Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
New Behmor 1600 Plus
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > New Behmor 1600...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 8 of 20 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
Delish007

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Ms Silvia Auber PID
Grinder: Vario
Vac Pot: Aeropress
Drip: Capresso MT600
Roaster: Toastmaster 1200W Popper
Posted Tue May 6, 2014, 6:36pm
Subject: Re: New Behmor 1600 Plus

Hey Rob,  Do you mind posting a pic of your small 3spd fan setup used during cooling for us Behmor soon to be plus owners?  Any other tips on cooling.  I use a spritzer water spray bottle with a metal wire mesh small basket with handle to cool my popper beans currently.  Any issue with over spraying imparting off flavour if moisture sits on the beans and lid is closed on 1 cup mason jars?  I do 70g batches and they each get their own jar.  How long should I leave uncovered to ensure fully cooled/dry?

Scott
 View Profile Link to this post
CraigA
CraigA

Espresso: PID/PressureMod 2001...
Grinder: BUNN FPG-2 DBC, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos manual, Yama 5...
Drip: Behmor BraZen, BUNN VPR-APS,...
Roaster: Refurb Behmor 1600, BBQ...
Posted Tue May 6, 2014, 7:32pm

Hey Scott,

I'm not Rob, but I happened to be puttering around & read your post so I just though I would post a pic of my 3 speed fan that I use.
I don't put mine on the opened door, but I aim mine from the right hand side of the roaster & blowing crosswise to the left. I do it this way so that the air stream from my hand held 3 way fan isn't fighting the cooling air output from the roasters bean cooling squirrel cage fan.

The air blowing crosswise is more efficient I believe in scavenging & pulling out the hot air. {;-)

CraigA: phpUbCuhlPM.jpg
(Click for larger image)

http://twitter.com/CoffeegeekCraig
http://www.facebook.com/craig.andrews.169

Excellent coffee doesn't just happen!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600, CO/UFO combo
Posted Tue May 6, 2014, 7:42pm

Mine is a bit smaller, maybe about 10" in diameter. It's pretty powerful though. Don't get one that rotates, and look for the lightest weight without being all plastic. I've nom problems with my door in the 3 years I've been doing this.
perhaps with the faster spin promised with the new Control panel, the fan might not be necessary.

As mentioned in the manual, it's always good to anticipate ahead a bit as to what roast degree you want, and go to the cool down a wee bit before that, to allow the roast to "coast" those last 30-45 seconds at the start of the cool down.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
CraigA
CraigA

Posted Tue May 6, 2014, 7:47pm

IMAWriter Said:

Mine is a bit smaller, maybe about 10" in diameter.

Posted May 6, 2014 link

Mine isn't a big fan, it only looks big with the close up with my webcam. My fan blade diameter is only 5" & to the outside of the fan shroud, it's 8" Rob.

View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600, CO/UFO combo
Posted Tue May 6, 2014, 7:56pm

CraigA Said:

Mine isn't a big fan, it only looks big with the close up with my webcam. My fan blade diameter is only 5" & to the outside of the fan shroud, it's 8" Rob.

Posted May 6, 2014 link

Sorry, I ofFAN make mistakes. ;>D

I forgot to mention, in reference to spritzing the beans, I no longer do so. I read somewhere this generally not good. Can't remember the reason now.
Probably the only thing I read in all my Ken Davids books I nom longer consider. Off topic, but Ken's books are a wonderful resource.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
CraigA
CraigA

Posted Tue May 6, 2014, 8:03pm

Nothin' to be sorry for Rob.

EricBNC
EricBNC
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: QM Silvano, LP Stradivarius,...
Grinder: K30, Major, Preciso, Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam C30, Bodum Santos...
Drip: Bonavita BV-1800,...
Roaster: Behmor, Melitta, Fresh...
Posted Wed May 7, 2014, 12:23am

Instead of blowing cooler air into the roasting area I use a cheap 2nd hand Hoover vacuum cleaner to suck the hot air out. I hold the hose close to the rotating basket during the cooling cycle. This gets rid of chaff too.

I chew coffee beans with my teeth while gargling with 195 F water to enjoy coffee. What is this "coffee brewing" device you speak of?
kboom1
kboom1

Espresso: Alex2HX,Alex Duetto,Rancilio...
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky,Vario
Roaster: Behmor x2 / USRC Sample...
Posted Wed May 7, 2014, 6:06am

EricBNC Said:

Instead of blowing cooler air into the roasting area I use a cheap 2nd hand Hoover vacuum cleaner to suck the hot air out. I hold the hose close to the rotating basket during the cooling cycle. This gets rid of chaff too.

Posted May 7, 2014 link

I do the same with my shop vac. I also take a leaf blower to the inside of my Behmor after cleaning out the chaff. It allows the walls to cool quicker and I can do back to back roast without having to wait 1/2 hr.

kboom1: DSCF0059 (FILEminimizer).JPG
(Click for larger image)
infinus

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Cheap POS
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Vac Pot: Broken by the cats!
Drip: Pour Over, Brazen,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Wed May 7, 2014, 12:37pm

Glad you are finally getting this out Joe! Exciting stuff! Can't wait to see how everyone likes their upgrades.
TeddyMac

Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Capresso Infinity
Vac Pot: Yama stovetop, Hario...
Drip: Hario woodneck, Bona-Vita...
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Thu May 8, 2014, 2:48pm

This is amazing. With one fell swoop, Joe is getting rid of the number one obstacle/complaint/annoyance people have registered over time about the Behmor, while still leaving the original programs that many love in place.

It makes me wonder what the manufacturers of other roasters that we needn't name are thinking at this point. The new manual mode on the Behmor, combined with its standout capacity and price point, could put a real dent in other roaster manufacturers' business, and thus potentially be a game changer.

Absolutely cannot wait.

(By the by, I open the door and use a blow dryer on Cool one minute after the Behmor's cooling starts. I too blow the air in diagonally rather than straight on; otherwise the blow dryer's air gets hot because of the intake of hot air from the roaster. And I've found that I don't need to do it more than about 3 minutes in order to bring the temps down pretty quickly, so I'm not standing there as my wrists get sore. And true confession: I love cleaning up chaff. Does that make me weird?)
showing page 8 of 20 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > New Behmor 1600...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.316570997238)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+