Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
the art and science of coffee roasting
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > the art and...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
z0mbie
z0mbie
Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Fri May 2, 2014, 9:41pm
Subject: the art and science of coffee roasting

As much as I've studied the science behind roasting (and I admit I am a wee lad of it) I must say that I am beginning to truly appreciate the art of it.

For many roasting is all about understanding and harnessing the controls to achieve a desired result.  And to do it consistently it requires a level of experience with the machine that no amount of education on paper can provide. Without the hands on of such equipment, one simply cannot master the roasting process.

The thing is, as an avid home roaster using nothing more than a small pot and a stove I can't help but marvel at capability such a primitive approach can achieve.  But because I'm working primarily with my senses, I deem the highly manual process mostly an art form. While there is certainly lots of science going on the process is anything but.  

I wonder what you guys think of your roasting own achievements?  

It has been a true joy learning to hand roast coffee and it's oh-so-satisfying to be able to hit my roast targets simply by 'feel'.

Most of my roasts have been medium or light medium but lately I've been stepping over to the darker side since my doesn't enjoy lighter roasts.

I been roasting French roast batches back to back that turned out perfectly and I felt like sharing my success with you guys.
 View Profile Link to this post
z0mbie
z0mbie

Posted Fri May 2, 2014, 9:48pm
Subject: Re: the art and science of coffee roasting

(Beans are Columbian, Huila from Bodhi Leaf).

z0mbie: FB_IMG_13990884052913850_20140502214837829.jpg
(Click for larger image)
boar_d_laze

Espresso: La Cimbali M21 DT/1 Junior...
Grinder: Ceado E92; "Bunnzilla"
Vac Pot: Royal Coffee Maker
Drip: Chemex + Kone; Espro Press
Roaster: USRC Sample Roaster
Posted Sat May 3, 2014, 10:32am

Hey Scotty,

"Art," standing by itself can be a difficult concept to pin down.  Too much "de gustibus."

The artisanal craft of roasting is a little easier and a little more objective, though.  It comes with the process of creating ideal profiles, executing them, cupping, and tweaking on that basis. The whole idea is to do things on purpose.  Consequently, part of being a good artisan means understanding enough roasting science to predict how certain things will effect the roast's in the cup qualities.

"Profiling" means breaking the roasting process into intervals; then creating and executing a plan for each interval.  It's easy to identify the common intervals -- Drying, Ramp, and Development -- as they occur by their smells, sights and sounds.  

Sadly, there's only so much agility and control you can get from unsophisticated equipment.  Similarly, there's only so far the sights, sounds, and smells of roast milestones can take you; a lot of refinement comes from anticipating milestones and acting proactively.  The more agile your roaster and the better its telemetry,  the closer you can cut the corners, and the more reactive you can be to correct a profile which is not moving according to plan.

Rich
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
z0mbie
z0mbie

Posted Sat May 3, 2014, 11:51am

Perhaps one day when I actually have the facilities to set up a bonafide pro micro roasting station, my goals and outlook would certainly change with that potential.

For now I'm reveling in what I'm actually able to create with a $4 pot and $4 worth of green coffee.  Yes it's a bit of boasting on my part but I truly am proud of the fact that I can do anything of the sort in my small humble apartment with one window and no ventilation.

For the time being I can only focus on developing my own 'facilities' and that in itself will keep me plenty busy if not at least entertained. That's why I really call it an art form because the results are blindly serendipitous and unscientific. It's more in line with my whole "oneness" with coffee philosophy, and this style of roasting is just another aspect of that thinking.  So for now my process of making coffee is nearly entirely manual, end to end. Roasting, grinding, brewing.  I guess you can say it's my"thing".. and everyone has one ;)

But reflecting on your advice I do take it to heart. My dream is to one day own a home with back yard and a garage where I can work on my car, build cool things (I love to weld), and maybe set up a professional roasting station as a side business.
OregonCityMan
OregonCityMan
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Salvatore SES Semi
Grinder: Ascaso I-2 mini
Roaster: Torrefattore 1KG, DIY 1/2lb
Posted Wed Jun 4, 2014, 3:00pm

And you are roasting with a jiffy pop? Those are good looking beans my friend. Before WWII this country boasted thousands of home roasters using skillets and coal or wood fired crank type machines. It was an all manual experience then.

I use a small stainless steel pot roaster I designed and spin it over a propane camp stove. The roaster has no bells or whistles but I get excellent results as I control the heat, and the speed of the roaster. The roaster is equipped with an agitator that I mount to the center axle and plenty of passive air flow in the form of holes in both ends of the roaster.

I do have a small 1 kilo electric commercial roaster that sits as I don't roast commercially anymore. I prefer the propane roaster as I get instant results when I turn the heat up or down.

You have what it takes my friend, fantasy.
z0mbie
z0mbie

Posted Wed Jun 4, 2014, 5:59pm

Thank you for that.  

What is the roaster that you have? 1 kilo doesn't sound small but I guess it is from a commercial standpoint..
hankua
hankua
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Salvatore One Black
Grinder: Major, Rossi, Tanzenia,...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, CCD
Roaster: Feima 800n
Posted Wed Jun 4, 2014, 8:58pm

Patrick's sauce pan roaster would be a good upgrade, I'm tempted to try one myself. Not totally original, but an improvement on a commercial hand cranked portable roaster.
kutis

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Thu Jun 5, 2014, 2:55am

I'd say that any form of self expression is art, and that goes well beyond paintings, sculptures, or music. Roasting (or cooking in general) is an art form similar to that of writing, yes there are "recipes" to roast coffee vis-a-vis formula or grammar to writing or story telling. However, the minutiae of your craft is what make your art yours. As others have put it so well here, happy roasting!
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > the art and...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.268646001816)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+