:43pm

Is there an ETA for the boards or Plus versions to be coming to Canada? If I had a button on the computer keyboard called "1600" I would be keeping my finger on it getting ready to push :). With the currency exchange its a question of price point and availability of the original here  and then upgrading the board vs just waiting for a Plus ...
Delish007

Espresso: Ms Silvia Auber PID
Grinder: Vario
Vac Pot: Aeropress if you will
Drip: Capresso MT600
Roaster: Behmor+, Twin 1200W poppers
Posted Tue May 13, 2014, 8:12pm

You and me both eh waitin in Trawna! I've got the button set up on my iPad like a newby coffee geek with a nervous twitch-too many cups of coffee today........--..,:;-??    Lol. Anyways I think Joe is enjoying central park in fall in Melbourne at the coffee expo - MICE.. I say we bug him when he gets back for an update early next week.   Til then my twin 1200W poppers and the heat of summer roasting..

Scott
MarkPrince

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: KvdW Speedster
Grinder: Versalab M3 Grinder
Vac Pot: A bit too many
Drip: Bonavita
Roaster: Hario Glass Retro Roaster
Posted Wed May 14, 2014, 12:48pm

Here's our show report from visiting the Behmor booth at the SCAA 2014 expo.

"Behmor 1600 Plus Roaster, Brazen Plus Brewer - SCAA 2014 Show Report"

Mark

CoffeeGeek Senior Editor
www.twitter.com/coffeegeek www.flickr.com/coffeegeek, www.instagram.com/coffeegeek (you get the picture)
Sullybob

Posted Wed May 14, 2014, 4:21pm

IMAWriter Said:

Shawn, we owners are excited as well.
As solid a roaster as it is presently, it now appears we'll have more control and feedback, always a great thing.

BTW, though you've been a member a while, and as this is your first posting, welcome to the Forums!

Posted May 5, 2014 link

Thanks for the welcome!

I've been roasting on a Behmor for nearly two and a half years and lately I have been wishing for more control.  This could be just what I need.
z0mbie
z0mbie

Posted Sat May 17, 2014, 1:23pm

This is great news.  My interest in getting a tabletop setup is renewed.  

As a hand-roaster, I sort of revel in the fact that everything about it is manual, including controlling the roast profile.   But there's one thing I can't do that a machine will do--scale up.   I roast in 4 oz batches, and it keeps my roasting sessions very short and convenient.  But now that I'm getting lots of requests from family, friends and co-workers to roast them coffee, I am greatly considering this new and improved Behmor 1600 Plus.

How many of you are ex-handroasters that switched to the Behmor and did you find it was equally satisfying or did you continue to hand roast?   I'm not sure this would replace my hand-roasting (I enjoy it quite much), but will definitely come in handy.  My biggest concern that left me not getting a roaster is spending money on a machine that does not let me replicate the same level of control I had roasting by hand. I had even considered a much larger setup but it's a much more serious commitment than I was willing to make.
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Posted Sat May 17, 2014, 2:14pm

By "Hand" roaster, do you mean an air popper?
If yours aren't modified, then Behmor is WAY more profitable, even the original.

Hey, if your having to roast gratis for friends, relatives and such (we all do...LOl) let them buy you the roaster!! LOL

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
www.robertjason.com
z0mbie
z0mbie

Posted Sat May 17, 2014, 2:41pm

IMAWriter Said:

By "Hand" roaster, do you mean an air popper?
If yours aren't modified, then Behmor is WAY more profitable, even the original.

Hey, if your having to roast gratis for friends, relatives and such (we all do...LOl) let them buy you the roaster!! LOL

Posted May 17, 2014 link

haha that's a great idea!  i'm going to create a scotty-fund for my friends to contribute to.. I'm honestly sure they won't mind if they're gonna get to drink my magical brews :P

And sorry, yeah "hand-roasting" was meant to encompass all forms non-machine roasting. .   My particular hand roasting method I developed quite similar to jiffy-pop, which involves exactly what you think--manually shaking a bunch of beans over the stove in a foil-sealed pan (or in my case, pot).    It's has been a highly controllable, consistent technique that has yielded about as even a roast any I've purchased from artisan roasters.  I absolutely love doing it and am wowed every time I peel open the seal :).    Best of, it allows me to roast indoors without smoking up the place.
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Posted Sat May 17, 2014, 2:52pm

Scotty...my bad. You mean Literally roasting by hand, not with an air popper (pop corn popper.)

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
www.robertjason.com
showing page 9 of 49 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > New Behmor 1600...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Great Espresso at Home
Curated selection of the best machines from La Spaziale, Izzo, Quick Mill, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.338248968124)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+