Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
Roasting under range hood with Quest M3
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Roasting under...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
BV_Climber
BV_Climber
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: QM. Vetrano 2B
Grinder: Compak K3 Touch, Virtuoso...
Roaster: Quest M3
Posted Sun Jan 26, 2014, 12:19am
Subject: Roasting under range hood with Quest M3

My wife and I are building a new townhome and will be installing a hood vent. I am limited by code in my area to a limit of 300 cfm's as I cannot alter the exterior of my property for make-up-air via condo board rules, this includes the roof. Luckily, I have a 6 inch external ducting, so I'm not totally limited, with a reasonably short run of 5 ft with one 90 degree bend in the ducting.

I am interested in a vent-a-hood as it claims it is an 'open cavity' as opposed to having mesh or slated screens to capture the smoke, meaning it claims industry equivalent of approx 450 cfms. As with anything there are trade-offs, and in this case, it's price. However, we will be installing something regardless so the coffee roasting here v.s. my garage is a bonus.

Batch size and roast degree will obviously effect smoke volume, and I vary rarely go into second crack and stick to 200 g batch sizes.

Does anyone have any insight/advice to this thought process, or other things I should perhaps consider? Is this enough capacity for the quest for air flow? I'm familiar with roasting on it, just not under a hood.

Thanks in advance.
 View Profile Link to this post
BarryR

Espresso: CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Clever...
Roaster: Hottop KN-8828B2-K
Posted Mon Jan 27, 2014, 4:55pm
Subject: Re: Roasting under range hood with Quest M3

I have a Hottop, not a Quest but I greatly reduced the smoke by making a cardboard "chimney" which helped greatly. It diverts the smoke from the back of the roaster up to the vent hood.
I also grab a large piece of flat cardboard right before I eject the beans and hold it up in front of the roaster so that little smoke escapes and it goes up to the vent hood.

Not sure, but I imagine a similar process could work with the Quest.
BV_Climber
BV_Climber

Posted Mon Jan 27, 2014, 8:57pm

Thanks, I was thinking something similar may work to act as a channel.

I appreciate the feedback. If anyone has other ideas or can comment on lingering smell that would be great.

Thanks,
Chris
gregr

Espresso: Livia 90
Grinder: Moka
Drip: CCD
Roaster: Huky
Posted Tue Jan 28, 2014, 7:19am

Have you attempted to talk to the HOA president about that 300 CFM limitation? It seems awfully conservative. Having lived in a townhouse for a long time I know that rules can and do get changed occasionally, and not always with a struggle.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
BV_Climber
BV_Climber

Posted Tue Jan 28, 2014, 9:01am

That's a good question. Unfortuneately they are only enforcing legislation in the province of Alberta and are bound by it. This was introduced a few years ago and of course is applicable for any new builds since the date. the limit comes from an attempt to encourage builders to make homes more air-tight and energy efficient here. This volume is the suggested limit that will not effect possible back drafts from appliances like hot water heaters and back drafting. If I chose to just install it without a permit, I could have a hard time selling in the future if someone hired a competant home inspector.

The only way around it for me is a make-up air system to counter act increased cfm's being blown out, and since exterior alteration is not permitted, i'm stuck in that sense. Even if I could obtain approval to alter it, say for an external vent, the common wall between units is likely to narrow to put wider ducting in it(say 10" ducting for a 900 cfm blower, 8" venting might fit), which is what my range is backing on to. I would also be way to cheap to rip out a brand new wall, cabinets, refinish etc. just to increase the size of the ducting.
gregr

Espresso: Livia 90
Grinder: Moka
Drip: CCD
Roaster: Huky
Posted Tue Jan 28, 2014, 10:38am

Ahh- more at play here than I considered. I hope you find something that works for you.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
robmatic

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Gaggia
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Drip: Hario V60, Clever
Posted Wed Apr 30, 2014, 1:02pm

What did you decide to do with your range hood project?

I know it's kinda late for input, but here is mine, since I have a quest also. The quest fan is a standard computer fan, and only itself moves about 50 CFM, so I would think that with some directional assistance on the exhaust port (ie, some kind of ducting or chimney) a 300 CFM range hood fan would be more than enough.

I roast semi-outdoors in an enclosed patio, but I still use an exhaust fan with my quest. I've got a low speed inline duct booster fan attached to some flexible dryer vent tubing that I can bend into position, and it sits about 1" from the quest exhaust. It does a fine job of keeping the room smoke free.

Please let us know how it all turned out!
BV_Climber
BV_Climber

Posted Wed Aug 13, 2014, 12:50pm

Thread revival! I have finally moved into my place. I opted out of the kitchen and roasting under a hood vent as I wanted a permanent coffee roasting station set up. So, I went with a 4 foot section in my heated garage with a table set up for the quest, scale for weighing beans and a bit of a work station. The garage is heated thankfully so it'll never get too cold (hopefully in there). I also have the most amazing brother in-law who gave me a broan 220 cfm range hood for free from a recent kitchen remodel, so I'll be mounting this on the wall above the quest and venting everything under the garage door. Pics to come once the install is complete. Should be pretty slick.

Looking forward to no more set up, prep roster area, clean up and take down. Will save me lots of time in the process!

Does anyone else get crazy sneezing fits from the smoke roasting coffee? I had to start using a mask, even when it was ducted out the window??
BV_Climber
BV_Climber

Posted Tue Aug 19, 2014, 11:36am

Finally have my roasting station set up in the garage. Works well but going into darker roasts at 300g (blackened drum) charges the 220 cfm hood vent doesn't quite keep up. I think it will work better if I vent the quest directly into the main duct line with a t joint so I don't overload the hood vent. Overall works really well! I just vent underneath the door and use 2 2X12's that are 8 ft long to stop air blowing back into the garage. I did a large roast session yesterday and the residual smell in the garage is minimal.

BV_Climber: garage roaster2.jpg
(Click for larger image)
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Roasting under...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.250231981277)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+